Can VSTi's be played in realtime?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Re: Can VSTi's be played in realtime?

Postby Thefumigator » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:58 pm

DGX305 wrote:what VST are you using there? Pretty good!

The video is subtitled so you can read which plugin I'm using in each part...
watch my first youtube video :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5Ct-BUrIM
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.
Thefumigator

Band: thefumigator

Advertisement:

Postby keb » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:39 pm

DGX305 wrote:
MrHope wrote:I bought a Riviera Sound Card. It's made by the same people who make SoundBlasters. There is no way to configure the ASIO on it, even though it does supply an ASIO driver. I think I need a new sound card. It's just as well because it's noisy as hell. The noise floor is like -51 dbfs when my keyboard is plugged into it. I tried ASIO4ALL, but it didn't work because my soundcard has no WDM drivers. It really ticked me off. I thought I was getting a good deal when I first bought my soundcard, but now I think it was a mistake. I have a suspicion that the MIDI on it is slightly faulty because sometimes my MIDI programs freeze when I click stop during recording, and sometimes bytes are lost during SysEx transfers. I'm so pissed off about this. I think I'll get an M-Audio soundcard. They have good latency and low noise. I'm running Windows 98 SE so I can't use some other soundcards. Computers are so frustrating.

You're living in another world! First of all, upgrade your PC to WindowXP and it may be cheaper and easier to simply buy a new PC. Any brand new PC that sells for just $500 (excluding monitor and printer) will probably do a much better job that whatever you are having now! Make sure to get a minimum of 512MB of RAM. Then load ASIO4all and run any VST. Get a decent soundcard and a good MIDI driver as well.

Man, people are running Vista Beta now, not just XP!

Gonna have to agree with this. Windows 98 is a dead OS and support is virtually nonexistent nowadays. Old Win98 drivers for older products may be available for download on some company websites, but with the latest and greatest hardware you probably won't find any support at all.
keb

Gear: Alesis Ion, Yamaha DX7II-D, Moog Taurus (Mk I)

Postby Bitexion » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:32 pm

Next time you have a little money left, don't buy a synth, upgrade your computer to Windows XP and better hardware (more ram, fast CPU etc). You are basically living in the stone age when it comes to your computer. You cannot expect new hardware and drivers to work on an obsolete OS, I'm sorry. Win98 is 8 years old now. You'll need a newer soundcard that supports the ASIO2.0 standard. This will make practically zero latency in MIDI applications, because they have more powerful hardware onboard. It's typical to blame the computer, but you can't just keep the same old system for decades and then blame the computer when things don't work :)
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby MrHope » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Windows 98 SE works for everything else I need to do. With only 128 MB of RAM I was able to run Cubasis VST with VST effects and instruments. Nowadays I use other programs for multitracking, but it works just fine. There are still plenty of good programs out there for Windows 98 SE. Windows XP would require me to get more RAM, but I dont really need it. I dont feel like spending the money on a new OS and RAM, when I can already get by ok without them.

I saw that I can still get an ASIO M-Audio soundcard, so that's what I'm going to do. Even the VSTi's already work, I just need lower latency is all.

I've worked on XP before and I didnt like it. I'm sticking with Win 98 SE. I've never had any glitches with audio multitracking. Eventually I'll get more RAM maybe, but so far i've been ok with just 128.
MrHope
No Longer Registered

Postby Thefumigator » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:56 pm

MrHope wrote:Windows 98 SE works for everything else I need to do. With only 128 MB of RAM I was able to run Cubasis VST with VST effects and instruments. Nowadays I use other programs for multitracking, but it works just fine. There are still plenty of good programs out there for Windows 98 SE. Windows XP would require me to get more RAM, but I dont really need it. I dont feel like spending the money on a new OS and RAM, when I can already get by ok without them.

I saw that I can still get an ASIO M-Audio soundcard, so that's what I'm going to do. Even the VSTi's already work, I just need lower latency is all.

I've worked on XP before and I didnt like it. I'm sticking with Win 98 SE. I've never had any glitches with audio multitracking. Eventually I'll get more RAM maybe, but so far i've been ok with just 128.

I agree with you, specially since the next year prices will plummet. Today, a machine like yours could be upgraded for little money. Imagine next year...

The M-audio card is a great one, but you could also consider the Emu 0404, specially because it has DSP effects that won't use your resources, specially taking into consideration your relatively low processor... just a thought
watch my first youtube video :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5Ct-BUrIM
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.
Thefumigator

Band: thefumigator

Postby berfmurret » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:47 am

with that computer you can kiss all your dreams of playing softsynths realtime (good luck with more than 2 or 3 at a time PERIOD).. do you not run any dsp on that computer at all? 98se with 128mb ram really sounds boarderline obsurd unless you are just multitracking straight audio which it sounds like youre doing and happy with.. or wait.. you dont use ASIO either? also.. boarderline obsurd. but yeah. no softsynths for you with that rig.. unless youre talking some vintage softsynths like rebirth or axs which runs in dos actually but sounds f0rking fat as hell, very jp-8000esqe.. im rambling.
berfmurret

Postby elmosexwhistle » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:57 am

xp machine....512meg of ram.....audigy soundcard....youll get your softsynths running fine...x
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Postby MrHope » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:20 pm

I mostly only do audio multitracking. But back when I had Cubasis VST, I loaded up some VST effects, lots of audio tracks, and a few VSTi's. It all worked just fine with only 128 MB. Nowadays, I only use about one VSTi at a time and render the audio to disk. My system is a little bit unique because I installed a bunch of Registry optimization hacks to increase performance. But, my system isn't overclocked or anything. My computer runs at 748 MHz with a 200 MHz bus speed.

I'm only using 44.1 kHz 16-bit audio files however. I can render to a 32 bit mixdown, but I prefer not to.

I just got an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard and things are working a bit better. The audio is already quieter without even changing bit resolutions.
MrHope
No Longer Registered

Postby Yeti » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:26 pm

i had to face the music myself. a while ago i finally got a new computer to replace my old windows 98 computer. i love that computer, but she just couldn't cut it, espcially the audio software. its really not too much money. i got my new souped comp for $350
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams....

Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-1, Microkorg, Boss DR-110, Yamaha RX5, Korg ER1, Casio MT70, MT68, EP30,SK1, Alesis HR16, Akai S1000, Reason, Guitars, Basses, Mandolin
Yeti

Postby Huppo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:43 pm

MrHope wrote: Eventually I'll get more RAM maybe, but so far i've been ok with just 128.

Be aware that Win98 can't use more than 256 meg of ram, so when you upgrade your ram, keep that in mind.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.
Huppo

Gear: V-synth, AN1X, Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, Micron, 50+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Previous

Return to Software Synthesizers