Alesis MMT8 sequencer emulator!

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Alesis MMT8 sequencer emulator!

Postby gmeredith » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:32 am

If anyone is a fan of the classic Alesis MMT8 sequencer, this might be of interest to you.

This is a freeware open-source project we are working on, here at the University of Tasmania in Australia. Some students in the computing school were looking for a project for their final year, and I suggested to them that they make a software MMT8, as I have an MMT8 and have always wanted a software program that would operate like it, instead of all the standard sequencing packages out there (too complex, not live gig orientated). Well, the project has been quite a success! It is called ViMMeR (Virtual Multitrack MIDI Recorder):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vimmer

and:

http://www.comp.utas.edu.au/projects-sb ... index.html

The software has just been submitted for marking at the University, so now it can be released to the public!

As I am the "client" that the team has been designing it for, the team is due to formally present it to me next week on 23rd October in an .exe binary form. The source code, however, can be downloaded now from the Sourceforge site, but you'll need to compile it yourself at this stage, until they upload the binary package after the presentation date. Anyone wishing to do so can find the source files in the Subversion menu on the Sourceforge site, in the src folder:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vimme ... src/Vimmer

The project is now in public domain, and anyone who is good at writing in C++ language is welcome to join the development team to continue working on it and improving it, and add features that you wished were in the real MMT8.

More info and news can also be found at the mmt8.com site.

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Advertisement:

Postby MrHope » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:18 pm

Thanks for that info. I used to have an MMT8 and I really miss it's simplicity. I look forward to downloading the EXE when it's ready.

I hope you guys include a MIDI Thru switch because a lot of sequencers forget to include one and it messes up sequencing with one computer and one keyboard because of the MIDI feedback. Please don't forget that.
MrHope
No Longer Registered

Postby gmeredith » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:05 am

Yes, it will have MIDI thru option, operating like the MMT8's MIDI thru.

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Postby Maschinengeist » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:52 am

I'll have a look for it too.

The GUI is sexy too!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Postby gmeredith » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:06 am

It is a sexy GUI, hey!!

At the moment, the sexy-gui .exe hasn't been put up for download yet - it's still just in it's source file form. There is a simple non-mmt8 looking GUI also, with standard menus and software type layout, which is up on the sourceforge site as an .exe, ready to download. It is basically the back end of the package without the MMT8 graphics, but it works the same way. I'm still trying to get the team to put up the mmt8 looking one as an .exe - they're right in exams at the moment, so it might be a few weeks yet. In the meantime, feel free to download the engine and beta-test it for them.

Here is the basic "where-its-at"

Release 0.2 is VERY BUGGY so be patient and supportive in the development.
You can't edit parts yet - but record and erase tracks or parts, quantise, track merge, part name, part length, track channel and transpose do work in part mode.

Song mode is working and you can edit and assemble parts to make songs.

Save and load are working but loading a sysex dump from a real mmt8 is still a bit buggy.

On just about ALL of those mentioned features, there are bugs, crashes and reliability problems, and it isn't really reliably useable yet. But it is just the beginning, you are witnessing the birth of a program, so the growth and development of it will gradually sort these things out.

What we need is people who can program in C++ language to join the development team, and help fix all these things, as the Team who developed it will be disbanding, now that they have completed their University degree, and only one person, Matt Harrold, will be continuing to develop it, so he needs new team members who can program/bugfix.
You can join the team by contacting him on the Sourceforge site:

Cheers
gmeredith

Postby gmeredith » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:01 am

Here is an update about the VMM-R virtual MMT8 software project.

The latest version VMM-R 0.2beta2 is up at sourceforge for downloading:

This update has fixed the missing 1st note of a recording in the
record count-in bar.

Current development:
the next version will have Part and Song copy/paste working, Part Edit
mode will have the beginning of some note editing features!

Please report any bugs or feature requests to the VMM-R Sourceforge
crew, as they're keen to know about any problems people are having.

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Return to Software Synthesizers