For you Japan fans: Richard Barbieri & Reason

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Postby japan » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:28 am

Wow...if you are Richard Barbieri, really, i have to say that i'm a BIG-BIG-BIG fan of your work...because of you i've been following an OB-X for months, and because of you, among other artists, i love synths to death...if you aren't Richard Barbieri, i'm a fool who believed too much...anyway, rich, wherever you are, i'm a huge fan of your work...thank you.

Japan :!:
"the simple life is no longer there..."
japan

Advertisement:

Re: Pathetic

Postby Thefumigator » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:35 am

Barbieri wrote:
burns46824 wrote:wow...pathetic that he's using reason. he made some great sounds back in the day

I like to think I still am. After 25 years I felt like a change and a challenge, so I embraced digital technology and software synths in particular. That's not to say I don't still use all the analogues, I just find some of these new soft synths quite interesting.
Reason is actually an amazing program if you are prepared to put in the work.

Nice Forum by the way, I've been checking it for a while.

Regards,

Richard Barbieri

Hi Richard, if you haven't yet, maybe you could try FL studio 6...(there's a downloadable demo for free out there) its hard the first times but once you get used to its way very flexible, I made several serious tunes of mine in 1 or 2 hours... don't think FL is to migrate from Reason, but the opposite, its more to add it to it (well at least that's what people who uses reason tells me there at www.sectionz.com) And also (If I'm not wrong) you could rewire reason to FL (never personally tried it).

Ah of course, you need to be on the PC to run FL... maybe you are on mac... uhmm

Well, if you are barbieri or not, that's my thought anyway.
watch my first youtube video :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5Ct-BUrIM
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.
Thefumigator

Band: thefumigator

Postby Barbieri » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:09 pm

japan wrote:Wow...if you are Richard Barbieri, really, i have to say that i'm a BIG-BIG-BIG fan of your work...because of you i've been following an OB-X for months, and because of you, among other artists, i love synths to death...if you aren't Richard Barbieri, i'm a fool who believed too much...anyway, rich, wherever you are, i'm a huge fan of your work...thank you.

Japan :!:

Thanks for your kind words and also for the PM's that I have received. I won't be responding to PM's but am happy to answer any questions from time to time and may have a few questions of my own as it looks like some of the people on this forum know their stuff !

Yes the OB-X is a lovely synth, wish I still had mine.

Regards,

Richard Barbieri
Barbieri

Postby burns46824 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:31 pm

Haha won't be responding to PMs? What? You don't reply when people ask you a question? Who's pretending to be Barbieri? Get off it, Stab Frenzy.
burns46824
No Longer Registered

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:08 am

Please excuse burns Barbieri, he's like our village idiot. You probably already know that though if you've been checking out the forums for a while. Hopefully he doesn't discourage you from sticking around! :)
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:41 am

Richard -

I checked out your downloadable stuff on your site: quite nice! It seems to be a logical progression from your work with Japan.

Woof! - Scott

P.S. - Stab: I thought your name was Michael Caine!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby kuniklo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:33 pm

It's fascinating that people like Richard and Paul Humphries of OMD are so much less particular about their gear than forum amateurs. Maybe it's not a coincidence that they write great music while the rest of us argue about graphs of saw waves.
kuniklo

Postby kuniklo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:40 pm

Richard - one question I'd really like to hear you answer:

As someone that's spent a career playing hardware instruments and recently also a big fan of the V-Synth for all it's hands-on realtime control, how are you adjusting to editing sounds on a small screen with a mouse? I ask because I love the convenience and flexibility of software but I much prefer the experience of playing and programming a real synth with a good interface, like a V-Synth or a Nord Lead, and I'm very curious to know how someone like you views the tradeoffs.
kuniklo

Postby Skwege » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:56 pm

kuniklo wrote:It's fascinating that people like Richard and Paul Humphries of OMD are so much less particular about their gear than forum amateurs. Maybe it's not a coincidence that they write great music while the rest of us argue about graphs of saw waves.

Well a good song is a good song. Whether its recorded with a PoS Casio Tonebank or with an Alesis Andromeda, the integrity of the song is still there. I think that is sometimes something that gets lost with all these gear hawks. Any jackass with a big wallet could go out and purchase a Korg OASYS, doesn't mean they have a clue as to what it takes to make a good composition.

Anyhow its fantastic that Richard dropped in to say a few words. Have been a big fan for years. Along with Roger O'Donnell, and Mick MacNeil, they are my trio of synthesis gods:-)
Skwege

Gear: Access Virus TI, Nord Lead 2X, Nord Lead 3, Yamaha S90ES

Postby Barbieri » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:21 am

kuniklo wrote:Richard - one question I'd really like to hear you answer:

As someone that's spent a career playing hardware instruments and recently also a big fan of the V-Synth for all it's hands-on realtime control, how are you adjusting to editing sounds on a small screen with a mouse? I ask because I love the convenience and flexibility of software but I much prefer the experience of playing and programming a real synth with a good interface, like a V-Synth or a Nord Lead, and I'm very curious to know how someone like you views the tradeoffs.

Like you I much prefer playing and programming hardware but it's sometimes very handy to have the flexibility and stability that a good software program offers , especially for live work. It got to the point where I was taking 2 Prophet 5's (one as a spare) around the world on long tours. The first Prophet would usually have problems after a couple of weeks and without my repair guy , there were no options or time to get it fixed so I'd start using the spare. This is what finally prompted me to replace the unstable part of the set up with virtual synths.
Using either a Pro 53 or Subtractor, I've set up the 16 controllers on the M Audio Radium to deal with the most used controls on the synth. I haven't yet achieved quite the same quality of distorted lead sounds that I had but that is the trade off. Quite possibly I might take out my Pro 1 for this next time round.
I find most keyboard players are generally altering and trying to refine their set ups. It's an ongoing process..
My current live set up is still hardware based though - V Synth, V Synth XT, Access Virus Indigo 2, Roland SH201, Ensoniq VFX, Roland JV2080, Nano Piano plus the laptop for synths and samplers.

Best regards,

Richard
Barbieri

Postby kuniklo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:09 am

Barbieri wrote:Like you I much prefer playing and programming hardware but it's sometimes very handy to have the flexibility and stability that a good software program offers , especially for live work. It got to the point where I was taking 2 Prophet 5's (one as a spare) around the world on long tours.

That makes sense. I can understand how you'd start to really appreciate the convenience and reliability of a virtual synth after a few years of this.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It's great to have people with your experience and perspective on the forum.
kuniklo

Postby burns46824 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:54 am

I don't know if this actually is Barbieri, but at this point I don't really care. This thread in itself is amusing.

So you think Pro-53 is pretty accurate then? Do you ever use the VS side...seems like THAT synth, if any, would suit you: dirty, percussive digitalia.
burns46824
No Longer Registered

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:11 am

burns46824 wrote:So you think Pro-53 is pretty accurate then? Do you ever use the VS side...seems like THAT synth, if any, would suit you: dirty, percussive digitalia.

Pro-53 doesn't have the VS stuff, you're thinking of Prophet-V. ;)
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby burns46824 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:38 am

Ooh. Yeah. NI vs. Arturia. NM.
burns46824
No Longer Registered

Postby braincandy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:50 am

Richard,

Have you had the chance to upgrade to Reason 3.0? I know that you said the Combinator was of particular interest to you, as you were still using Reason 2.5 at the time of your interview with Propellerheads.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects
braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Software Synthesizers