ModMethod wrote:My current MIDI gear including the supporting platform includes the following.
- (PC) 2.4P4, 1GB RAM, SB Live! Sound Card, Headphones [no monitors yet].
- (Gear) Prokeys 88, Telecaster
Here is my process
- (Prokeys 88 in) > (USB) > (Computer) > (Soft Synth) > (SBL!) > (Headphones out)
At step four is where the issues start. I’m using a sound card that isn’t designed for the functions I’m asking it to perform. The drivers (DX) are offering me around 42 ms of output latency in Absynth 3 which is unreasonable. I want to get the latency as low as I possibly can while monitoring my soft synths.
It would appear to me that a new sound processing unit is required to get the performance I expect. In the future (next few months) I will access to a new iMac (no PCI slots) which adds further dimensions to my hardware restrictions.
1) Do both Audio Cards, and Audio Interfaces process the digital signal, or does the Audio interface only sometimes process the signal depending on the model
2) Does an Audio Interface with ASIO(v.1,2) drivers manage the buffer size over sample rate in a more efficient way, or do all Audio Interfaces process the digital signal.
3) If that’s the case would an Audio Interface such as the FocusRight Saffire that includes onboard DSP be able to lower my soft synth latency, or will it only lower input processing (as in audio monitoring).
Here are a few items I’ve been looking at
DSP integrated interfaces
- Machie Spike
- Focusright Saffire [this is my current favorite]
ASIO driver based interfaces
- Presonus Firebox
- Edirol UA- 25
- M-Audio Mbox2
- M-Audio Fasttrack Pro
Thanks for reading my post, this my first post and as a beginning musician, and tech enthusiest I’m appreciative of your opinions, and suggestions, and questions answered.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests