Questions Conserning External/PCI Audio Interface'

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Questions Conserning External/PCI Audio Interface'

Postby ModMethod » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:03 am

My current MIDI gear including the supporting platform includes the following.
- (PC) 2.4P4, 1GB RAM, SB Live! Sound Card, Headphones [no monitors yet].
- (Gear) Prokeys 88, Telecaster

Here is my process
- (Prokeys 88 in) > (USB) > (Computer) > (Soft Synth) > (SBL!) > (Headphones out)

At step four is where the issues start. I’m using a sound card that isn’t designed for the functions I’m asking it to perform. The drivers (DX) are offering me around 42 ms of output latency in Absynth 3 which is unreasonable. I want to get the latency as low as I possibly can while monitoring my soft synths.
It would appear to me that a new sound processing unit is required to get the performance I expect. In the future (next few months) I will access to a new iMac (no PCI slots) which adds further dimensions to my hardware restrictions.

Questions
1) Do both Audio Cards, and Audio Interfaces process the digital signal, or does the Audio interface only sometimes process the signal depending on the model
2) Does an Audio Interface with ASIO(v.1,2) drivers manage the buffer size over sample rate in a more efficient way, or do all Audio Interfaces process the digital signal.
3) If that’s the case would an Audio Interface such as the FocusRight Saffire that includes onboard DSP be able to lower my soft synth latency, or will it only lower input processing (as in audio monitoring).

Here are a few items I’ve been looking at

DSP integrated interfaces
- Machie Spike
- Focusright Saffire [this is my current favorite]

ASIO driver based interfaces
- Presonus Firebox
- Edirol UA- 25
- M-Audio Mbox2
- M-Audio Fasttrack Pro

Thanks for reading my post, this my first post and as a beginning musician, and tech enthusiest I’m appreciative of your opinions, and suggestions, and questions answered.

-ModMethod
ModMethod

Advertisement:

Postby desdinova » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:04 pm

I would wholeheartedly suggest a new card but you could always use the kX drivers in the meantime. I think I was getting around 10ms latency with my old audigy.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery
desdinova

Re: Questions Conserning External/PCI Audio Interface'

Postby fingerbib2000 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:28 pm

ModMethod wrote:My current MIDI gear including the supporting platform includes the following.
- (PC) 2.4P4, 1GB RAM, SB Live! Sound Card, Headphones [no monitors yet].
- (Gear) Prokeys 88, Telecaster

Here is my process
- (Prokeys 88 in) > (USB) > (Computer) > (Soft Synth) > (SBL!) > (Headphones out)

At step four is where the issues start. I’m using a sound card that isn’t designed for the functions I’m asking it to perform. The drivers (DX) are offering me around 42 ms of output latency in Absynth 3 which is unreasonable. I want to get the latency as low as I possibly can while monitoring my soft synths.
It would appear to me that a new sound processing unit is required to get the performance I expect. In the future (next few months) I will access to a new iMac (no PCI slots) which adds further dimensions to my hardware restrictions.

Questions
1) Do both Audio Cards, and Audio Interfaces process the digital signal, or does the Audio interface only sometimes process the signal depending on the model
2) Does an Audio Interface with ASIO(v.1,2) drivers manage the buffer size over sample rate in a more efficient way, or do all Audio Interfaces process the digital signal.
3) If that’s the case would an Audio Interface such as the FocusRight Saffire that includes onboard DSP be able to lower my soft synth latency, or will it only lower input processing (as in audio monitoring).

Here are a few items I’ve been looking at

DSP integrated interfaces
- Machie Spike
- Focusright Saffire [this is my current favorite]

ASIO driver based interfaces
- Presonus Firebox
- Edirol UA- 25
- M-Audio Mbox2
- M-Audio Fasttrack Pro

Thanks for reading my post, this my first post and as a beginning musician, and tech enthusiest I’m appreciative of your opinions, and suggestions, and questions answered.

-ModMethod

the saffire's latency for soft synths is negligble, you won't notice any delay at all.

i don't understand your other questions...if an audio interface is outputting audio then it is processing it, i don't understand what you mean by'only sometimes processing it depending on the model'

also with question 2

"2) Does an Audio Interface with ASIO(v.1,2) drivers manage the buffer size over sample rate in a more efficient way, or do all Audio Interfaces process the digital signal."

ASIO drivers should give you better perfprmance, and most audio interfaces/soundcards will support that protocol
Sequential Circuits Pro-8, Rolands TB-303, MKS-80, JX-8P, SH-09. Waldorfs Microwave XT, Pulse. Yamahas RS7000, A4000, DX-200. 2 x Cheetah MS-6. Novations Supernova 1 & 2. Korg ER-1. Creamware Pulsar 2.
fingerbib2000

Postby MrHope » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:07 pm

On your PC, replace the SoundBlaster soundcard with a 24bit 96kHz ASIO soundcard such as the M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Be sure to download the latest drivers. The card sells for about 90 dollars and has MIDI connectors. The latency is about as low as 7ms which is fast enough for realtime VSTi playing. Use MIDI connectors instead of USB

I didn't really understand your other questions either.

You could network your PC and you Mac and share files between them. Or, you could use a 1 GB flash disc to transport data between the two. You can buy flash discs for about 30 dollars.
MrHope
No Longer Registered

Return to Software Synthesizers