Any software similar to the Fairlight CMI?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Any software similar to the Fairlight CMI?

Postby jrcv » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:47 am

Is there an existing software sampler that has features and an interface which are similar to what the Fairlight CMI offered?
jrcv
No Longer Registered

Advertisement:

Postby Bitexion » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:48 pm

Not in the slightest. Your best bet is to get some of the sample CD's containing Fairlight samples and load them into a software/hardware sampler. They have filters and such.

There is a few CD's I see recommended every time this comes up, but I don't remember the name of them.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby jrcv » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:17 pm

Bitexion wrote:Not in the slightest. Your best bet is to get some of the sample CD's containing Fairlight samples and load them into a software/hardware sampler. They have filters and such.

There is a few CD's I see recommended every time this comes up, but I don't remember the name of them.

I don't mean to go against your advice (which was informative), but I specifically need to know what are the available software samplers. Can you give a list?
jrcv
No Longer Registered

Postby calyx93 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:52 pm

It only takes a couple of searches (type "software sampler" or "soft sampler") to return results for the question you answered. Not to sound unhelpful, but couldn't you do this rather that letting someone else do the legwork for you?

Digital Domain makes/made a CD of the IIx library - pretty thorough, but the anti-aliasing filter was on pretty heavy, sot the samples are less than clear. It might be well worth it if you need a particular sound. http://www.pro-rec.com/samplecds.html
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Postby Bitexion » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:47 pm

Yeah, AFAIK, most of the Fairlight samples were not multisamples on the original synth, so a CD with just a single WAV file of each sound sampled from the middle C would give you the correct sounds in a sampler.

Native Instruments Kontakt is a good one, but not free.

Here is an amazing sample from 3 factory sounds: Cello, StrSolo and ChoirEns

http://www.sonicftp.com/uploaded_samples/synth/66.mp3

It really does sound special. Imagine when people heard this in the early 80's.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Postby calyx93 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Those samples are not from a II or IIx - that sounds more like the 16 bit III... maybe. The samples are far too clear, detailed, long and well-looped to even pretend to be a IIx preset.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Postby Bitexion » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:44 pm

I never said it was a IIx, the sample is a CMI III indeed. Found it when reading about the CMI3 on sonicstate.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular

Return to Software Synthesizers