best 8-channel audio interface

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

best 8-channel audio interface

Postby gryphon » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:50 am

i rent a PreSonus Firepod right now, and the clock seems to be a bit inconsistent sometimes (popping, etc.) and the preamps are, while not bad, a bit weird. (particularly for rhythmic elements like live drums, grooveboxes, etc.) I feel like there's some phase issues going on in the low end or something. Any suggestions for alternatives?
PEK, ms2000r, Z1,
gryphon

Advertisement:

Postby caligari » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:56 am

Rent?

I had some of the same problems with a Firepod that I used to have. It worked great for about six months and then the preamps went all to hell.

I now use a MOTU 828mkII and love it. No problems at all.

If you need 8 XLR inputs like the firpod then check out the new MOTU pre* interface that just came out. If it is like motu's other equipment then I'm sure it is worthwhile.
Current Rig : Mac G5, MOTU 828 mkII, Moog Minimoog, Arp Axxe, Korg Poly 61m, Korg Poly-800, Korg Microkorg, Ensoniq ESQ 1, SQ-80, EPS sampler, DX-27, DX-7, Rx-5 drum machine, Alesis HR-16, Boss Dr-55, Synare, PAIA 9700 system, Roland MKS-100,
caligari

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:00 am

For a mac I'd recommend anything by motu, they are rock solid on mac. The Ultralite, Traveller, 828mkII and 896HD are all worth a look in, depending on your budget and exact needs.

If you've got a bit more to spend check out the Metric Halo stuff, super nice and clean and very stable on a mac.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Return to Software Synthesizers