Reaktor 5 worth it?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Reaktor 5 worth it?

Postby JSRockit » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:15 pm

I want to get back into using some softsynths and drum machine. I'm done with Reason, want something a little slicker than Pluggo (which I have), so Reaktor 5 looks like a great set of tools for a great price. That said, I will not be making my own modules. Are the modules that come with it as good as they look...do they sound good? Also, do people still post their modules for others to use like they did years ago? I'd be using it in Live... and a little in Logic on a low-end MacBook. Will it runs these sufficient?
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Advertisement:

Postby spr » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:45 pm

Reaktor 5 is worth the asking price just for the factory ensembles that ship with it IMO. It's an amazing value. Some of those are a bit CPU hungry, but there are many users who have lower spec machines (there are plenty of low CPU ensembles that are amazing). And there are plenty of synths and fx to keep you busy without ever designing one. New ones still pop up as well, athough what is already in the user library is enough to keep you busy for years.

You may want to check the demo here:
http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... macdemo_us

I'm not sure what ensembles come with the demo, but if they are there, make sure to check out the "classics" folder. Those ensembles are much more CPU friendly.

Good luck.

spr
Virus C, Nord Modular, Juno 106, Korg MS2000R, D-550/PG-1000, Casio SK-1, Electrix Filter Factory, Lexicon MPX1, JD-990 w/Vintage Exp, Apogee Mini-Me, RME Multiface/PCI, UAD-1, Powercore Firewire, Cubase SX 3, Kontakt 2, Reaktor 5, Absynth 4, Battery 3
spr

Postby ThinkTanx » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:07 pm

spr wrote:Reaktor 5 is worth the asking price just for the factory ensembles that ship with it IMO. It's an amazing value. Some of those are a bit CPU hungry, but there are many users who have lower spec machines (there are plenty of low CPU ensembles that are amazing). And there are plenty of synths and fx to keep you busy without ever designing one. New ones still pop up as well, athough what is already in the user library is enough to keep you busy for years.
r

Absolutely agree. I think you would totally dig Reaktor, rockit. There is so much stuff in the user library, it is insane. Sometimes I just spend hours looking through it, trying stuff out, and keeping the best. And the factory stuff is worth the price, as well.

I was in the same boat as you. I didn't wanna spend the time making my own ensembles, and was worried about what the factory stuff had to offer. No need to worry. With the factory stuff and the user library, you are set. I especially love the fx, although many of them can be pretty CPU hungry for fx, a lot of them are multi-fx things that you can tweak forever.
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby MarkM » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:55 am

I've been a Reaktor user since Reaktor V3. Version 5 is great. And yes, those ensembles that ship with it are outstanding. I think Reaktor is the king of soft synths. There were some great V4 instruments that were great too. 5 ships with a bunch of those too. I think Reaktor is a good example of just how good soft synths can be.
MarkM

Postby ThinkTanx » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:59 am

MarkM wrote:I've been a Reaktor user since Reaktor V3. Version 5 is great. And yes, those ensembles that ship with it are outstanding. I think Reaktor is the king of soft synths. There were some great V4 instruments that were great too. 5 ships with a bunch of those too. I think Reaktor is a good example of just how good soft synths can be.

You're exactly right, Mark. Reaktor is the class of softsynths, and fully represents what a softsynth can and should be. It has everything. For just sheer sound-quality, nothing beats it.
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby HrBak » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:11 pm

I have a good friend and he uses Reaktor all the time. I have talked a lot with him about Reaktor, and we have both agreed that many of the softsynths
have "that" Reaktor sound, I think that's bad.

But I would still say that the FX section of Reaktor are amazing. There are so many different and unique fx's, that these alone would justify the price of Reaktor. And as mentioned, you get access to the user library where people have developed all sorts of fx's and synths.

I have considered to buy Reaktor many times just for the fx's

You can also download the demo version of Massive at ni's site. It sounds surprisingly good. Or Absynth (my favorite softsynth)
Letters and Leaves of Grass

Check The winter leaves at:
******* www.myspace.com/vickystudio *******
HrBak

Postby MarkM » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:45 pm

You're right about the effects. I think the Space Master reverb is outstanding. And then you get some wonderfully crazy FX like Lurker, Analogic Filter Box, Banaan Electrique, and Grainstates (just to name a few). I really love all the wacky step sequencer synths/samplers they offer like Wave Weaver and Massive 1.1.
MarkM

Postby JSRockit » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:13 pm

MarkM wrote: I really love all the wacky step sequencer synths/samplers they offer like Wave Weaver and Massive 1.1.

This is what I am interested in as well. For my type of music, I'd say that "reaktor sound" is not used much. I think I'm going to bite.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby HrBak » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:52 pm

JSRockit wrote:This is what I am interested in as well. For my type of music, I'd say that "reaktor sound" is not used much. I think I'm going to bite.

I think your right about that.

Just to make it clear about what I meant: I think many of the soft synths in Reaktor have pretty much the same timbre, and sometimes you can easily recognize it. For me it's a very characteristic timbre.

HrBak

Postby MarkM » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:16 pm

From what I have heard on your MySpace, Reaktor would perfect for you.
MarkM

Postby JSRockit » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 pm

HrBak wrote:
JSRockit wrote:This is what I am interested in as well. For my type of music, I'd say that "reaktor sound" is not used much. I think I'm going to bite.

I think your right about that.

Just to make it clear about what I meant: I think many of the soft synths in Reaktor have pretty much the same timbre, and sometimes you can easily recognize it. For me it's a very characteristic timbre.

I see... thanks for the clarification. :)
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby ThinkTanx » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:25 pm

I wouldn't totally disagree with the many synths in Reaktor having a typical 'timbre', but I wouldn't say it is a deal-breaker at all. In fact, I have never even thought about it much until you mentioned it, HrBak. I would, however, totally agree about the praise for the FX. It is the main reason I got Reaktor. They kill. A little CPU-hungry compared to your average fx, but, then again, these aren't your average fx.
ThinkTanx

Postby MarkM » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:14 pm

I think Reaktor is so many things (sampler, sequencer, synth, beat box, FX) that I would have a difficult time recognizing the characteristic sound of Reaktor.

To me, even the synths have a variety of sounds that would make it hard for me to distinguish Reaktor in a mix.
Last edited by MarkM on Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkM

Postby Pighood » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:24 pm

Reaktor is TOTALLY transparent.
Pighood

Postby HrBak » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:01 pm

Regarding the timbre of the softsynths I'm talking out from a subjective point of view, of course. I don't like the timbre very much, and though I have heard some great tracks made with Reaktors softsynths, I'm afraid I'm not gonna change my point of view.

Still I think that Reaktor probably are one of the best packages you can get

HrBak

Next

Return to Software Synthesizers