Reaktor 5 worth it?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Postby JSRockit » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:21 pm

HrBak wrote:Still I think that Reaktor probably are one of the best packages you can get

It's gotta be better than Reason no>?
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Advertisement:

Postby HrBak » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:40 pm

I wouldn't know, I have only worked with Reason a few times and I think it somehow was to toyish.

Also I think it perhaps would be difficult to compare Reaktor to Reason. The way I see the two programs is that Reason are more of a plug and play and make a track thing(But I could be wrong), while I see Reaktor as a more experimental thing.

I would at any time choose Reaktor. The fx's section are very exciting to me.
Letters and Leaves of Grass

Check The winter leaves at:
******* www.myspace.com/vickystudio *******
HrBak

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:49 am

Reason is a very nice all-in-one package. It has the sequencer and mixer all ready to go. There's quite a bit you can do with it. I'm not wild about the synths or the fact that you can't use vst's in it. The synths are adequate. I like the "CV" modulation aspect.

Reaktor is all about instruments and FX. It's instruments are far superior as well as its versatility. But you need a sequencer like Sonar or Cubase to do elaborate composing.
MarkM

Postby spr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:19 am

Reaktor is far more deep and complex than Reason. Although I would agree with MarkM, that it's advantageous to have a sequencer (Ableton Live should do quite nicely), you could easily record into Reaktor live, with the variety of tools and sequencers available (all at the cost of CPU overhead of course). Also, I will say that the "Reaktor sound" isn't easily identified anymore with version 4 and now especially 5.

When I first experienced Reaktor, I was absolutely floored. There is so much quality stuff in the factory ensembles and the user library, it's easy to get lost in them. I use it in virtually every project I work on. It's the most bang for the buck out of any softsynth IMO.

Here's some Reaktor 5 in action. This is exclusively programmed in a little synth called Oki Computer 2(which is kind of a SID chip emu), with no effects applied.
http://www.reaktions.com/compilations/m ... n-7819.mp3

These are also some older pieces that heavily feature Reaktor.
http://www.shawnprussell.com/media/catalyst.mp3
http://www.shawnprussell.com/media/Blac ... 20Rain.mp3

These examples are by no means supposed to display the full range of Reaktor's possibilities though! Hopefully it will be helpful to hear stuff in musical context.

Oh, and NI's new Massive wavetable synth (not to be confused with the beatbox/synth called Massive from Reaktor!) sounds phenomenal, but it's very demanding CPU-wise.

Good luck,
Shawn
Virus C, Nord Modular, Juno 106, Korg MS2000R, D-550/PG-1000, Casio SK-1, Electrix Filter Factory, Lexicon MPX1, JD-990 w/Vintage Exp, Apogee Mini-Me, RME Multiface/PCI, UAD-1, Powercore Firewire, Cubase SX 3, Kontakt 2, Reaktor 5, Absynth 4, Battery 3
spr

Postby JSRockit » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:56 pm

spr wrote:Here's some Reaktor 5 in action. This is exclusively programmed in a little synth called Oki Computer 2(which is kind of a SID chip emu), with no effects applied.

These examples are by no means supposed to display the full range of Reaktor's possibilities though! Hopefully it will be helpful to hear stuff in musical context.

Thanks for the demos.... the Oki was one I was really interested in.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby rivas3 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:55 pm

spr wrote:Reaktor is far more deep and complex than Reason. Although I would agree with MarkM, that it's advantageous to have a sequencer (Ableton Live should do quite nicely), you could easily record into Reaktor live, with the variety of tools and sequencers available (all at the cost of CPU overhead of course). Also, I will say that the "Reaktor sound" isn't easily identified anymore with version 4 and now especially 5.

When I first experienced Reaktor, I was absolutely floored. There is so much quality stuff in the factory ensembles and the user library, it's easy to get lost in them. I use it in virtually every project I work on. It's the most bang for the buck out of any softsynth IMO.

Here's some Reaktor 5 in action. This is exclusively programmed in a little synth called Oki Computer 2(which is kind of a SID chip emu), with no effects applied.

Oh, and NI's new Massive wavetable synth (not to be confused with the beatbox/synth called Massive from Reaktor!) sounds phenomenal, but it's very demanding CPU-wise.

Good luck,
Shawn

i was very impressed with your tracks spr. very gentle. ambient. im at work, its the morning, and they really put me in a peaceful state. thanks....
-rivas3
rivas3

Band: Bad Employees

Postby ThinkTanx » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:51 pm

Yeah, spr, some pretty cool stuff there. Inspired me to whip up Oki to lay down some pads on a new beat we programmed a couple of nights ago. I haven't used Oki a lot. It is pretty cool, although I haven't quite wrapped my head around it yet. Got any tips?
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby spr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:59 pm

Thanks for the comments, they are much apprciated :)

As far as getting your head around Oki, it's a fairly straightforward wavetable synth. I'd recommend picking a simple patch (if you're using 2.1, the patch called "Simple" is good!), and starting from scratch. It might be a good idea to take the table sequencer out of the equation initially, just to get a feel for the different waveforms, modulation possibilities, bit reduction etc. It's a bit deceptive, because it seems small at first, but you can get alot out of this little beast. Don't forget to assign waves to the wavetable position bar just below the waveform display! You can edit each individual one to your heart's content. The table sequencer and the recordable cc 1 make this synth quite flexible.

Have fun,
Shawn
Virus C, Nord Modular, Juno 106, Korg MS2000R, D-550/PG-1000, Casio SK-1, Electrix Filter Factory, Lexicon MPX1, JD-990 w/Vintage Exp, Apogee Mini-Me, RME Multiface/PCI, UAD-1, Powercore Firewire, Cubase SX 3, Kontakt 2, Reaktor 5, Absynth 4, Battery 3
spr

Postby Bill_Schroder » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:09 am

Do the sequencers on Reaktor send MIDI out? I would imagine they would. I would like to sequence my S-612 or Pro-One from one of the stranger step sequencers it has.
Ouch.
Bill_Schroder

Postby spr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:11 pm

Reaktor can send MIDI out, but only in standalone mode for some reason. If 16/44.1 is OK, you can record into Reaktor though. I sequence my synths with Reaktor, but I use my laptop and record into my RME card on my desktop, so I can get the bit rate I want. I wish I could do it in Cubase, but I don't believe it's possible at the moment.
spr

Postby JSRockit » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:56 pm

spr wrote: If 16/44.1 is OK, you can record into Reaktor though. I sequence my synths with Reaktor, but I use my laptop and record into my RME card on my desktop, so I can get the bit rate I want. I wish I could do it in Cubase, but I don't believe it's possible at the moment.

If you use the reaktor modules as plugins, why wouldn't you be able to record in any DAW of your choice? What am I missing? I'd need to know this before buying? Also, how do you record using Reaktor only? Is there a recording module?
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby spr » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 pm

You can record any audio Reaktor produces into your DAW, however, the issue I was referencing was the MIDI output using Reaktor as a plugin. For some reason, in VST mode, Reaktor won't output MIDI to another input. So if you wanted to use the output from an arpeggiator in Reaktor, and send it to the MIDI in of your AKAI in Cubase for example, it won't work. You would have to use Reaktor in standalone to send the MIDI, and record the audio however you could. Reaktor has no problems at all sending MIDI to itself however.

Reaktor has something called the recorder box, that is able to record output from your audio card, but the only drawback is that it records at 16/44.1.

But Reaktor functions as any other VST synth or effect. I was only pointing out that controlling hardware with Reaktor in Cubase isn't possible at the moment.

Hope that clears it up,
Shawn
spr

Postby JSRockit » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:52 pm

Yes, that cleared it up...thanks.

spr wrote:You can record any audio Reaktor produces into your DAW, however, the issue I was referencing was the MIDI output using Reaktor as a plugin. For some reason, in VST mode, Reaktor won't output MIDI to another input. So if you wanted to use the output from an arpeggiator in Reaktor, and send it to the MIDI in of your AKAI in Cubase for example, it won't work. You would have to use Reaktor in standalone to send the MIDI, and record the audio however you could. Reaktor has no problems at all sending MIDI to itself however.

Reaktor has something called the recorder box, that is able to record output from your audio card, but the only drawback is that it records at 16/44.1.

But Reaktor functions as any other VST synth or effect. I was only pointing out that controlling hardware with Reaktor in Cubase isn't possible at the moment.

Hope that clears it up,
Shawn
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby ThinkTanx » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:33 am

spr wrote:Thanks for the comments, they are much apprciated :)

As far as getting your head around Oki, it's a fairly straightforward wavetable synth. I'd recommend picking a simple patch (if you're using 2.1, the patch called "Simple" is good!), and starting from scratch. It might be a good idea to take the table sequencer out of the equation initially, just to get a feel for the different waveforms, modulation possibilities, bit reduction etc. It's a bit deceptive, because it seems small at first, but you can get alot out of this little beast. Don't forget to assign waves to the wavetable position bar just below the waveform display! You can edit each individual one to your heart's content. The table sequencer and the recordable cc 1 make this synth quite flexible.

Have fun,
Shawn

Yeah, there is a lot there, packed into a tight package. Very cool. I have been playing with it, getting some cool sounds. I finally just whipped out the manual and read up on it. Rather easily explained there.
ThinkTanx

Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Postby JSRockit » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:09 pm

How are the drum machines with built in sequencers?
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to Software Synthesizers