basic FL question

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

basic FL question

Postby Haydn » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:34 am

Noob question about Fruity Loops here... but i dont have a manual to refer to, so, yeah. I was just wondering how to change the tempo of a certain pattern. I know about the master tempo at the top but when i change that it changes the tempo on all the patterns. i just want to change the tempo on one of them.

thanks.
Haydn

Advertisement:

Postby putzgummycymbal » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:27 am

kind of an interesting idea, except to consider what you're trying to produce, I can only imagine it's some free running loops that don't need to sync up on certain beats eh? well FL is designed for all the patterns to play together in sync, now I've done some things to get past the blockiness that can result. takes kind of some math like thinking, but if the tempo you want "superimpose" over the master is in any way a rational ratio or whatever of the master, you can take your time and sequence it out in the spacings of the beats more spread or tighter. I like to choose 48 notches, and you find that a beat in 4/4 in 120 will yield you 3 bars per loops, and then you can take a downbeat on every 6 notches (1, 7, 13) and have 4 bars of 3/4 at 90, melded together, the most I can flex around it. OR simplify, if you have a multi tracking program, bounce your patterns seperately at their own tempos and arrange them in acid, or whatever, Audacity?[/list]
do you want to kiss me jim? yes I do! Simply tear into the sun.

you got it www.myspace.com/pierceaugust
putzgummycymbal

Postby Shleed » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Just bounce the pattern at a slower speed and re-introduce it into the song as an audio file... But FL tends to have quite an awful WAV bounce though. You best rewire FL into another sequencer first and then bounce the audio of that pattern through the other sequencer.
Shleed

Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Akai Miniak
Korg Monotron
Ensoniq EPS-16+
Band: Shleed

Postby Haydn » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:00 pm

dang... i thought just having a tempo change in a song would be a lot easier. i think im just gonna bounce my patterns seperatley into cubase. thanks for the help.

and also does anyone know where i can get some real drum kit samples for FL for free or relatively cheap?

thanks.
Haydn

Postby Thefumigator » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:58 pm

you can change the tempo of the whole song sudenly with automation, I do this sometimes to accelerate a song in the middle (as it happens in a polka)

As for accelerating one pattern only, I agree with what its mentioned here. you could record the pattern at the speed you want to audio and then load it as audio track. Amazingly unpractical tho...
watch my first youtube video :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5Ct-BUrIM
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.
Thefumigator

Band: thefumigator

Postby Shleed » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:46 pm

But it will also take less CPU usage, especially if you're using a CPU-intensive VST.
Shleed

Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Akai Miniak
Korg Monotron
Ensoniq EPS-16+
Band: Shleed

Postby Thefumigator » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:18 am

well, in that case I would convert all possible tracks to audio, but I would like a freeze feature to appear in FL someday...
Thefumigator

Postby desdinova » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:40 pm

I also just use song automation to change tempo. It's not really a hurdle once you get used to it.
If you think of FL staying within their paradigm of being a soft hardware-pattern-based sequencer, you can't really blame them.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery
desdinova

Postby Thefumigator » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:52 pm

desdinova wrote:I also just use song automation to change tempo. It's not really a hurdle once you get used to it.
If you think of FL staying within their paradigm of being a soft hardware-pattern-based sequencer, you can't really blame them.

yeah, that's what I mentioned up there in my post.

I think that they broke the paradigm somewhat, long time ago... just looking at all the features they have been adding since version 4...

But I'm not needing to change the tempo of a specific pattern... In my case adding the freeze option for tracks would be enough for me... uhmm
Thefumigator

Postby desdinova » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:53 pm

Indeed, the featurelist has been growing quite a bit. I hope that it doesn't get too big for its breeches or bloaty.
I would probably use it almost exclusively but its MIDI features feel tacked on. FL6 was supposed to have multiple MIDI ins and MIDI sync support and we got neither. I did try the MIDI slave sync beta executable and it was fairly crashy.
I haven't had any problems with the company or support though.
desdinova

Postby Thefumigator » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:43 am

desdinova wrote:Indeed, the featurelist has been growing quite a bit. I hope that it doesn't get too big for its breeches or bloaty.
I would probably use it almost exclusively but its MIDI features feel tacked on. FL6 was supposed to have multiple MIDI ins and MIDI sync support and we got neither. I did try the MIDI slave sync beta executable and it was fairly crashy.
I haven't had any problems with the company or support though.

Are you sure? I can activate several midi inputs at once. Also, there's the sync option to turn on and off in the midi output. As far as I don't have multiple midi for controlling FL nor even to control to, I don't really know if it works tho... BTW mine is FL studio producer edition. Don't know if their lighter versions have midi features cut out...?
Thefumigator

Postby desdinova » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:51 am

I've got producer. You can have as many midi outs as you like and send midi sync.
I'm talking about slaving FL to an external machine and recording (or being controlled) by more than one channel on the same interface at the same time.

I know it still can't do the former, maybe I'm mistaken on the latter.
desdinova

Return to Software Synthesizers