Some VSTi's too quiet

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Some VSTi's too quiet

Postby MrHope » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:45 am

I've been noticing that with some free VSTi's the sound will be ok, but the main volume will be really low even if the main volume control of the synth is at maximum. I'm guessing that the sound is made to be lowered intentionally so that it doesn't clip the output when a bunch of notes are played. But I'm finding it really annoying. It doesn't happen with all VSTi's, just some.

Is anybody else noticing this issue?
MrHope
No Longer Registered

Advertisement:

Postby Fignuts » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:54 am

yeah i notice the same problem espically with the superwave p8 and nubile VST for some reason. Could it be that the programming just isnt as good or wasnt programmed with enough headroom mabye?
I can do the best imitation of myself!
Fignuts

Postby MrHope » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:43 pm

I think it's because they are programming in too much headroom from peak amplitude to 0 dBfs and aren't providing a master gain control that compensates for the headroom.
MrHope
No Longer Registered

Postby Fignuts » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Hunh that makes sense i suppose. Have you ever tried programming your own vst? Ive been playing around lately with the nord modulardemo and ive been interested in trying. Ive heard that synthedit is a pretty go program for that in terms of freeware but how do you feel?
I can do the best imitation of myself!
Fignuts

Postby hollywoodafterparty » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:33 pm

I tried getting into synth creation so i could have custom sounds, but it got a bit overwhelming, i think it's good if you have the patience to learn the interface of the program you're using, and the concepts behind creating synths from scratch. Synthedit is a great low cost way to go about it, for something you have to pay for, I'd suggest synthmaker. The good thing about synthedit is the amount of documentation available.
hollywoodafterparty

Return to Software Synthesizers