I'm new to this, maybe you can help me =]

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

I'm new to this, maybe you can help me =]

Postby pan1k » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:28 am

ok,
so I am fairly new to synthesis to begin with, however, I have one question that I can not seem to figure out, I have been looking to Reason 3.0,
and I am considering using it. What equipment would I need to get to use the sounds produced via Reason? Would I need a sampler or a snyth with a MIDI controller?

PS: Thanks for the advice in advance
-Lee > the rest
pan1k

Advertisement:

Postby Yoozer » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:53 am

Reason has already a synth and a sampler built in. Just go download the demo version at http://www.propellerheads.se/download/i ... =mainframe and play a bit with it.

The other things you need are:

- a decent audio interface (e.g. soundcard geared towards music production as opposed to gaming - so an E-mu 0404 or M-Audio Audiophile instead of an Audigy or X-Fi)
- a decent pair of monitor speakers (speakers that do not "color" the sound too much).
- a MIDI controller keyboard (a "dummy" keyboard that acts as a remote and doesn't have its own sounds).

What's your budget?
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby MissionBrown » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:05 am

for around the same money go for ableton live
you can add things after market like soft synths etc....
MissionBrown

Postby DX » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 am

I think Live and Reason are different things.
I have played both, and for realtime and djing, i choose live. BUt for production and sequencing, I choose Reason.
Regards.
E-mu EMAX. Yamaha DX7, DX7 II FD, DX27S, Roland JP8000, D10, JX-8P. Korg POLY800. Casio CZ1000, Casiotone MT-70, SK1 (lost in my house), Commodore C64 w/ prophet64. Akai S3000 XL HD. KURZWEIL PC1x
DX

Postby MissionBrown » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:55 am

live is way better for production. Flexible & intuitive.
Hell you can record audio too.

I used reason for ages and live is my software of choice.
MissionBrown

Postby kk994 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:22 pm

the_undercutters wrote:live is way better for production. Flexible & intuitive.
Hell you can record audio too.

I used reason for ages and live is my software of choice.

+1 Live is easier to use, more advanced and offers much greater sound quality... also you can record audio/editing audio/control external MIDI device and automatically timestretch audio loops... Also it's great for DJing... Live doesn't come bundled with many instruments but it does have a basic sample replay device and an 8 channel drum machine and there are loads of free VSTi's out there...
kk994

Postby hollywoodafterparty » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:31 pm

I agree, Reason is more of an instrument rack than an actual sequencer. It's best when used in rewire mode with other sequencers such as live.
hollywoodafterparty

Postby MissionBrown » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:48 pm

The only things I ever liked about reason were the "hands on" feel & the simple to use automation edits.
But without the facility to control other midi devices I don't see much point.

After a while you just want something more...
For me it was never being able to get a big enough sound out of it.
That and being a person who plays other instruments having a multitrack recorder
is much more appealing.

Since live has the basic built in samplers & synths that actualy sound better than the synths in reason this is a huge step forward in the quality of what you can produce. Being an open ended system as far as virtual synths goes its the easiest to setup & use.

I've been doing this on cassette 4track, reel to reel, adat, acid, cubase, protools & finally came to live
feeling like they did something right.

Reason was great when I was a peniless student for banging out quick soundtrack stuff for the shorts I was working on
but I've never acually owned it nor do use it any more.

Live & Pro tools, though I'm considering selling protools..........
MissionBrown

Postby polardark » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:08 am

The big disadvantage of Reason of course though, is that it's fairly incompatible with everything else. Hardware synths, software synths.. it's all more or less incompatible/unusable with Reason. It limits your musical options quite a lot, in case you later find that you want to expand in one area.
polardark

Return to Software Synthesizers