Software synths in the middle!

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Software synths in the middle!

Postby ex_action_figure » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:30 pm

What are some mid-ground soft synths?

what I mean by this is not synths that are the end all be all with tons of functions and not synths that emulate analog, just synths that are like basic hardware subtractives.

For instance the Discovery and synth1 are like a nord lead 2
I'm looking for more stuff like that, it seems like people get into the software realm and they think 2 things, either wow, now I have the capability to make the biggest best synth ever or I'm going to try to make the most accurate emulation of those old analogs

Personally I need something else, something that has lots of features but not every feature ever, like a Virus, Q, Supernova, Nord, or An1x

Just something I can invest alot of time and energy into and get great sounds but with out having to drown in a manual first.

any ideas?
ex_action_figure

Advertisement:

Postby Artemio » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Check out MASSIVE from NI. It's an amazing synth with a lot of character, and it doesn't follow any paradigms and in fact has a simply unique concept in the interface.
Artemio

Postby mwbassguy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:31 am

automat is a 3 osc analog/dwgs-style synthwith very flexible envelopes and mod routings, but its all very cleanly laid out; its not like crystal. the color scheme and general look fits in very much with ableton live. theres even a patch randomizer.

also, its free, so no loss if you dont like it. stab frenzy uses it quite a bit too; he can tell you more about it.

EDIT: now that i think about it, its probably mac only, so not of any use to you.
Last edited by mwbassguy on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
an avatar and a sig make one's posts more easily recognizable.
mwbassguy
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby cfernn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:38 am

http://www.fabfilter.com

download the demo of TWIN

[-X now don't hesitate, just do it! :blob4: you will LOVE it :blob6: :-({|=

cfernn

Postby krushing » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Oatmeal + Grymmjack's new skin = <3

It's nothing special, just a well-designed, and now very nice looking subtractive synth.

CableGuys Curve - nice, basic wavetable thingy.
polyIblit - nice, basic subtractive.
krushing

Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Postby valdiorn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:12 pm

Zebra 2 is very flexible, can be a simple subtractive, you can extend it to FM synthesis by adding some extra modules to your patch, and it can grow up to the "end-all-be-all" Wavetable-FrequencyModulation-additive-modular-waveshaping synthesizer :D
Albino is hot as well, one of my favorites

Other great synths include:
ImpOscar
Minimonsta (very basic but has a unique way of handling modulation, very flexible)
Pro-53
Surge

Polyiblit is probably the best versatile freeware around. Second place for free synths is Hahaha CS33 (name is silly but the synth is great, the filters have a very special sound... very bright)
http://www.myspace.com/notindemand
Life's a bitch, get a fucking helmet!

Return to Software Synthesizers