How do you connect an oxygen 8 V2 to an amp?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

How do you connect an oxygen 8 V2 to an amp?

Postby andrew13 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:20 pm

I have no idea (i'm new to this thing) and like I bought it for my band but I can't help if I don't know how to connect it to an amp. A little help? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
M-Audio oxygen 49, Microkorg, Alesis Micron.
I only wish I could own a Clavia Nord lead 2.
andrew13

Advertisement:

Re: How do you connect an oxygen 8 V2 to an amp?

Postby toad » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:45 pm

It's just a MIDI controller and has no built-in sounds.
You have to connect it (using a MIDI cable) to a sound source, like a sound module or one of your synths first, and then connect the audio out from the sound source to the amp.
You can also connect it to a computer via USB, but that too is only for MIDI data.
toad

Postby Bitexion » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Oh my, I hope you have some other synth(s) aswell..the Oxygen is just a MIDI controller, it contains no sounds of its own. It is meant to control a rack synth or other synth via MIDI cables.

So if your band just told you to go and buy a "keyboard coz we want those synth sounds", then I think you've been had royally..
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby pricklyrobot » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 am

So wait, you have all of this stuff: MicroKorg, Alesis Micron, Korg R3, Korg Micro X, Novation bass station, Clavia Nord modular, Casio MT-40, Yamaha PSR-73, but you've never connected anything to an amp before and you don't know the difference between a synth and a MIDI controller?

Suggestions? Yes, take your head out of your ass and work a little harder on your joke posts. This is just lame.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby andrew13 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 pm

No I don't own all fo those synths. I just know people who do and i like them.

I have a laptop which I use as the sound source? I don't know. As I say I know nothing much about synthesizers, cos really I'm a keyboard player. I thought synthesizers and keyboards would be similar but as it turns out it's not as easy as it looks.
andrew13

Postby esqoner » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:29 pm

:lol:

#-o
esqoner

Postby shaft9000 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:55 pm

get thee to Tweakheadz and learn the ways of The Force my young padowan...

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby Big Gnome » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 pm

I'll take you at your word.

You can't connect an Oxygen 8 to an amplifier because it doesn't produce audio of any sort. It not a synthesizer, it is a controller--something like a piano without strings. You use it to control a synthesizer--a device that produces its own sounds electronically and may or may not have a keyboard attached--via midi cables (a fairly straightforward procedure--connect the midi out port from one device to the midi in port of another). Synthesizers can also exist as computer software, usually running as VST or AU plugins in host programs; you can play such instruments with the Oxygen 8 connected to the computer.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my crap
Big Gnome

Gear: Alesis Ion
E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Postby andrew13 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 am

Then how does Jesse Kurvink from Heloogoodbye play his M-audio oxygen 49 without and laptop and how does Jamie oliver from Lostprophets play his M-audio and Evolution without a laptop? They seem to manage. And you can store presets into the oxygen. So is there any way of hooking up the oxygen to an amplification system of somesort of description, because that's why i bought it, because Jesse Kurvink and Jamie Oliver play them without laptops, and yes I mean live too, and it looked easy to hook up so yeah.
andrew13

Postby andrew13 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:35 am

Oh and sorry I do actually own the Casio MT-40 and the Yamaha PSR-73. They're keyboards not synths. I just thought I'd put them on there cos they sounded cool.
andrew13

Postby madtheory » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:52 pm

andrew13 wrote:Then how does Jesse Kurvink from Heloogoodbye play his M-audio oxygen 49 without and laptop and how does Jamie oliver from Lostprophets play his M-audio and Evolution without a laptop?

Clearly, you are not in full knowledge of those guy's setups, because the fact is the Oxygen 49 is a keyboard that generates MIDI signals to control an external sound source. It does not have an onboard sound source.

It seems to me that you've seen those guys using the M- Audio with wireless MIDI, where the actual sound source is hidden back stage.

To answer your question, you can buy a MIDI cable, connect it from the out of you M Audio to the MIDI In of your Casio or Yamaha keyboard, and now the M Audio can trigger the sounds in one of those keyboards.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby toad » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:13 pm

andrew13 wrote:Then how does Jesse Kurvink from Heloogoodbye play his M-audio oxygen 49 without and laptop and how does Jamie oliver from Lostprophets play his M-audio and Evolution without a laptop? They seem to manage. And you can store presets into the oxygen...

You don't have to connect it to a laptop, but you do need some kind of sound source.
read this please:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/midi_synth_modules.htm

And yes, you can store presets on midi controllers, but it's just for knob assignment settings etc, not for storing sounds.
so yeah
toad

Postby andrew13 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:35 pm

Oh Right. Maybe I should have just waited abit longer till I had rather more money and just bought like a microKorg then. But still I want to know how these people like Jesse Kurvink do it. Isn't there a way of like, I dunno, like using a MIDI out cable which then goes into a box or something and which then you can plug an amp lead into or something? It's either that or I connect it up to my mates keyboard because both of mine don't have MIDI ports.

So there's really no way of either like connecting a laptop to an amp or something. Do you think really loud speakers would work?And how would you go about doing that wireless thing?
andrew13

Postby pricklyrobot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:31 pm

andrew13 wrote:Isn't there a way of like, I dunno, like using a MIDI out cable which then goes into a box or something and which then you can plug an amp lead into or something?

Yes there is a way of doing this, and 3 or 4 different people in this thread have spelled it out for you pretty clearly. It's one thing to be a novice and full of (what to more experienced people sound like) silly questions, but when people are gracious enough to give you straight answers and you don't even appear to be reading them, that just seems like willful ignorance.

So there's really no way of either like connecting a laptop to an amp or something. Do you think really loud speakers would work?And how would you go about doing that wireless thing?

Anything that is capable of producing sound and has an Audio Out jack can be hooked up to an amp (you may need adapters of some sort, if for instance your laptop has 1/8" Audio Out and the amp has a 1/4" input jack), be it a guitar/bass/keyboard amp or a regular home hi-fi with speakers attached.

Once more to summarize (and please pay attention this time): a laptop is capable of producing sound and thus has the potential for amplification, a synthesizer produces sound and thus can also be hooked up to an amp with favorable results; a MIDI controller which only produces MIDI messages and no sounds, while it can be used to control a laptop or a synthesizer (rack or keyboard) and stimulate them to create sounds, can not by itself be successfully be used to make sound come out of an amp, anymore than you could cram a set of strings into a guitar amp input jack -- sans pick-ups, neck, body, frets, et cetera -- and expect sound to come out.

Furthermore, asking the same question over and over will not change any of these basic facts.
Nord Mod G1 -- Arturia MiniBrute -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Roland V-Synth, JV-1080 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop -- 8 modules (and counting) o' Eurocrack
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Next

Return to Software Synthesizers