Your Arturia secrets please...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby synth3tik » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:07 am

I had a $500 credit on ebay from last fall that was set to expire soon. Not wanting it to go to waste I figured I should use it. It the same time I was also thinking that I need to pick up a license for the MiniMoog V as I got some use out of the demo. Since I usually buy my new hardware and software from Nova Musik, I decided to just get the whole Arturia V collection from their ebay store as I also needed to get the Jupiter 8 and really wanted to try the Prophet V.

I have to say I am rather happy, especially since it cost me no out of pocket moneys. However now I am in the world of Arturia and was looking for any secrets or tips anyone had and was willing to share. I love the fact that their software is really easy to follow. However they had added in a lot of cool stuff and I would love to know of ways people are using all the extras.

Thanks.
E.
synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Advertisement:

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby iProg » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 am

I most recommend the GForce series rather than Arturia. Great software versions of OSCar and Odyssey but most of all the minimoog clone, that IMO sounds 100 times better than the analog Moog LP!
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Postby impaler42 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:03 am

i second Iprog's suggestion. impOSCar is an amazing softsynth. much better than most of the arturia products.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]
impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Postby synth3tik » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:51 am

I have OSCar.
synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Postby Naive Teen Idol » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:50 am

I would rep for the CS-80V. The UI is a little sluggish, I'm not a huge fan of the effects and for the Mac, at least, there's a pretty annoying bug in its preset mangement. But it does a good job of emulating the original, particularly its expressiveness with the aftertouch and so forth. Plus, the ring mod with envelope is very cool.

As for secrets...I'd say make sure you program lots of filter and vibrato with aftertouch in your patches. Turn off the internal effects. Map the controls to a hardware controller and record those movements live. If you do that, you'll emulate the original pretty well.
Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Postby Joey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:43 am

the biggest secret with arturia is that their emulations sound nothing like the real thing
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Naive Teen Idol » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 pm

*Nothing* like the real thing is hyperbole. The ARP 2600-V sounds nothing like the real thing, I agree. But I'd say the CS-80V is pretty good. And as an owner of a Roland Jupiter-6, I can say that the Jupiter 8-V isn't bad either.
Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Postby Joey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:48 pm

except that the jupiter 6 and 8 sound nothing alike

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute

Postby Naive Teen Idol » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Again: hyperbole.
Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby gcoudert » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:21 pm

I have both Jupiter 8V and Prophet V. The problem I have with Jupiter 8V is that it is CPU hungry - I can't use it in Dual mode at all and I am having a few issues with banks disappearing from Prophet V. The guys at Arturia have been unable to solve the problem.
I think they both sound great. I wasn't mad about the Prophet VS emulation to begin with but have been getting decent sounds out of it. The JP8 sounds fantastic although I can't compare it to the original as I have never played, let alone owned one.
I got one of them free through an offer via Dolphin Music here in the UK.
Gilles C.
gcoudert

Gear: Roland Fantom X8, R8, JV1080 + Orchestral & Vintage Synth cards, Akai S5000, Fender Telecaster, Korg AX3000G.

Postby Joey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Naive Teen Idol wrote:Again: hyperbole.

not true

i have a friend who has both and I use them all the time

they dont sound alike

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Solderman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 am

Joey wrote:the biggest secret with arturia is that their emulations sound nothing like the real thing

I would say it depends on what sound you're after, how you use it, and where it sits in the mix. I'm finding that the biggest obvious differences show up with higher resonance settings and envelope behavior.

I've recently re-created some Voyager patches with Minimoog V, and can get close enough if it's not really high resonant all square waves, and it's not a performance lead. After adding effects and then adding it to the mix, I'm so far not regretting I sold my Voyager. The only thing I am missing is some really biting leads that VA just seem to fail utterly at, but then again, I suck so badly at doing leads that there's not much to lament over. To be fair, I'm not making a sound from scratch, and re-creating them is taking longer than it took me to make them in the first place. So it's not all wine and roses.

If you did nothing but performance leads and/or lots of real-time tweaking, I would say forget VA and get the real deal.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), Virus b

Postby Solderman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:25 am

Joey wrote:except that the jupiter 6 and 8 sound nothing alike

I can vouch for this one too. JP8 has a sort of "refined" quality about it, and is often rather natural-sounding, to the point that I can make some pretty convincing orchestral sounds. The 2 occasions I played a JP6, it struck me as sharper, more "plastic" than the JP8, and I was so busy having fun with the highpass filter and using Osc2 for frequency modulation that I totally forgot it was a goddam Roland. JP6 just gets freaky sometimes. Scary, even. Not Odyssey freaky, mind you, but it's out there. JP8 has a rough time doing out-freakages.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), Virus b

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 am

Looks like someone at Arturia forgot to pay their domain registration... that doesn't bode well...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby LBN » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Looks like someone at Arturia forgot to pay their domain registration... that doesn't bode well...

It happens to the best of them.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/06/microsoft_forgets_to_renew_hotmail/
LBN

Next

Return to Software Synthesizers