Your Arturia secrets please...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby dude163 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:49 pm

I agree


the chance of my ever owning ( or even seeing) a CS-80 AND a Jupiter 8 are about the same as me going on a date with Salma Hayek, not very likely , but for under 500 bucks I can have some fun noodling around using my MIDI controllers
dude163
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:58 am

Advertisement:

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Bitexion » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:33 pm

I've never seen either of them, and I've been on the watch for a few years :P

I've played a bit with a CS-60 that was completely out of tune though. It wasn't a good experience at all. It was in a used synth store I used to frequent, and next time I went there a few days later it had been sold :(
User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Location: Drammen, Norway
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby iProg » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:26 pm

The Jupiter-8V is suprisingly close to the real thing. And with a good MIDI controller it's very fun to create sounds with.
Aside from buying Spark pretty soon, I'm really keen on the Yamaha CS-80V, to get those soft late 70's poly brass sounds...
User avatar
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Real name: Carl
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Fredthehound » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:27 am

The Sir Elliot preamp VSTs do wonderful things to the Jupiter and miniMoog. Why that dude does not charge good money for his stuff, I don't know. But it is seriously good stuff and the Arturia synths seem to love it.
Fredthehound
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 am

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby sinject » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Naive Teen Idol wrote:I would rep for the CS-80V. The UI is a little sluggish

I own Arturia's Analog Experience The Lab 61key controller (lovely keyboard in quality of design and build, encoders/sliders are a little on the poorer side of things though) and I have the entire analog collection as a result. I've stopped using it compared to u-he Diva but the CS-80V is the only one you're going to want- trust me.
sinject
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Bitexion » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:31 pm

If only they had some larger skins for the CS-80V I could actually use it. But the interface is so jammed with tiny buttons it's nearly impossible on a 24" monitor.

I also wish the "preset" buttons had the same presets the original CS-80 had, not just a selection of the patch banks.
User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
 
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Location: Drammen, Norway
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Sweep » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Re the comments on the small screen size of the CS80V, there's a solution that isn't great but may be helpful.

What I did was to take a screen print of the controls, enlarge it, and print it on a piece of A4, then laminate it. With that propped up near the screen I can check the control I'm about to click is the right one by looking across at the print.
Free the Jupiter 8!
Sweep
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby mute » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:17 pm

I'll chime in and agree that the CS-80V is hella nice. UI too small (which is kind of ironic, because at one time people complained it was too large when it first came out (1024x760 screen res).

never been much for their other emulations, found them kinda bloaty.. but the interfaces, if not the sound, have always been accurate and fun
mute
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Fredthehound » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:17 am

Download Nebula Free and run it through the AlexB tube preamp.

Then thank me later ;)

mute wrote:I'll chime in and agree that the CS-80V is hella nice. UI too small (which is kind of ironic, because at one time people complained it was too large when it first came out (1024x760 screen res).

never been much for their other emulations, found them kinda bloaty.. but the interfaces, if not the sound, have always been accurate and fun
Fredthehound
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 am

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Solderman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Fredthehound wrote:Download Nebula Free and run it through the AlexB tube preamp.

Tried this and couldn't hear any difference. According to several ge@r$lutz articles I've seen, the sole purpose of the free version is to tease you into getting the Pro version. Seeing as how subtle an improvement even the most expensive Nebula 3 plugins appear to make, and how you are forced to keep track of not only which plugin sounds best on which track, but the incredibly huge amount of CPU each plugin uses for even a basic coloration or EQ band, I can't see it being useful for someone more interested in quick gratification or creative inspiration.

Maybe I just think the idea of running a softsynth through a Neve console or Reel-to-reel impulse snapshot to get useful, hassle-free results that inspire creativity sounds like black-magic voodoo fantasy. It certainly is if you use Nebula with any desktop computer in use today.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
User avatar
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Real name: Zane W
Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b, e1010, RPS-10, Filter Factory

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Solderman wrote:
Fredthehound wrote:Download Nebula Free and run it through the AlexB tube preamp.

Tried this and couldn't hear any difference. According to several ge@r$lutz articles I've seen, the sole purpose of the free version is to tease you into getting the Pro version. Seeing as how subtle an improvement even the most expensive Nebula 3 plugins appear to make, and how you are forced to keep track of not only which plugin sounds best on which track, but the incredibly huge amount of CPU each plugin uses for even a basic coloration or EQ band, I can't see it being useful for someone more interested in quick gratification or creative inspiration.

Maybe I just think the idea of running a softsynth through a Neve console or Reel-to-reel impulse snapshot to get useful, hassle-free results that inspire creativity sounds like black-magic voodoo fantasy. It certainly is if you use Nebula with any desktop computer in use today.


Or you could set Nebula to use CUDA instead of your CPU, thereby basically using a DSP engine we pretty much all have in our computers and many never use.
Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Solderman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Or you could set Nebula to use CUDA instead of your CPU, thereby basically using a DSP engine we pretty much all have in our computers and many never use.

Doesn't that only free up one Kernel? Some of the better plugins use 10 or more. Point being is Nebula 3 takes time and dedication just to make it work for you, is risky financially for even finding which plugins will appeal to you and which ones you have to write off because the demo wasn't sufficient to get a proper assessment, and even on a fast machine you can't run very much at once and are often forced to run multiple instances to get the effect you want.

Meanwhile native DAW plugins are catching up in quality and are always more efficient and easier to use. There are even free 3rd party plugins that sound great and have lots of character. Nebula is a quagmire for the audio perfectionist, not the artist.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
User avatar
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Real name: Zane W
Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b, e1010, RPS-10, Filter Factory

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 pm

well, atm it only works for reverbs. (its likely because of latency with anything else)

People still buy (and swear by) UAD plugins and cards, and their modules are just as expensive with the front-end expense of getting the hardware
Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Fredthehound » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 pm

That really surprises me. I heard an clear difference. With the controls flat, the patch took on a more present sound and for lack of a better word, 'clarity'. I level matched it so it wasn't just a volume boost.

Ashe37 wrote:
Solderman wrote:
Fredthehound wrote:Download Nebula Free and run it through the AlexB tube preamp.

Tried this and couldn't hear any difference. According to several ge@r$lutz articles I've seen, the sole purpose of the free version is to tease you into getting the Pro version. Seeing as how subtle an improvement even the most expensive Nebula 3 plugins appear to make, and how you are forced to keep track of not only which plugin sounds best on which track, but the incredibly huge amount of CPU each plugin uses for even a basic coloration or EQ band, I can't see it being useful for someone more interested in quick gratification or creative inspiration.

Maybe I just think the idea of running a softsynth through a Neve console or Reel-to-reel impulse snapshot to get useful, hassle-free results that inspire creativity sounds like black-magic voodoo fantasy. It certainly is if you use Nebula with any desktop computer in use today.


Or you could set Nebula to use CUDA instead of your CPU, thereby basically using a DSP engine we pretty much all have in our computers and many never use.
Fredthehound
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 am

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby Solderman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:52 am

Fredthehound wrote:That really surprises me. I heard a clear difference. With the controls flat, the patch took on a more present sound and for lack of a better word, 'clarity'. I level matched it so it wasn't just a volume boost.

Correction: AlexB Digitube actually sounded worse. Fifty88 gave a subtly smoother lower-midrange but the other AlexB's gave no change for me. Docfear Highboost does a great job of giving you smoother highs, but uses 15% CPU all by itself. Many of the free version programs I heard no change at all. My audio interface is a MotU 828 mkII and I send the main DAW bus out to a mixer and back in to the MotU then cuemix routes it to Main out. That way the outboard gear at the mixer gets the same latency as the DAW mix. Dunno if that makes any difference.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
User avatar
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Real name: Zane W
Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b, e1010, RPS-10, Filter Factory

Previous

Return to Software Synthesizers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests