Your Arturia secrets please...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Re: Your Arturia secrets please...

Postby th0mas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Joey wrote:the biggest secret with arturia is that their emulations sound nothing like the real thing

unrequested trolling, and I'm only going to give you a 5/10 for effort.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Advertisement:

Postby greggybud » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:49 am

th0mas wrote:
Joey wrote:the biggest secret with arturia is that their emulations sound nothing like the real thing

unrequested trolling, and I'm only going to give you a 5/10 for effort.

That may have been harsh, however if you have spent any time with an Arp 2600 and the Arturia so-called emulation it's very true.
greggybud

Gear: DSI Polyevolver, Mopho
Ensoniq VFX-SD-2
Oberheim OB-8, OB-12 M-1000
Voyager
Nord 2
Yamaha TX-802
Roland D-550
Emu Morpheus, Vintage

Postby Solderman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:18 am

I'd go so far as to say the choice of the word "nothing" was clearly subjective, but one is entitled to their opinion. So far I've only compared Minimoog V to a Moog Voyager in 4 pole filter mode, and the software seemed to cover about 80% of it, so long as you don't use that awful multi-voice unison or the terrible onboard effects that rob it of fatness.
I like the sawtooth and ramp waves in Arturia's better than the Voyager. The Voyager's Filter Envelope Modulation maximum range was also rather weak in comparison. The biggest differences show up with resonant square waves at higher cutoff.
For instance, the Voyager factory patch "Magic Man", emulating the solo in the Heart song, is much edgier but still maintains fatness. Minimoog V just couldn't make it sound "cutting". Even EQ'ing 3000 hz increased a bit doesn't give the cutting leads of the real deal. Going down to lower cutoff however, and Arturia's nails those funky resonant basses in typical 80's funk/soul, even how the envelopes decay.

I'd agree on the ARP2600 V. Didn't Gordon Reid say Arturia borrowed algorithms from Minimoog V? I should really get the demo of Jupiter 8V and do some audio comparisons to my own JP8. The soundonsound review said it was close, but I'll believe it when I hear it. The website demos did nothing to convince me.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), ESQ1, Virus b

Postby qube » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:38 am

I like the Arturia stuff, don't think that 100% accuracy is ever going to matter to the listener.

I have the Modular & CS-80, think they both sound fantastic, not had any problems with them, they're a lot less hassle that the real thing too which I prefer.

I tried the demos of the rest of their packages, the Minimoog was nice but the GForce Minimonsta sounds better, I didn't get on with the Arp 2600, just sounds cold. The Prophet V was rubbish, don't know what the original instrument is like but I found the emulation to be really thin, flat and uninspiring. Jupiter was good though.
qube

Gear: Logic 9, loads of plugins.
Band: Dream Conspiracy

Postby chamomileshark » Mon May 24, 2010 7:31 pm

It's possibly better just to see if you like the sound rather than worry about the faithfullness of the emulation..on that basis I would recommend you trying out the CS80V, I liked the sound and it does sound a bit different from the other softsynths I have. The Modular is fun but I did find a few bugs and it can be CPU heavy (mind you this is the V2 not the very latest). The ARP2600 was interesting in the way that the Modular is but I found I prefered the sound and the distinctiveness of the TimewARP2600 (again no idea/comment how faithful a recreation that is)
chamomileshark

Gear: Wiard 300 Series Modular, Frac Modular, Roland SH2 + SH101 +U20, Yamaha DX9, Microwave 1, Roland SVC-350, Virus B, and too many soft synths

Postby Ashe37 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 am

Even if they are only 80%, once in a mix that 80% is probably going to be enough.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby moog-lover » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:39 am

I have two questions.

1) Hearing a real minimoog that's playing 1 oscillator, raw, and then it turns on the other one, perfectly tuned each other, I feel that the sound "opens". But when I'm on the Minimoog V, it sounds thin... I need to turn on the UNISON knob as to sound similar to both oscillators tuned on the real minimoog.
What is it happening? How the Unison knob works?

2) I've listened this demo of the minimoog by musictrack, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xsHN3NTyk0, and it sounds very sweet. I know that when he's jamming there's delay, a very nice one, but take a look when he's just explaining the features at the half of the video. I feel Arturia's emulation clean and rough when i'm doing exactly the same things that Katsunori does!. Could it be that the real minimoog on the video is been taken by a condenser mic and it makes it sweeter than the clean VST?
moog-lover

Postby Re-Member » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 am

Ashe37 wrote:Even if they are only 80%, once in a mix that 80% is probably going to be enough.

80% close enough could also mean that 20% of the people listening to it could possibly tell the difference... assuming one doesn't put any effects or adujst the EQ on their recordings, then only chooses to use the same preset sounds (if any) that the older synth they are trying emulating would have. Unless one feels the need to constantly list their gear in liner notes, most people won't even know what the hell you're using. Good song writing is what earns you credibility, the gear just helps you get there. Walking into an art store and buying the most expensive paint won't turn you into Van Gogh overnight.
Re-Member

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:48 pm

moog-lover wrote: Hearing a real minimoog that's playing 1 oscillator, raw, and then it turns on the other one, perfectly tuned each other, I feel that the sound "opens".

Analog oscillators are never perfectly in tune unless you sync them (not possible on a stock MiniMoog).

Digital oscillators can be perfectly in tune.

The Unison setting in the MiniV lets you detune the oscillators slightly, which is the effect you are after.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Re-Member wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:Even if they are only 80%, once in a mix that 80% is probably going to be enough.

80% close enough could also mean that 20% of the people listening to it could possibly tell the difference... assuming one doesn't put any effects or adujst the EQ on their recordings, then only chooses to use the same preset sounds (if any) that the older synth they are trying emulating would have. Unless one feels the need to constantly list their gear in liner notes, most people won't even know what the hell you're using. Good song writing is what earns you credibility, the gear just helps you get there. Walking into an art store and buying the most expensive paint won't turn you into Van Gogh overnight.

If that 20% is musicians, sure. The average listening public isn't going to know or be able to tell the difference. Way more than 80% of people are not going to be able to tell, especially once its in the mix. If you did a side-by side with the real thing? Maybe. The 256k mp3 they bought off Amazon? Not likely.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby ninja6485 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:38 pm

The average listening public thinks midi makes sound. It' not hard to trick them into thinking your using a real minimoog. Luckily the Arturia plug ins sound decent enough in their own way to please even non charlatans who can identify and appreciate the unique aspects of both the real deal and the emulation.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Bitexion » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:50 pm

I only wish Arturia would release a patch that let us change the screen resolution. The CS-80V is great but the interface is so fricking small and tight packed that you click on the wrong buttons all the time. If you could double the size it still wouldn't take up half the screen space.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby b3groover » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Bitexion wrote:I only wish Arturia would release a patch that let us change the screen resolution. The CS-80V is great but the interface is so fricking small and tight packed that you click on the wrong buttons all the time. If you could double the size it still wouldn't take up half the screen space.

Totally agree.

As for the "audience can't tell" argument, who cares? Does the instrument inspire YOU? That's what is important, not whether or not it's a 100% authentic recreation.
b3groover

Band: THEO

Postby krzeppa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:47 pm

b3groover wrote:
Bitexion wrote:I only wish Arturia would release a patch that let us change the screen resolution. The CS-80V is great but the interface is so fricking small and tight packed that you click on the wrong buttons all the time. If you could double the size it still wouldn't take up half the screen space.

Totally agree.

As for the "audience can't tell" argument, who cares? Does the instrument inspire YOU? That's what is important, not whether or not it's a 100% authentic recreation.

I agree with both of these comments....an update to the screen of the synths would be nice. I hate the CS-80V for the same reason.....I always seem to click the button next to the one I want. That being said, I never bought the V Collection because I wanted something that sounded exactly like the originals. I bought it because I thought they sounded pretty good and could easily work their way into my music....and so far they have done a great job!
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Accordion, Bag Pipes, Concertina, Banjo, and Wash Board
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby Fredthehound » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 am

I look at it this way. I have the Jupiter 8V and love the sounds I get from it. There were 2000 real ones produced. I'll likely never touch one, much less own one. I could care less if it's 100% accurate. It gets in the general ballpark soundwise and I like the interface. Whether it's a mental trick/self delusion or not, when I open it, I enjoy playing it. And while I fully get that it's not 'real', it's because I 'like' playing it, I play it more...thus my music progresses.

Because there were so few made, 99.9% of people who have heard one on a record will likely never have heard one raw and unprocessed. Nor do they know, or care that it was a J8 to begin with. Once it's processed, it becomes just another processed sound like any other. I do not understand the hate many have for Arturia. They do not make a product that sounds horrible. Are they 'perfect? No. Are they worth the cost? Only if you are willing to pay it. Personally, I am because I am happy with what my 8V does and I'd buy it again without reservation.

IMO/FWIW/YMMV ECT.....
Fredthehound

PreviousNext

Return to Software Synthesizers