Hartmann Neuron VS under windows 7

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Hartmann Neuron VS under windows 7

Postby burnt toast » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Hello Vintage Synth Explorer, been a little while...

Was just wondering if any has any experience with running a hartmann neuron vs under windows 7.. the hartmann forums dont look too positive so im wondering if i will have to poke my old xp recording machine back into life when it arrives from shipping or if im going to use a dedicated pc/ditch the neuron..

hope you are all well,
cheers
burnt toast

Advertisement:

Re: Hartmann Neuron VS under windows 7

Postby garranimal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 am

I've never gotten my hands on the hardware version. However, the software VS version is completely unsupported after XP, so that would definitely be the hitch indeed. And the primary reason I flipped mine in '09. That said I still miss the ambient pad insanity that it can generate especially with modelmaker to import your own sounds. Also, take note XP has been around a long time (measured in technology/computer years) and may be around long enough longer to make getting a Nuke worthwhile. Nuke being strictly a controller, or a fanciful dongle not worth much else, means the VS plugin really chomps down on CPU power. So you would probably be more correct in thinking a PC would be dedicated for Neuron use only. In the right hands of those willing to get past the concepts learning curve and the bizarre nomenclature, it is most definitely worth the hassle and can easily burn many hours with all the possibilities.....

Here's a link to the absolutely most interesting showcase of Neuron sounds, by Deadzone:
http://soundcloud.com/deadzone/sets/hartmann-neuron
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby burnt toast » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:10 am

i already have the neuron vs + nuke sitting in its pretty little box but for various reasons havent been able to use it much.

whats the best way to integrate a standalone pc into a midi enviroment? wont you get problems with latency? or do try and sync your daw/vst host to the external midi clock?
burnt toast

Postby CS_TBL » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Ah, thanks to that soundcloud link I finally managed to hear some Neuron sounds that aren't all advanced noise. Yet after listening to some 20 examples I had this feeling like "ok .. ok.. OK.. I get the point now". All these pads were getting boring to me. There are two ways to look at this:
1) It's a pad machine in which spectrally complex things are evolving
2) It's a generic machine that somehow invites people to use it as a pad machine

Whatever option is right, the sounds - to me - weren't worth the original price tag. I can't see a musical application for these kind of noises for me, and if ever I need such sounds, I'm sure I can come up with other means to create them. Even if I have to use multiple other synths together. Perhaps the Neuron has an edge for integrating all these things in one box, but is that all? Is that the ultimate argument to buy one?

When the news of the Neuron announcement hit the media, somewhere in the 00's, my primary interest was to have the Neuron 'learn' human articulation and apply it to sounds. Think of overblowing a normal flute by having the Neuron learning about overblowing by analysing an overblown flute. I also hoped to dissect ensembles into solo instruments. But that was too much of an abstraction, or so one of the Neuron developers replied to me, back then.

The bottom line is that I frankly have no clue what to do with it.. and thus I can't see myself putting down thousands o' grands for that machine.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby garranimal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:32 pm

burnt toast wrote:i already have the neuron vs + nuke sitting in its pretty little box but for various reasons havent been able to use it much.

whats the best way to integrate a standalone pc into a midi enviroment? wont you get problems with latency? or do try and sync your daw/vst host to the external midi clock?

For me I would think of the standalone PC as 'the Neuron by itself', and slave the DAW timing as you suggest. Latency depends on your CPU, hard drive RPMs, RAM, audio interface and settings, and how many note-events are being triggered at once. Give it some experimenting with different settings.

CS, yeah its really hard to justify spending that kind of money for the hardware synth, especially one that lives in leftfield. I think it will be a long while before more people figure out what to do with it.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby clubbedtodeath » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:07 pm

burnt toast wrote:whats the best way to integrate a standalone pc into a midi enviroment? wont you get problems with latency? or do try and sync your daw/vst host to the external midi clock?

I have an old Core 2 PC running Windows XP, which acts as a host for my Yamaha SW1000XG card. It has no monitor, no keyboard and no mouse. It's not networked either. It's effectively a sound module.

It boots from an internal USB stick - yes, you can get XP running off a USB stick - and automatically logs in as a default user, then starts up various bits of software that need to be running (which you can do through the Startup menu).

All I do is connect MIDI and audio cables to the soundcard, switch it on and go.

So yes, it's definitely do-able.
clubbedtodeath

Postby burnt toast » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 am

thanks for that mate,

i have an older dualcore laptop with 4gbs thats running xp that i've run the neuron on before and have a nice pcmica sound card for it. a simple usb/midi box should do the trick, could probably use my micro modular on it as well but i think that works under windows 7 ok..
burnt toast

Postby clubbedtodeath » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:53 pm

burnt toast wrote:thanks for that mate,

i have an older dualcore laptop with 4gbs thats running xp that i've run the neuron on before and have a nice pcmica sound card for it. a simple usb/midi box should do the trick, could probably use my micro modular on it as well but i think that works under windows 7 ok..

Sounds like it should do the trick..

For standalone PCs, you'll have to get MIDI routing software to start on boot, and have it route the hardware MIDI in to the MIDI in for the softsynth (which should also be started in standalone mode). If I remember correctly I used MIDI Yoke for this, which works under Win XP/2000/NT.

Cheers
clubbedtodeath

Return to Software Synthesizers