Ipad vs. Conventional Hardware costs

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Ipad vs. Conventional Hardware costs

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 pm

just ran through this myself to see what I had invested in the music end of things and figured I'd share.

ipad $400
sir sampleton $4
animoog $15
ipolysix $15
loopy hd $8
sunrizer $7
ppg wave generator $20
ims-20 $15
rebirth $10
audulus $15
sunvox $5
jasuto $5
nano studio $15
dxi fm synthesizer $2
phaedra $5
dm1 drum machine $7
crystal synth xt $5
filtatron $8
midi touch $20
garage band $5
akai synthstation $2
molten drum machine $5
imaschine $5
audiobus $10

alesis iodock $150
midi controller $75

Now, it's grasping at straws to try to really compare all of those to hardware machines. Yet, just a few of those items would justify the total expenditure in terms of hardware alternates. to me of course.

No earth shattering information here, just thought I'd share.
Nate
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Ipad vs. Conventional Hardware costs

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:24 am

My iPad was almost $800 !!! Wtf ?!

Here are the apps I have. Forget the prices...

iMS20
Filtatron
Beat maker
iMPC
iMaschine
Sound grid
Technobox
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, Aalto, Volca Beats, Casio MT18, MS20, BitOne (sorta), MPC 60, Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad w/ Beatmaker 2, Logic X
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 am

I own an iPod Touch, not an iPad, and only two apps for it...SynthStation and Kaossilator...plus an Akai SynthStation 25 keyboard/dock. Total investment was just under $300.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:58 am

You guys with an ipad have to get Samplr, it blows away any other ipad music app I've used. Instead of shoehorning a previous concept into the touchscreen model it does something that couldn't be done without a touchscreen.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:01 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:You guys with an ipad have to get Samplr, it blows away any other ipad music app I've used. Instead of shoehorning a previous concept into the touchscreen model it does something that couldn't be done without a touchscreen.

+1
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby griffin avid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 am

Oh yeah, I was against the iPad and think it's still over-priced when you consider the difference in cost between models relative to the small amounts of memory.
16 gigs $499 USD ...okay they want to DOUBLE THEIR MONEY from the start. I can dig it.
32GB $499 meaning, I paid an extra $100 dollars for 16 GBs of storage...really?
Hard to swallow when a USB 16 GB drive is $12.99

But I digress....
As limited as some of the apps are, I can't imagine buying them as regular VSTs.
All the MOOG and KORG apps, would be $149- maybe $249
At the least a $100 dollar price at launch....

Cubase is already a heavyweight and that's only $50 ...and I think they picked $50 because Auria is $50.
I'm on the fence about the DAW thing, but who knows. Might be cool to see how far I can get just using the iPad.

Top Apps for me,
Animmog
CrystalSynthXT
DJ Rig
DM1 [declining usage]
Grain Science
iKaossilator
iMPC
iMS-20
Reactable [declining usage]
Samplr
SampleTank
Synthstation + MIDI Controller Synthstation49 [Favorite]
Sunriser

For plain fun
Aeolian Harp
Aquasonic
Bubble Harp
Gestrument
Noisemusick

I'm waiting to see what the MPC fly turns out to be and what NI has in store for Maschine/iPad integration.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby griffin avid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:56 am

But yes, I think it's a lot of bang for the buck when you consider the low price of apps.
But for now,a standard lap top is still tough competition...
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby _seph » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:28 am

I agree, Samplr is an amazing app and for me almost solely justifies the price of the iPad.

then add that to the functionality of TouchAble and Lemur plus a handful of great synth apps and all of the other things it does and I believe the iPad is unquestionably best gadget I've ever bought.

I would really rather not total up what I've spent in apps.. but, having an iPhone 4S I do at least get double use out of some.
_seph

Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Postby griffin avid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:21 pm

You sure?
It's not RAM that I'm paying for, it's the size of the hard drive on my iPad.

"The fourth-generation iPad runs off of Apple’s newest A6X processor, which now has quad-core graphics in order to run the tablet’s 2048×1536 Retina display more efficiently. It also appears to be clocked at 1.4 GHz compared to the third-generation iPad’s A5X clocked at 1 GHz, but it comes with the same 1GB of RAM as the previous model."

Source: http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-4th-gen-g ... -30254760/
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah, you're right it is used as the hard drive. Silly me.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:42 pm

My iPad was almost $800 !!! Wtf ?!

I try my hardest not to buy off the shelf. I'll let someone else take the hit and swoop in with cash on craigslist. ;) it's an ipad2 16gb wifi and I got it a year+ ago from craigslist. guy that bought it said "I didn't realize how much you need the internet for this thing to be useful". :mrgreen: :roll: :lol:

samplr

just spent the $5 and dl-ing now... anxious for a good sample synth (see bottom)

complaints about the relative price/technology of the hardware

i'm generally with you, but it's difficult for me to fill up 16gb given the file system of the ipad. Additionally, the operating system as a rule seems to make it unnecessary for a ton of memory. now that we have things like audiobus, I can see where processing power and memory will become more important. As a convertee from the "more power please!" school of thinking, I can understand why apple builds to what they believe is an accepted standard, and then lets users that need different requirements pay more for those requirements. they serve both the commodity market and the specialty market. They like to squeeze as much as possible out of the hardware by making efficient software. If being ahead of that curve is how they maintain profitability, i'm for it. Contrarily, I think the pricing tiers scale rather nicely compared to the last time I configured a Dell / HP :?

anyway, I see griffin put grain science in the list. anyone else using the granular synthesis apps? I haven't gone there yet because the apps are $10 per and I can't decide which is best. just downloading samplr now so can't comment on it yet, but i'd be interested in an alchemy / v-synth-esque sample synth. I imagine once I pursue sample synths more I'll jones for some extra HD space.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby griffin avid » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:27 pm

i'm generally with you, but it's difficult for me to fill up 16gb given the file system of the ipad

I did already and had to do some purging....
Under settings/usage you can see what apps are eating up what space...something I never seem to notice when snagging them.
Sampletank 1.0 GB
Tabletop 790 MB
iMPC 408 MB

We're talking over 10% of storage in only three apps. yikes!
Plus, my music - the 'DJ-able' songs are [originally] saved [and transferred] as wave files and not MP3s....so that eats up a ton of space too.

To research the best apps, I tend to read a lot of reviews and look for complaints there and on the support forums/blogs. Usually it's the feature requests that tell you what the app doesn't do (that it should).
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm

griffin avid wrote:i'm generally with you, but it's difficult for me to fill up 16gb given the file system of the ipad

Under settings/usage you can see what apps are eating up what space...something I never seem to notice when snagging them.
Sampletank 1.0 GB
Tabletop 790 MB
iMPC 408 MB

I hadn't looked at that before. I'm only half full with that giant mess of apps installed, but I did find pdf-notes eating 1.7gb with only about 200mb of pdfs. come to find out the caches are ridiculous (see: 600 mb for a 25 mb file) so I cleared the cache on a few of those and found a gb.

^and it makes sense that those sample based programs would eat space. I deleted sample tank shortly after download because I felt it amounted to a rompler and didn't belong on my ipad (just my preference of course YMMV). Most of the other music apps are somewhat meager space consumption wise to what I would have assumed. if space becomes an issue alchemy and garage band are the next to go methinks.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:14 pm

griffin avid wrote:i'm generally with you, but it's difficult for me to fill up 16gb given the file system of the ipad

Sampletank 1.0 GB
Tabletop 790 MB
iMPC 408 MB

Plus, my music - the 'DJ-able' songs are [originally] saved [and transferred] as wave files and not MP3s....so that eats up a ton of space too.

To research the best apps, I tend to read a lot of reviews and look for complaints there and on the support forums/blogs. Usually it's the feature requests that tell you what the app doesn't do (that it should).

That's why I have 32gb and don't store music on my iPad.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, Aalto, Volca Beats, Casio MT18, MS20, BitOne (sorta), MPC 60, Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad w/ Beatmaker 2, Logic X
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby winnebago » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 am

I just got samplr and have to say it is awesome, find myself just playing around with it for ages.
winnebago

Next

Return to Software Synthesizers