How to actually use Samplr

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

How to actually use Samplr

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:37 am

After everyone praised it, I decided to download, but I can't really figure out how to make it useful..? What's everyone else doing with it ? Can I really not import from beat maker/iTunes/computer ??
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Advertisement:

Re: How to actually use Samplr

Postby winnebago » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:00 am

I wouldn't say I've used it for anything useful yet, just been having fun with it. Would like to see it put to good use though.
winnebago

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:48 am

he could load his cock into it and make a souhd from the machines.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby griffin avid » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:40 pm

So far, I've loaded it with some choice phrases and/or loops of music and triggered different bits to rearrange and create a new composition. It's basically your standard beat chopping workflow without the beat chopping.

I've also loaded up a vocal phrase and mangled it into VOX.

Glitched up drum breaks....

Made an instrument by singling out a note and playing it as a keyboard patch.

Pretty much everything in the introduction video.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Cumulus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:08 am

I've recorded ambient sounds, room noises, some guys speaking Russian at a local hipster non-Starbucks.

Then I've been glitching them up.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Cumulus

Postby guillermotin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:33 am

i bought and Ipad mainly because of the Samplr app. It is now my favourite sample chopping tool, but I had to find a few workarounds.

Recording: The Ipad+Samplr combo cannot live without a good recorder. I simply cannot rely solely on the Ipad's microphone, except for when I'm fiddling with it. To keep things professional (and portable), I use a Zoom H1, a highly recommended and notably efficient digital field recorder.

Importing sounds: The first time I looked into that, I got scared. Some told I had to use Itunes, others told I could use dropbox. Hell, I couldn't go either way. I did some research and found out Fileapp pro, an app that allows you to import samples into the Ipad through usb or wi-fi (haven't tested the latter) without relying on Itunes. This app seems to be quite common among apple fanboys, so I gave it a try. It worked for me, I could transfer samples from my computer to the Samplr app folder, as well as open the recorded files folder used by the Samplr app inside Windows 7. The downside of all this is that you'd have to use a computer to intermediate the sample exchange process. There seems to be another way though, by using the camera connection kit, which is basically a usb/card reader adapter. I wonder if the Fileapp is capable of reading reading the Zoom H1 sd card through the camera connection kit adapter and import the samples directly to the Samplr app folder without the computer, but I'm yet to test that. On a sidenote, I read somewhere that Rode (the microphone manufacturer) will be releasing an stereo microphone expansion for the iphone/ipad, but I can't really guarantee if it will sound better than the H1.

Playing: No specific tips here, but one very general thought: I try to see the Ipad+Samplr as a musical instrument in itself. What I mean is that it requires time and practice to get the best results, just like any other instrument. I also try to use the Ipad exclusively as a music making device, so it helps a bit in that way. Now, sonically speaking, sInce we're talking about a sampling app, possibilities are virtually endless. I've had good hours playing with it, and each play mode gets you to different places. I don't see the Samplr app as an 6 track production sampling device, but more like a solo instrument, trying to get the most out of the samples I put in it.

Cheers
guillermotin

Return to Software Synthesizers