Best Mellotron Vst out right now

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Best Mellotron Vst out right now

Postby STRING_MACHINES » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Been doing some research, so far i have GFORCe software mTron as my first choice.

Without price being a factor, Is there something out there that might be better?
Last edited by STRING_MACHINES on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRING_MACHINES

Gear: Elektronika EM - 25, Gforce software Virtual String Machine, Reason 6, Pro tools 8, DIGI 003 console and a few thousand records
Band: DJ Rybe

Advertisement:

Re: Best Mellotron Vst out right now

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Everytime I investigate, my research brings me back to the gforce software....but I still haven't bought it yet. I really enjoyed the Mellotron samples that Clavia has on the Nord boards, but they havent released a software only interface...yet
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby redchapterjubilee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 pm

I used to be tied to an Emu Vintage Keys module for mellotron sounds. The strings and flute were dead-on. The brass didn't sound right at all and the choirs were close but not right either. I have a number of different free VSTi's that try (Tapeworm for example) and a very large Reason refill but none of them were right either. So I eventually bought M-Tron, and it nails the Mellotron. You won't be disappointed. I also had the chance to use a Nord Wave in the studio recently (as I didn't have my laptop with me) for Mellotron string duties and was able to cop the sound believably in the mix, but I found just right out of the box the Nord samples were a little harsh-sounding.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby Bitexion » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Gforce Mtron is really good, and you get a ton of soundsets to pick from. All made from sampling a real mellotron in the highest sample rate possible, plus they've added lots of the natural subtle effects from the mellotron itself.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby STRING_MACHINES » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 pm

looks like Mtron it is!

thanks!
STRING_MACHINES

Gear: Elektronika EM - 25, Gforce software Virtual String Machine, Reason 6, Pro tools 8, DIGI 003 console and a few thousand records
Band: DJ Rybe

Postby Teacarp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 am

Hi, pretty much registered just to reply to this post :) . The Mtron VST is a lot of fun, however some of the samples aren't as high quality as one would like. I think the Mtrons strength is really the variety of sounds you get more than anything else, which is still considerable! The Mtron is really a good tool at the end of the day.

However, considering that the Mellotron is really just an old sample-based instrument, have you considered just getting a sample bank as opposed to a standalone instrument? Michael Pinder Presents Mellotron is the one I run through Kontakt and it's sounds are really great, very live sounding and nice to record with, so make sure you look at that.

Either way though, the sounds on both are really good, I just prefer the Michael Pinder samples. Good luck!
Teacarp

Postby sammy123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 pm

I am by no means an expert. But Mtron is awesome. It sounds great to me. I have mostly moved away from VSTs, but this one was worth paying for. I think I got it in 2005. It was the only reason I got into VSTs. I bought my first and only controller just to use with the Mtron.
sammy123

Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Postby Bitexion » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Mellotron isn't much other than a sample player, so as long as the sounds are recorded well and the panel controls replicated, pretty much any VST will do it :)

It plays back 7 second tape strips (and rewinds the tape quickly when you release the key), one tape for each key.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Return to Software Synthesizers