What kind of foot pedal?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

What kind of foot pedal?

Postby stratocaster » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:43 am

Are keyboard foot pedals one in the same? I am using a Roland E-30 as a MIDI controller and want to purchase a foot pedal so I can assign it to a sweep or something cool.

Are expression pedals all just pots that will react to whatever you plug them into? Or is a volume pedal different from a sustain pedal? It seems like a sustain pedal would either be on or off unlike a volume pedal. Or does it depend on the actual keyboard you are pluggin in to?

It seems as though a Roland EV-5 is about $70.

My E-30 manual recommended a FV-200 or something like that.

:?
stratocaster

Advertisement:

Re: What kind of foot pedal?

Postby Z » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:05 pm

I've got 4 Roland EV-5s. I bought the first one new back in the early 90s - forget the price. The other's I've bought used.

I've got one plugged into my JD-800's Expression Pedal input with it assigned to aftertouch which is usually programmed to control filter frequency cut-off. Other EV-5s are plugged into vintage analog synth's filter input. I just received my Strymon Mobius and have an EV-5 plugged into it's pedal input which controls BPM/LFO speed.

Volume pedals are different as you run an audio signal through it. Sustain pedals are "on and off" like you said.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby stratocaster » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:21 pm

So...basically I need an expression pedal, and most any expression pedal will do. Can they also be assigned to volume and sustain?
stratocaster

Postby Z » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Expression pedal assignments depend on your keyboard. On the JD-800, you can assign expression pedal to volume, modulation wheel and aftertouch (maybe panning - I can't remember). There will be a separate jack for sustain/hold/damper pedal.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Not all expression pedals use the same wiring. Some are 2 conductor, some are 3 conductor.

It's always best to use the one from the mfr, ones from other mfrs may or may not work properly.

Expression pedals usually default to either MIDI volume (CC #7) or expression (CC #11), different mfrs allow different mappings.

I have never seen sustain as a mapping, typically the keyboard will have a separate jack for a sustain pedal.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby stratocaster » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:12 pm

Ok, I'll try an EV-5. I was not able to find the old one listed in the manual. The back of the keyboard just is labeled "foot switch".

I am just using my Roland E-30 as a MIDI controller right now. Actually when I wheel through the parameters it lists quite a number of different features (most are specific to the arranger). I'll see how it goes.
stratocaster

Postby Z » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 am

I just looked at the E-30 manual. You will not be able to use an expression pedal with the E-30 since it does not have a jack for an expression pedal. It only has the "Foot Switch" jack for a sustain pedal.

However, you can pick up an Anatek Pocket Pedal to be able to use an expression pedal with your MIDI instrument. There are a couple of them on eBay at the moment.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby stratocaster » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:25 am

mehhh..So this item has dipswitches that I guess I just set to whatever I want to use and the little box controlls the actual feature.

Do I then need to purchase an EV-5 to connect into the Anatek unit?
stratocaster

Postby Z » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 am

Yes, you will need an EV-5 or other expression pedal to use with the Pocket Pedal.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to Software Synthesizers