Waldorf release Nave synthesizer for iPad

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Re: Waldorf release Nave synthesizer for iPad

Postby tomorrowstops » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Wow, this thing is coooool. Messing around with it now, but don't understand anything I'm doing!

Nice demo ned!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Postby Bitexion » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:21 pm

The manual is both online and in the synth (press the ? button somewhere).
http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/nave-d ... nuals.html

If you have no clue about wavetable synthesis it explains it quite well there. Basically a wavetable is a set of 64 to 99 waveforms arranged in a row, and you can select which one you want to hear using a pointer. The fun part is that this pointer can be modulated by an LFO or envelope or "travelled" with the "Travel" knob. The waveforms usually are lined up so that sweeping through them is really smooth, and not glitchy, and they follow a theme, so a wavetable could be named "resonant" that features high-resonant sounds. You select a different wavetable in the middle of the wave screen, just tap on the text and a list pops up.

The Travel knob moves through the wavetable from start to end when you press a key and resets, setting it to around 0.15-0.20 gives a good sweep.

You can kind of see it as a sample separated into 64 parts and the pointer travels through the parts in sequence or between two points in the sample, or stands still if you apply no modulation at all.
You can manually sweep the wavetables by slowly turning the big Wave knob.
On the old PPG Wave 2.2, each wavetable had the standard analog sawtooth, pulse, sine waves at the end, so if you modulated into that section you'd get a glitchy mess, part of the fun..this is not the case here, though, since you have a separate "analog" oscillator for those sounds. The Waldorf Blofeld has the analog waveforms at the end but lets you choose to exclude them if you want to for a smooth sweep.
All this stuff happens before the filter section, so you can apply filter and effects to it. The PPG Wave2.x had an analog lowpass filter to tame all the digital madness.

This is the core and magic of the PPG Wave synth of the 80s, and also the Nave (and Blofeld, Microwaves etc). You can pretty much decide the exact start and stop point to be modulated within a table so you don't get too wild pads. Don't worry about the graphic presentation of the wavetables, it's just a pretty thing to look at, unless you go into edit mode and manually trim edges and peaks.

Another fun thing is to tap the Full button underneath the picture of the wavetable. The bar at the bottom lets you travel through the chosen wavetable, the red line showing your position. The two gray areas are the start and stop point, the left darker area plays the wavetable backwards, and the right one plays it forward at increasing speed.

If you tap Tools in this view, and Talk: you can type in words and create a wavetable the plays the words when you scan through it. Then you can mangle it to hell and back with the filter overdrives and the Noisy parameter on the front Wave page..
This synth is CRAZY deep, as are the PPG Wave 2.x synths it derives from.

Also take a look at the "Make a sound in 2 minutes" video I posted above.
I just spent an hour in Fullscreen wave view touching the ribbon to hear the various wavetables play. Some of them are marvels of sound design. And some look like paintings that you can listen to. Try the Heavy Fuzz, and the wavetrip1,2,3,4. If it sounds weird, try the octave up/down switch on the right.

The mixer section lets you mix the two wavetable oscillators, a normal "analog" oscillator with unison and detune, and various ringmodulation setups (w1*w2 for example).
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby haj » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Love this synth. I'm mostly for outerspace evolving smear noise. Wish I could smooth S&H output for that.
haj

Postby cowbell » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 am

It crashes/freezes on my ipad 2 when using the recorder after about a minute, even with just 1 track.
Besides that, awesome app. Two arpeggio recordings:
https://soundcloud.com/wavetables/waldorf-nave-2
https://soundcloud.com/wavetables/waldorf-nave
cowbell

Previous

Return to Software Synthesizers