Software synth n00b. A little help?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Software synth n00b. A little help?

Postby Black Tomorrow » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:01 pm

For years I've basically used hardware instruments only. But the time is approaching where space is going to be limited, so I'll be downsizing to a MIDI controller and a small analog.

To record, I've used various versions of Magix over the years and am currently using Samplitude Music Studio MX 18. I'm using an old trial version of Garritan Personal ORchestra just to get used to VSTi's. It works great with imported MIDI files or with Samplitude's onboard MIDI editor. But I'm trying to use a MIDI controller now, and I just can't get it to work. It recognizes that there is a controller, but it doesn't respond to it. Any ideas? I've researched the hell out of it, and I'm not having any luck.
Black Tomorrow

Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, GPO4

Advertisement:

Re: Software synth n00b. A little help?

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Look up how you route MIDI to the track and record MIDI data. Sorry, any more than that is software-specific and I haven't seen the inside of Magix in years.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:13 am

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Black Tomorrow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I've checked out the other forum. Hopefully I'll get this sorted out.
Black Tomorrow

Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, GPO4

Return to Software Synthesizers