Questions about setting up first midi controller

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Questions about setting up first midi controller

Postby thing2n8 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm looking to get my first synth soon, and thought about the chance to spend less on a full keyboard synth by just getting a midi controller. I was hoping to stay under $200 total (this is my first experience with a synth, don't want to break the bank). I was looking at options like the microKorg or Novation MiniNova, but found the arterial minilab today.

I was wondering what exactly is needed to get a minilab up and running. I know I need some software and to use a usb connection to my computer, but does it come with software or will I need to buy some on my own? If so, where do I find this?

Also, is the minilab a good controller? I like that it has many physical controls on the keyboard for easy adjustments.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer!
thing2n8

Advertisement:

Re: Questions about setting up first midi controller

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:48 am

If this is going to be your only board, I would suggest looking at something with at least three octaves. Looks like the minilab is only 25 keys.

Check out the akai mpk49, they can be had for $150 used and also have pads so you could do drum stuff as well. There should be software with whatever keyboard you get either on a disk or for download which you can use to edit what each knob sends, but there will be some mapping to be done in your DAW as well. Once you have your controller you can find most of the info or tutorials online.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 pm

The Arturia controllers come with Arturia's "Analog Lab" software which can be run on your computer either standalone or inside a DAW like Cubase, Live, Logic, Reaper, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby cornutt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Sweetwater has the M-Audio Keystation 49 on sale for $49 (one dollar per key!). It's probably not a great keyboard, but it will do for starters.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Return to Software Synthesizers