10 things I wish Software Developers would stop in 2014

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

10 things I wish Software Developers would stop in 2014

Postby griffin avid » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 pm

1) Using any kind of authorization that requires a license manager and or connects to their server to install.
The worst is ANYTHING that requires human interaction. No one wants to wait till Monday afternoon to use a product they purchased Friday evening.

2) Keeps track of number of installs. Like, after 3 installs you have to email the company and get a new manual authorization. So main machine plus laptop + new operating systems = long process of explaining in email...

3) Using an incomplete and never-has-what-you-need FAQ for tech support.

4) Running a closed forum so you can't see the threads unless you log in. Yes, I know, it's to hide all the tech issues and complaints.

5) Using web sites that require you log in for access to access free files or information.

6) Having any kind of Demo that isn't based on drop outs/noise or time outs. Like, works fully for 10 days and after that - disables itself, but stays hidden in your registry. At least give an uninstall option and make the person re-install or sign up or whatever they did to get it- again.

7) Saying a bit is free, but requiring a working email to access my 'freebie'.

8) Charging for updates that mostly fix bugs and addresses problems.

9) Saying a product is a WHOPPING X# of GIGS!!!!!!1 when it's really the same files in 8 different formats.

10) Charging an arm and a leg for a bit and then slashing the price to almost nothing or bundling it for free with something else [way too soon].

BONUS GUI ISSUES and more....
1) NOT having an interface you can re-size.
2) NOT having a DIRECT NUMERICAL INPUT for values -especially TEMPO.
3) Having the Audio settings/MIDI settings, Preferences and options in different places
4) Not having a stand alone version
5) Having a new version that does not work with files/projects/settings from previous versions
6) Not having a bypass button
7) Not having its own 'start button' or ability to run on its own. Like a Sync-to-host disable/enable toggle
8) A color scheme that combines primary colors. Red interface, Blue text and yellow sliders. Looks cool on the internet, not so cool using it for hours and hours.
9) Made up names for features. Call the filter a filter, not "polarity field adjuster" or EQ "essence enhance controls"
10) making an iPhone/iPad "version" with 10% of the functionality.
Last edited by griffin avid on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: 10 things I wish Software Developers would stop in 2014

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Have to agree on the non-scalable interfaces....
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby CS_TBL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:11 am

griffin avid wrote:9) Saying a product is a WHOPPING X# of GIGS!!!!!!1 when it's really the same files in 8 different formats.

..and what if it's the same lib in 3..5 microphone positions? (close, conductor, surround etc. etc.) I don't mind companies including such alternative positions, but at least be clear about the amount o' unique samples then. It'd make it easier to compare sizes between e.g. EWQL and VSL.

And I concur with the licence crap. Some month ago I completed a user survey of one of the libraries I use, asking how I'd feel about all the possible licence methods (dongles 'n such). I replied that as soon as things get annoying and silly, I won't bother buying it. Things get cracked whatsoever, so all these attempts to protect stuff are all in vain anyway. I rather think companies should invest in a kind of 'like' factor. Make your audience like you, on a more personal and cooperative level, and they'll come buy your goods. If someone doesn't like your company, he never will and he'll use a cracked version. Live with it, it's not going to change.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:29 am

I don't mind dealing with a license and all of the annoying ways of authorizing a product, but for the love of christ, loose the frickin' iLok/eLicenser/xWhatever dongle. Lots of us are on laptops with limited peripherals. Hell, even the new Mac Pro has limited peripherals. iLok or not, software will continue to get cracked and distributed over the internet. It will still be endlessly buggy and out of date when aquired that way. I'd love to see numbers on supposed sales lost if Avid dropped the iLok requirement.

Updates: That's a tough one. The lines between 'fixing current bugs' and 'new version for new OS' are most certainly gray (and getting grayer) these days. Especially with the frequency at which companies like Apple release new OS's which, in turn, seem to break third-party software. That frequency is probably not enough time for developers to release a brand new version of something, but just enough time to soak up a bit of overhead rewriting code to keep up. That money's got to come from somewhere....

GUIs:

YES - different screen resolution/scaling options would be siiiick. Being able to full-screen a synth plugin would totally bring the whole concept closer to 'feeling like an instrument'.

YES - standalone plugs in synth world should be a prerequisite. Again, brings it closer to 'feeling like an instrument' worthy of exploring, especially when not pressured by having a daw behind it, ready to go (and distract!)

YES - stop over-designing and branding these things. It just needs to be simple, easy to look at and understand. Maybe the initial transition from analog to digital needed fancy new terms (ROLAND) to increase curiosity and sales, but we're wayyyy beyond that now.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Jay200MPH » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:38 am

Great points here. I would also add - stop developing for Windows only, stop bloating your apps to make people think they need to upgrade every year, and stop demanding the latest freaking versions of everything before your program will even think about deigning to open. Make some effort to get it to run on lower-end PCs & let those of us who don't have unlimited bandwidth gigabit home internet join in the fun. You don't need a quad-core CPU and 6 GB of RAM to sequence MIDI and play some samples/softsynths; we were doing that in the nineties! Also, how about some Linux support? Yes, I know us open-source fans are basically red communists, but some of us WOULD PAY for decent Linux apps.

I can count all the music software I've bought* in the last 5 years on one hand, and there are some very obvious commonalities:

Reaper - unlimited demo, no DRM, no licencing BS, multi-platform (official Linux support via WINE), unbloaty (10MB!), fast
Renoise - unlimited demo, no DRM, no licencing BS, multi-platform, unbloaty (30MB), fast
SunVox & PixiTracker - un-timed demo on Android & PC versions are free, no DRM, no licencing BS, multi-platform, unbloaty, very fast
Caustic 2 - see literally everything above (I was planning to buy this but my phone bugged out. I will when it's fixed)

(* No, that doesn't mean I pirate everything else, I just don't use it and stick to freeware instead.)
Jay200MPH

Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Postby D-Collector » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 am

I agree with all the points. Especially about dongle based, and needlessly complicated authorization.

@Jay200MPH, I have the same experience with Synapse Orion. Fully working demo except saving, enter your authorization code at installation and that's it. Unlimited installs, fast while easy on cpu, no bullshit.

One of the few programs I have invested in. Same with Korg Legacy.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby silikon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:14 am

Personally, I don't mind most authorization schemes (iLok, eLicenser, challenge/response, what-have you), don't find much bother in registering to get their private forums (because realistically, if there's problems big enough for more than a handful of people, then it's not going to stay hidden for too long given all the public forums about)...

I mean I can certainly see how much of that stuff might be proper bollocks for some, but that's not what get's me knob in a grinder...

What really gets me is:

Discontinuation of a product with a relatively short life cycle (anyone remember NI Kore?)
Being the last on the boat to support new OS revisions (a brutal mistress, pro tools)
Bring new format changes that require every other developer to rebuild their product (and likely charge for it)
Charging more than 10-15% of the new cost of an application to update it to support new OS revisions
Flat out offering no upgrade path (discounted upgrade) from major revisions (thanks alot, Apple)
Offering shit tech support that takes days to respond to queries of any magnitude, who will then divert to every other piece of hardware or software on your system as the potential culprit instead of attempting to resolve the problem.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby Nistegmos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:23 pm

really good points! i agree with most of these.

also...

please allow those of us who keep our DAW offline to register offline!
please include a manual SOMEWHERE with the product*
please don't advertise hardware as compatible with Windows when it doesn't work with Windows 7, or 8*

* = hardware beefs

please don't bother including TXT info and also CHM info and HTML. CHM info is enough and it's versatile and compact. Also, consider distributing info as MHT files which can be read on just about any computer out of the box.

please don't litter downloads with tons of EULAS and "What's New" and "ReadME" and "AlsoREadTHIS"
Just collapse all the info into a single info file such as MHT or PDF or CHM and be done with it.

Clutter is not sexy.

And when you write the info, no need to quadruple indent and use "===================" everywhere.
Just write in normal English like the rest of the human race; that is adequate.
Nistegmos

Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Postby Bitexion » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 pm

That blasted authorization dongle thing is horrible. I've got a Arturia Prophet-V in the box with no way to activate the damn thing because I don't have that USB dongle anymore. Lost it years ago.

Can't even sell it because of that. :evil:
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby silikon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Bitexion wrote:That blasted authorization dongle thing is horrible. I've got a Arturia Prophet-V in the box with no way to activate the damn thing because I don't have that USB dongle anymore. Lost it years ago.

I've got an extra, no licenses on it, but I have one from I think actually, the Prophet-V.
If you still have the license code, Arturia should be able to resend you an authorization for it.

Let me know if you want it. :)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 am

silikon wrote:
Bitexion wrote:That blasted authorization dongle thing is horrible. I've got a Arturia Prophet-V in the box with no way to activate the damn thing because I don't have that USB dongle anymore. Lost it years ago.

I've got an extra, no licenses on it, but I have one from I think actually, the Prophet-V.
If you still have the license code, Arturia should be able to resend you an authorization for it.

Let me know if you want it. :)

Dude you're such an awesome board member on here. Hope you're doing well.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby silikon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:33 pm

:friends:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:40 pm

The joke is that Arturia no longer uses dongles, but you'd have to upgrade to the latest rev...not sure if they charge for that or not.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:35 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The joke is that Arturia no longer uses dongles, but you'd have to upgrade to the latest rev...not sure if they charge for that or not.

No, they don't charge. It doesn't require the 'latest' version, just V2.If you won't need to move it between machines, you can use the softkey system and it will be locked to that machine (unless you release it, lock it to another machine, etc..)

I've been using hardware keys for so long, it really doesn't bother me anymore. I'm still using some software that uses *parallel port* hardware keys.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby briandc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:25 pm

I good way to avoid the whole license issue, is to go open-source (ie. gnu-linux). Plus, open source allows anyone who programs to be able to take the code and make a fork. ;)

I'd like to see things move more in that direction. And I think we will, eventually.
Sharing is good, especially when it comes to digital music making! :)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Next

Return to Software Synthesizers