Poll: how do you feel about pirated/cracked DAW software?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

How do you feel about pirated/cracked DAW software?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:56 am

It hurts the software developers and deprives them of hard earned cash. so, NO. I purchase it legitimately.
61%
FREE SOFTWARE!?!?! I'm IN!
4%
I don't like pirating things, but I do because I simply don't realistically have the money to purchase software.
4%
I do like pirating software, as it is wayyy overpriced and putting a price on self-expression is morally wrong.
No votes
I don't use software period, I'M OLD SKOOL!
4%
I use freeware.
No votes
I do like pirating software because it gives me a chance to fully evaluate it before deciding whether or not to purchase it
29%

Total votes : 28

Poll: how do you feel about pirated/cracked DAW software?

Postby moodorf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:56 am

Just curious....my honest answer would be all of the above at certain points over the past ten years.

EDIT: uuuupdated!
Last edited by moodorf on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
moodorf

Gear: Little Phatty
Blofeld
Pulse 2
Machinedrum mk1
Pittsburgh Modular System 10
Renoise
Reason
FL

Advertisement:

Re: Poll: how do you feel about pirated/cracked DAW software

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:23 am

Where's the option for "I do like pirating software because it gives me a chance to fully evaluate it before deciding whether or not to purchase?"
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby CS_TBL » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:25 am

+1 for the TryBeforeBuy.

Also, people download/gather/collect stuff by nature, we're hunter-gatherers. I'm sure many people have a whole HD full o' warez they never use or even install.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby Hybrid88 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:41 am

Yeah eh, it's a whole can of worms.

I get that it hurts the companies but some plugins are ridiculously overpriced for what your getting, I don't mind paying up to a point but it's got to be realistic. Same with music really, people get too greedy and want too much for things.

Here's the deal, you have to ask how much money are you realistically making from your music? If it's like me and it's nothing at all, I don't see the problem of using cracks to get the job done.

If your Steve Aoki making millions off it... well, probably pay for it mate. :?
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby Hugo76 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:15 am

I think you should buy whatever you use, regardless if you make money or not from your music. There are cheap or free alternatives which are also great, so unless you have the money, I think you should go for the free stuff.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tomorrowstops » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Its already pain in the ass to maintain a fully operating (updated) computer - why the hell throw hacked software into the mix?
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby silikon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Most software developers allow a demo download for you to try for a period of time. Furthermore, I don't trust a piece of cracked software enough to take the risk of bringing in some awful electronic equivalent of the clap; lastly, a good potion of the software I use comes from small developers whom definitely live and breathe this industry and it doesn't fit into my personal moral guidelines to essentially deprive them of some small income.

People like Urs Heckmann (U-He), Chris Randall (Audio Damage), Randy Jones (Madrona Labs), Christiane and Harry Gohs (Virsyn), and plenty of others I haven't mentioned make their living off the licensing of the software they create.

If I can't afford it, I won't pirate it. There are open-source, or outright free things out there one could use if they don't want to lay out cash on a license.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Moderator hat on:

Please be careful what you post in this thread, anything supporting use of pirated software will be deleted.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:51 pm

As silikon posted there is plenty of legal free stuff available. No excuse for warez.

More and more softsynth demos can be used forever and are not audio crippled...most just shut off after 20 or 30 minutes, enough time to print tracks to audio.

If you can't afford $60 for Reaper, the evaluation copy runs forever.

PreSonus has a free version of StudioOne (no VST support, but fine for those recording 100% OTB)

Hardware usually comes bundled with free software...I have a drawer full of Live Lite installer discs, two copies of Cubase AI, a few GBs of loop libraries, etc.

The UK music mags like Computer Music and Music Tech come with DVDs full of VSTs and samples every month.

Sony gives away free Acid loop packs every week on their website.

Etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby moodorf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Moderator hat on:

Please be careful what you post in this thread, anything supporting use of pirated software will be deleted.

Let me be clear: I don't condone the use of pirated software. I'm just curious as to how widespread the use/abuse of it is. I'm not trying to be controversial or anything...... :)
moodorf

Gear: Little Phatty
Blofeld
Pulse 2
Machinedrum mk1
Pittsburgh Modular System 10
Renoise
Reason
FL

Postby CS_TBL » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:16 pm

silikon wrote:Most software developers allow a demo download for you to try for a period of time.

That would work for, say, a VST effect or a formula based synth (so, no samples). But I wouldn't ever expect a demo version of orchestral libraries - or heck, any library that has 'GB' in its description.

If I'd be a company I'd spend my pennies on generating goodwill rather than the latest copy protection or scary EULAs. I bought an expensive library some days ago, and yes: 'it can be found elsewhere too'. So, why did I buy it? Simple: I kinda like the company, the product's quality is good and the price is fair enough. Question of course is whether a company should be worried about people who're eventually going to buy, but really want a try-out period. You know, you can visit a music store and play the latest synths, but library-companies have a habit of showing awfully restrained demos - the modern day equivalent of bad factory presets in synths.

My idea, buy it if:
- you really really really use it, a lot
- you can afford it (you shouldn't go broke because of it)

Also Sprach CS_TBL
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby seamonkey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:38 pm

It always amazes me the excuses people will come up with to justify downloading stuff for free. :evil:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric
seamonkey

Postby Nistegmos » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:59 pm

All the main stuff I use now is payware heavily supplemented by little freeware utilities. But so much adware is creeping into the freeware scene it's getting annoying.

I think the REAPER creators undestand how to act best. They make a phenomenally great product, allow people to figure out how to use it without hassles, then keep the price low with lots of updates and support so people really want to buy it. They totally win.

I used to use a pirated copy of Cool Edit 2000 because it was the only tool around that could do everything I needed it to. I tried to get info on buying it, but even as near-vaporware, 14 years later they still want 300 dollars for it even though similar stuff costs like 30-100 bucks sometimes. Now I don't use it anymore because it's incompatible with my operating system and I use Wavosaur and OcenAudio and WavePad instead (all freewares).

I don't like that I used pirate stuff and I wouldn't do it again, but I learned tons from using it and it and everything else I bought pretty much except for freewares.

The good news is that so much of my DAW is freeware and my paywares really worked out. But I must admit I have paid for a few different DAWs and other programs that never worked after install or failed during install and I never got my money back. So in a way I feel like I paid my dues. Sorry if this makes anybody feel upset. I'm just being honest.

Peace. Interesting survey.
Nistegmos

Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Postby rschnier » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:31 pm

It would be interesting to compare the results of this survey to one like "Do you listen to MP3 tracks that were illegally downloaded, or do you only listen to tracks that you've legally obtained?" While the monetary amounts per unit are different, the thinking and rationalization behind people's actions are likely to be very similar.

For example, one of the remarks above was something like "they sometimes charge way more than the product is really worth" which of course is the same justification given by folks who illegally download MP3s.

People who believe "If it's too much money for what it provides, then I'll choose not to buy and use it" seem to me, to be likely to hold the same attitude whether the product is MP3s or DAWs. As a developer of a software product, I would work hard to come up with a really compelling "demo" version of my product -- spending as much or more on that as what I would spend on anti-piracy technology.
-- R.
rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby _dan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:58 pm

I like the profit sharing scheme. On top of an accessible flat rate, the software developer should earn based upon the income that the product yields, (e.g. media royalties). I don't steal software because I can afford to buy what I need, but there is plenty of MOR software with absurd costs. Also, it's annoying when vendors implement anti-piracy measures that really only penalize the people who actually by the software (e.g. ilok or mobile apps requiring network connectivity to continuously authenticate during product use).
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================
_dan

Next

Return to Software Synthesizers