Recording the Korg Ms-20 Mini

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Recording the Korg Ms-20 Mini

Postby DylanCaines » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi, I received the monophonic analogue Korg Ms-20 mini synthesiser at Christmas. I've hooked it up to an amp and it sounds great, although I would really benefit from being able to record it. I'm not very clued up when it comes to technology and would love some advice.

I have a Macbook with completely updated software (OS X Mavericks). I've been told I should buy the latest Logic Pro, but I don't want to rush into anything before I know what I'm doing.

Can I record this synth digitally? If so, what do I need to do, what software do I need to buy?

My brother seems to think I can only record this synth acoustically (i.e. through an amp, through a soundboard and into the laptop). If this is the case, what equipment do I need to buy? Things are slightly complicated by the fact my generation of Macbook only has USB connections (the soundboard we have uses a Firewire connection).

Any useful information would be greatly appreciated. I'm loving the MS-20, but I really want to record some music with it.

Thanks a lot
DylanCaines

Advertisement:

Re: Recording the Korg Ms-20 Mini

Postby Rezisehtnys » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Get a USB audio interface and then just connect the output of the MS-20 Mini to that, might need adapters of some sort as well. For recording there's plenty of free software like Audacity to get started with.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby georgemarauder » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:00 pm

^ What he said :).

For software, Audacity is fine but you can also look into the absolutely stunning program, Reaper. It's not free but you can actually use the evaluation copy for 60 days I believe, and even after 60 days you can still use it without buying it if you want, and you get access to all features and everything (but at that point you should probably just buy it, it's reasonably priced). Very powerful software and a blast to use.

Good luck!
georgemarauder

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:43 am

Ignore both of what those guys said, they're obviously not mac users. :) To plug your MacBook into the desk with FireWire just get a thunderbolt to FireWire adaptor, much cheaper than a new interface. Also you've already got GarageBand which is fine for recording, the effects it comes with are simplified versions of the ones in logic.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:41 am

Yes, forget about Audacity, Reaper or Logic, just use GarageBand...it's already installed on your Mac... and get a Thunderbolt-FW adapter to hook up the mixer as pflosi suggested.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby pflosi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 am

I'm honored that you confuse me with Stabby Meatball ;)
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:05 am

That's what happens when your typing fingers move faster than your brain, pflosi :oops:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Postby pflosi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 am

Oh, I know that all too well... :lol:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:55 pm

DylanCaines,

What mixing board are you using?
meatballfulton

Return to Software Synthesizers