Recording the Korg Ms-20 Mini using a Scarlett 2i4

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Recording the Korg Ms-20 Mini using a Scarlett 2i4

Postby DylanCaines » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi, I have the Korg Ms-20 Mini synth and I'd really like to start recording it onto my Mac. I have Logic Pro X, and am thinking of purchasing the Scarlett 2i4 USB audio interface.

I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to technology, I get kinda confused. I just wanna know - will buying this Scarlett 2i4 allow me to record the Korg Ms-20 Mini onto my Mac? I'm assuming the connections will go Synth to Microphone to Audio Interface to Logic Pro. Is this right?

If the Scarlett 2i4 is not suitable for recording the Korg, I'd appreciate information on other USB audio interfaces that could help me record it.

Thanks a lot
DylanCaines

Advertisement:

Re: Recording the Korg Ms-20 Mini using a Scarlett 2i4

Postby Tchammosaur » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 am

Yes, the Scarlett 2i4 will work. But you probably won't need a microphone...
The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenalin but is, rather, the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity.

-Glenn Gould
Tchammosaur

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:32 am

Audio out from the MS-20 to audio in on the 2i4. No microphone involved.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby madmarkmagee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:24 pm

DylanCaines wrote:Hi, I have the Korg Ms-20 Mini synth and I'd really like to start recording it onto my Mac. I have Logic Pro X, and am thinking of purchasing the Scarlett 2i4 USB audio interface.

I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to technology, I get kinda confused. I just wanna know - will buying this Scarlett 2i4 allow me to record the Korg Ms-20 Mini onto my Mac? I'm assuming the connections will go Synth to Microphone to Audio Interface to Logic Pro. Is this right?

If the Scarlett 2i4 is not suitable for recording the Korg, I'd appreciate information on other USB audio interfaces that could help me record it.

Thanks a lot

What are listening to the MS-20 with? Speakers, headphones? You plug one end of a cable into the output on the MS-20, and the other end into the audio input of the interface.Whatever you're listening to the MS-20 with you plug into the "monitor outputs" (the headphone jack and jacks at the back), and connect the laptop to the interface with a usb cable.
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby madmarkmagee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:25 pm

hmmm not sure if you knew that or getting terminology confused... Better then letting you go and buy a microphone you don't need haha
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby DylanCaines » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

And no, I didn't go out and buy a microphone unnecessarily, I had one from ages ago and was just wondering if I needed to use it.

So it'll be a USB connection from out of my synth and into the audio interface? No microphone required?
DylanCaines

Postby Tchammosaur » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:11 am

No, see, you want to put the USB cable into the body of a dying crab in seawater, and then stir the water with a wooden spoon, and hope for the best.
The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenalin but is, rather, the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity.

-Glenn Gould
Tchammosaur

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:25 am

DylanCaines wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice :)

And no, I didn't go out and buy a microphone unnecessarily, I had one from ages ago and was just wondering if I needed to use it.

So it'll be a USB connection from out of my synth and into the audio interface? No microphone required?

No, the output connection from the MS-20 mini (1/8" jack labelled "Signal out") preferably on a cable that is 1/8" on one end and 1/4" on the other (to not strain the plug by handing an adapter on it) to a 1/4" audio in on the audio interface. The USB port is just for MIDI.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby madtheory » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:22 am

Tchammosaur wrote:No, see, you want to put the USB cable into the body of a dying crab in seawater, and then stir the water with a wooden spoon, and hope for the best.

This. :lol:
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby silviu » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:02 pm

The USB port on your MS-20 Mini connects to a computer so you can send it a MIDI signal (basically note data), allowing you to write sequences on a computer program and have the synthesizer play them without using the keyboard. But this is not necessary for the audio, and the USB port has nothing to do with the audio.
silviu

Return to Software Synthesizers