Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project

Postby Waldorf Xpansion » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 am

Originally taken from a thread on electro-music.com:

I have been looking for voice expansion modules for my Q-Rack, they are hard to find now and the Waldorf distributors are tapped out.

I found a company in the US called Encore Electronics that is willing to produce a lot of 50 or more of these units, but there are 4 caveats:

1- Confirmed 50-100 or more buyers

2- A Q synthesizer and an expansion module to reverse engineer.

3- Development lead time of about 3 months.

4- Module price is estimate around $375.

Please specify if you are interested in temporarily donating an expansion module (I don't have one), I will be temporarily donating my only Q Rack if there is enough demand to take this to the next step.

Also, if you know a Q or XT owner interested in a voice expansion, send them over to this post to throw in their 2 cents.

If anybody knows some other forums for Q users to get the word out on this please let me know where else to post - any suggestions are welcome.

In talking with the Waldorf Tech, the compatability chart is below:

The XT series (including XTk) all use Motorola 56303 voice DSP.
The Q series is more complicated, the first run of Yellow Qs used a Motorola 56303 also.
This means only the oldest Q expansion modules with Motorola 56303 DSP are compatible with all XT series and Early Q (V1) Mainboards.

The Motorola DSP was changed in later Yellow Qs (V2) to 56362. This is why the newer expansion (V2) will not work and will damage the V1 mainboard of a Q or any XT/XTk mainboard.

The V2.x (Motorola 56362) expansion version will work in all 2.x and 3.x Q mainboards (including the micro Q).

Expansion Ver_____V1a_____V1b_____V2.x
XT/XTk (All)________Yes_____No______No
Q (Yellow V1)______Yes_____Yes_____No
Q (Yellow V2)______No______No_____Yes
Q (Blue)__________No______No_____Yes
Q (Halloween)_____No______No_____Yes
Q (Phoenix)_______No______No_____Yes
Micro Q__________No______No_____Yes

An email account has been setup for requesting the expansion module:

waldorfqexpand@gmail.com

If you are interested, please send an email with the following info:

1- Your XT or Q version
2- How many modules you want
3- Your location (country-state)

Ideally we would keep all related posts/questions to the one thread over on electro-music, just to keep it simple. Otherwise just register your interest at the email.

At this point we're already just over half way there, so we only need another 23 or so people on board to make this happen!

V1 Expansion Card (Motorola 56303):

V2.2 Expansion Card (Motorola 56362):

Proposed Expansion Card Front:

Proposed Expansion Card Back:

original thread: http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopi ... bbd502721d
Waldorf Xpansion

Advertisement:

Re: Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project

Postby Waldorf Xpansion » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:14 am

Since this thread was posted the number of people interested has grown quite a bit we're getting closer to the next phase. If you are definitely interested then it would be a good idea to register at the email address as per the OP or you may miss the boat on the first build.
Waldorf Xpansion

Re: Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project

Postby SecretAsianMan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:33 am

I'm on the list. Just a few more to go!

Really hope this happens. Had an XT30 once and have been kicking myself for ever letting it go.
SecretAsianMan

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods