FOUND IT! Oberheim DMX Cowbell voice card

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

FOUND IT! Oberheim DMX Cowbell voice card

Postby DesolationBlvd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Found it!
Last edited by DesolationBlvd on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the vaccine for the Access Virus.

Oberheim OB-Xa (8-voice) (sick) / DMX
Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / JP-8080 / Alpha Juno 2
Moog Voyager RME
Boss CE-300 / DR-110
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
DesolationBlvd

Advertisement:

Re: WTB Oberheim DMX Cowbell voice card

Postby madtheory » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Have you seen electrongate? You can roll your own from these:
http://www.electrongate.com/dmxfiles/eproms.html

Here's how:
http://www.electrongate.com/dmxfiles/dmxfiles_faq.html
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby DesolationBlvd » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 am

I saw those links, but I would gladly pay for an extra voice card as it would be easier (and less of a chance to screw something up) for me to just pull the entire card out than just one chip when I want to switch back and forth.

I wish I had extra (empty) voice cards for the toms, too.

Moog Voyager RME
Boss CE-300 / DR-110
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
DesolationBlvd

Postby logix » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:50 am

I realize this thread is almost 2 years old, but in case the OP hasn't gotten hold of the mentioned voice card: replacement voice cards have been re-designed and are available at the DMX files website for US$ 98 each.
As for the cowbell, having studied the documentation for modifying 1554 voice cards, it can be configured to have two pitches (as opposed to just having two sound levels) if I recall correctly. I've heard the two-pitched DMX cowbell in many recording, so you might want this instead of just a single pitched one. An example is "Let it all blow" by The Dazz band (listen from around 3:10)

I've got a DMX myself which I haven't used for years and there are many sounds I'd like to have, but getting hold of dedicated sound cards for each sound will add up in cost. Ultimately I'd have each card to be configurable for various sounds, but I'm not sure if that can be done simply with switches or if each card needs to have specific components for the particular sounds (I need to re-read that modification document linked above). It would be great if an EPROM expansion board (taking multiple voice EPROMs) could be used, and an internal switch could be used to choose between say a DMX bass drum, Linn Bass drum (boy do I regret selling my Linndrum back in the 90s!, but I digress), Electronic bass drum etc. and similarly for the snare, toms etc. instead of pulling out the EPROMs each time.

EDIT: look what I found: Someone selling the voice card you're looking for priced at US$ 99.
logix

Postby DesolationBlvd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:43 pm

logix wrote:EDIT: look what I found: Someone selling the voice card you're looking for priced at US$ 99.

Thanks! Just ordered it.

Using the spare card to put another EPROM on in the future (the card contains a stock voice).

Moog Voyager RME
Boss CE-300 / DR-110
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
DesolationBlvd

Re: FOUND IT! Oberheim DMX Cowbell voice card

Postby logix » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Glad I could be of help :)
Does your DMX have the old style/short toms (e.g. "Blue monday" by New order and "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock) or the new style/long toms? Mine's a later DMX with factory fitted MIDI and the newer sounds (i.e. the toms are marked "DX toms" on the EPROMs) but I'd like the older style toms. I read that my (2x EPROM sockets) voice board (1675C) can take both 2732 and 2764 chips, but I'm not sure if that means I have to change components etc or just replace the EPROMs. Any ideas?

If you have the old style toms I'd also like to know if the two tom boards contain two different EPROMs (the electrongate.com site has one tom EPROM named "DMX large toms" and another named "DMX small toms" while both my tom voice cards are identical with the same "DX toms" EPROMs), or just one of the EPROMs?
logix

Postby DesolationBlvd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:05 am

logix wrote:Glad I could be of help :)
Does your DMX have the old style/short toms (e.g. "Blue monday" by New order and "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock) or the new style/long toms? Mine's a later DMX with factory fitted MIDI and the newer sounds (i.e. the toms are marked "DX toms" on the EPROMs) but I'd like the older style toms.

"Unfortunately" (because one of the three reasons I bought my DMX was "Blue Monday"), mine is also a factory MIDI / "DX Tom" version.

Moog Voyager RME
Boss CE-300 / DR-110
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
DesolationBlvd

Postby logix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:25 pm

I wish I had those old style toms as well, and a better bass drum (could probably swap the existing one with a Linndrum or Linn LM-1 bassdrum) but don't want to put that much money into it right now.
From what I understand you need to use a 1554 voice card for the old style (Blue monday, Rockit etc.) toms. I believe you need to configure it as explained in Oberheim DMX Type 1554 Voice Card Configuration and furthermore by going to Oberheim Tom 1/Tom 2 Voice Card Configuration. At least I think that's the toms we're talking about as I know my "new" style toms occupy a pair of 1675c voice cards. In addition to the voice card (not sure if the existing tom cards can be used with the old style toms as well. That would be great! Perhaps someone else reading knows?) you would need to "burn" (program) EPROM chips with the sounds you want. The old style tom sounds and other sounds can be downloaded for free from here (standard DMX/DX sounds). There are also sounds for DMX EPROMs available here (Sequential Drumtraks sounds), here (Drumware), and here (Digidrum). They used to have Linn LM-1, Linndrum and Linn-9000 EPROM files as well but the copyright holders asked to have them removed unfortunately.

Do you have an EPROM programmer? I use a Mac and am out of luck (one of the reasons I haven't replaced any of my DMX sounds yet) but if you use a PC an EPROM programmer can be bought for little money at eBay. If you want to re-use an EPROM by replacing its existing sound (or have made a mistake programming one) you'd also need a UV eraser (Ultraviolet light) made specifically for erasing EPROMs. This and the EPROMs themselves are likely available at eBay as well.

Getting back to the voice cards: there's a lot of reading in the above links and I don't know if I've understood all the details, but it seems that although some sounds can be exchanged with the existing ones as a matter of just changing an EPROM chip, other sounds demand that you modify the actual voice board in question by moving jumpers and replacing diodes and resistors with other values in addition to exchanging the EPROM, so since this isn't something you'd be doing every day you would need several voice card (hence more $$$$).
I guess we need to do some planning, figuring out which sounds we want and which type of cards they fit. Reading about the replacement voice cards (1554e) for US$ 98 they seem to be very versatile for this. Apparently you can use either 2732, 2764 or 27128 EPROM chips, where the latter allows for 4 different sounds selectable with switches! Sounds like a great deal to me if you can use multiple EPROMs, all without having to change jumpers, resistors or other components as well.
Sorry for rambling :)
logix

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods