Yamaha Tx16w Typhoon Download

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Yamaha Tx16w Typhoon Download

Postby Peopleunderthesun » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Hello all
I just got a tx16w for next to nothing at an electronics recycling store. I would love to install the Typhoon os, but I can't find it anywhere. Every link Ive been to has been dead. Any chance that somebody is hosting this somewhere or that somebody can send me a disk? In trade, of course 8-)
Peopleunderthesun

Band: People Under The Sun

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha Tx16w Typhoon Download

Postby RyanC » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Hey, congrats on getting the TX16W. The Typhoon OS really turns these into great samplers.

I'm surprised to find that the download links at NuEdge are no longer available. Seems it slipped under Magnus' radar? Either way, though, I tracked down a page that is still hosting each of the PC and Mac floppy images:

http://www.synthdiy.com/show/?id=348

Oh, and if you do a search at a rather festive gear forum, you'll be able to find a large stockpile of sound disks for the TX16W.
RyanC

Postby Peopleunderthesun » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:58 pm

Awesome, thanks a lot! I have downloaded the disk image but Im having a difficult time writing a disk. It says that it must be a dd 720k disk. My usb floppy will not read dd disks. Is there a way to make hd disks work with the tx16w? Ive been able to trick my Emax into accepting them in the past. Thanks for your help.
Peopleunderthesun

Postby RyanC » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:54 am

Thankfully, it's very much possible. The following is what I do in Windows XP to format a 1.4MB HD floppy disk with a 720k FAT partition:

1) Grab a 1.4MB HD floppy disk
2) Put a piece of tape over the hole opposite of the write protection toggle
3) Place the floppy in the PC
4) Open up a command prompt screen (Start -> Run... -> type 'cmd' -> click OK)
5) Type 'format a: /t:80 /n:9' and hit Enter
6) Hit Enter again to begin formatting and 'n' when prompted to format another

The floppy is now ready for use in the TX16W as either an OS disk or a sample disk. And the tape that was placed over the hole can now be removed, as it's only needed for the Windows formatting process. Typhoon has no concern about the floppy being HD or DD to the best of my knowledge. Everything has functioned fine for me with both types of disks.

For newer versions of Windows, you may need to do a search on the computer for 'cmd' to find and open the command prompt. And for Mac or Linux, I'm not quite sure what would be necessary for either of those.

Hope this might be of some help, and feel free to let me know if I can clarify any of the above or anything else.
RyanC

Postby Peopleunderthesun » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:47 am

My drive is recognizing the disk, but only without the tape. I am using mac os x and my disk utility program is telling me that the disk is too small to be partitioned! I can write the image to the disk, but I cant create the partition. The tx is not recognizing the disk with the image written to it. This is becoming a bit of a headache. :roll:
Peopleunderthesun

Return to Samplers