Roland MC-909 question urgent

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Roland MC-909 question urgent

Postby thenew400 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:30 am

I already have a Roland sp-606, but I have a good offer to buy a 2 yr old MC-909 for $750 with the srx studio expansion and the ram upgrade as well as a 128mb Smartmedia card. I was wondering if I would want to get rid of the sp-606 after having this or would it be smart to keep both and use them together somehow? I find the sp-606 very easy to use, but there are a lot of restrictions on it. The mc-909 I have tried in a store, but it seemed very hard to use, but only becuase I thought it was a very powerful machine and there was way more to it than I originally thought. Let me know what to do. Thanks!
thenew400

Advertisement:

Postby mikdrop » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:05 am

i like the 808 much more than the 909 but they are both great. the 606 i hate. if you have either the 909 or the 808 you dont need the 606. end of story
Alesis Mircon, Ion, Microkorg, Korg EMX-1, Prophecy, Behringer Euroback UB 1202, Gibson SGs, Fender JB, PC w/ duo core P4 4GB RAM, Laptop PC w/Duo Core 2GB RAM, BBE sonic Maximizer , Abelton live 5, legacy collection, Roland DM-20 monitors
mikdrop

Postby Cruel Hoax » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:29 am

I love my 909. The 808 is nice, but is missing some features of the 909 that I really enjoy (big screen, grahic sample editing, knobs 'n sliders, etc.)

I have never considered getting a 606. Too little polyphony, and no battery operatin (which would make any junky sampler into a portable idea-box.)

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, some guitar with 6 strings, some boxes
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Postby thenew400 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:30 pm

mikdrop wrote:i like the 808 much more than the 909 but they are both great. the 606 i hate. if you have either the 909 or the 808 you dont need the 606. end of story

Why is the 808 better?
thenew400

Postby mikdrop » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:08 pm

"MC-808 has motorized faders. No matter what pattern is called up, the faders will snap to the proper position. As a result, the parameter values and position of the faders always correspond, allowing the performer to see the values instantly and make changes directly. No more unexpected jumps in values when a fader is grabbed in mid-performance. It’s always in the right position." quoted from live sound PA systems

That kind of feature is important especially for live applications. The mc 909 has a better sceen but half the polyphony as well at 64 voices. the 808 has 124 voices. The sample rate on both of them is equal and they both have USB ports for direct link to your comp!!
as for the sample editing that the 909 has internal editing .....you can do this as well with the 808 via a software editor that comes with it. Plus the 808 is a few hundred dollars less so it makes this an easier decision!! For me its a polyphony and the motorized faders!

The thing is though if you can get a 909 for 750 USD then do it as long as it work properly. Good luck!
Alesis Mircon, Ion, Microkorg, Korg EMX-1, Prophecy, Behringer Euroback UB 1202, Gibson SGs, Fender JB, PC w/ duo core P4 4GB RAM, Laptop PC w/Duo Core 2GB RAM, BBE sonic Maximizer , Abelton live 5, legacy collection, Roland DM-20 monitors
mikdrop

Postby thenew400 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:02 am

If I connected the sp-606 to the Mc-909 though, would that take care of any polyphony issues? (considering the 606 has only 8 voices). The polyphony on the 606 is actually not a big problem for me considering it has the p606 software and you can write loops in there and then import them to 1 pad on the 606 and only play it as mono, not stereo, therefore only using 1 voice. Only problem is, I hate software. Sounds dumb, but it seems like having hardware and using it is much easier than software and better sounding. I am going to be making indsutrial/noise kinda stuff. Is there any creative ways to use the sp-60 and mc-909 together? I know sp-606 is more of a phrase sampler. Let me know.
thenew400

Postby domestic » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 am

if you are recording to computer then mc909 has advantage cause it has digital output and you don't need expensive converter. I recomend you to buy it, it is very usefull box, but faders really sux. anyway you can change volume of each part with changing values on each part in mixer or via some computer midi sequencer like cubase, I like to use mc909 with cubase

good luck
domestic

Postby supermel74 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:41 am

Implementing samples into your mix is much harder on the 909 than the 606. The 606 is a sample player where as the 909 is a sample based synthesizer. For example, if you want to sample a vocal line to put over some beats on the 606, you just need to sample it and trim it to loop properly. On the 909, you need to set the asdr to play it properly. It makes things harder if you just want to audition some new loops.
Last edited by supermel74 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby supermel74 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:42 am

domestic wrote:if you are recording to computer then mc909 has advantage cause it has digital output and you don't need expensive converter. I recomend you to buy it, it is very usefull box, but faders really sux. anyway you can change volume of each part with changing values on each part in mixer or via some computer midi sequencer like cubase, I like to use mc909 with cubase

good luck
The 606 has a digital coax input and output. The 909 has digital coax in/out and optical in/out.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby lhm1138 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:38 am

That's a really great price...I think I got mine for $900 a year or so ago with full Ram and a 64mb card. Those expansion cards aren't cheap either. I like my 909 alot, but you be aware that there's some quirks and bugs. Most of the bugs are minor, but the big one is that the patches don't sustain in song mode, and to a lesser degree in pattern mode. If you work in fast tempos i.e. 120 bpm and up, it's less noticeable. It get's really annoying and noticeable at lower tempos there, especially at 90bpm and down. I've never been able to find any kind of work around for this, other than throwing everything through some external effect reverb or slave it to a DAW or something, which kind of hurts it as an "all in one" workstation live device. I also don't care for the analog side of the ADACs, Akai, Ensoniq, etc have much better converters. The MC808 might well have this same sustain problem despite the nice additions like the motorized faders...it's due to a lack of proper dsp for a master effect like there is on the Fantom workstations. Other than that, i really love the device and get alot of use out of it. The MC808 price is right, but the interface is CRAP compared to the intuitive interface of the 909 (just MO). I was rolling on the 909 and editing within a few hours. Excellent interface, good sound engine, good timestretching (software is quite a bit better, esp Melodyne, but it's great if you only go 20 bpms up or down).
lhm1138

Postby lhm1138 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:41 am

Oh yeah, I couldn't see keeping the 606 around with the 909. It'd be a bit redundant. Unless you just really like that unit. I would sell it and put that towards areas in your studio where you need additions.
lhm1138

Return to Samplers