Is a sampler what I need?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Is a sampler what I need?

Postby Forefatherss » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:09 pm

Ok, so I use about 4 synth modules (Alesis Qsr, Crumar Bit 01, Korg Wavestation SR and Waldorf XT). I also use various soft synths. I have never left the studio but I now need to take my act on the road. I have certain sounds from each synth and software that I need to take with me. I have lots of experience with synths but nothing with samplers. I am wondering if I could "sample" all the patches of sounds I need from each module and soft synth onto the sampler and take just the sampler and my midi controller along as opposed to my whole rig and my laptop. Basicly I am wondering if this is even possible or if I just have to suck it up and take everything with me and shuffle through pages on small screens in between each song and if it is possible is it just plain to hard to even attempt to do for someone with little to no experience with samplers. Further more, if what I am saying is possible, what would be a good sampler to do this with. I don't care if it's old or new, I guess ease of use would be the number one thing. If someone could answer these questions I would be extremely happy. Any help at all would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Forefatherss

Advertisement:

Postby tallowwaters » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:42 pm

this is the very reason i bought a sampler. it is time consuming and quite a head scratcher to get all of those synth sounds into a sampler (especially modulated sounds) but is very rewarding. sometimes i have to sample whole chords into one note to save memory, but that actually just makes things easier. a sampler will give you ton of flexibility as far as playing and song writing go. plus now i only carry 2 keyboards to gigs, my sampler and a microkorg.

if you want to go with somehting older look for something with at least 8 megs of memory.
emu emax II with expanded memory (what i use)
ensoniq asr 10
ensoniq eps 16+
kurzweil k2000 or k2500

newer (most are racks)
emu esi series (i use an esi4000)
emu e4k
emu e series
akai s series (s3000)
yamaha a series (a3000, a4000)
roland v synth (me pinning my gear lust onto you ;) )

one thing - find something you can put a hard drive in.

it wont be easy, but it will make you a thousand times more creative.

i would definitely look at the kurzweil stuff, simply because it has the rompler potential to replace your alesis q thing without having to sample.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby Altitude » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:43 pm

There are also programs out there that will take the audio from your synth and make a multi sample kit for your sampler automatically (http://www.samplerobot.com/index_b.php and some others) which makes life considerably easier. I use an Yamaha A3k for everything sample related but in your case, it may be a little on the lacking side so a A4k or A5k would be a better choice. There is excellent free software available (bZone) and it supports SDMI (scsi sample transport) so you can use it soundforge or Recycle.

One thing I recommend is instead of using a hard drive, find a SCSI card reader (compact flash, sd whatever) and use that instead. You can get huge cards cheap for it and it is a lot more durable than an old scsi harddrive for gigging plus it makes no noise.
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Forefatherss » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:50 am

Thanks for the great information!! It was exactly what I needed to know and I am in the market for a sampler now and very excited about the possibilities!! Thanks!
Forefatherss

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:34 am

Altitude wrote:
One thing I recommend is instead of using a hard drive, find a SCSI card reader (compact flash, sd whatever) and use that instead. You can get huge cards cheap for it and it is a lot more durable than an old scsi harddrive for gigging plus it makes no noise.

never even occured to me. any good sites for purchase?
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby Altitude » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:41 am

tallowwaters wrote:never even occured to me. any good sites for purchase?

Ebay.

The one I know of is made by Microtech

http://www.steves-digicams.com/microtech_dpai_scsi.html

I wish I could take credit for that idea but someone on the A5000 list recommended it and its a great solution for samplers (plus it will fit in the floppy slot)
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:55 pm

f-ing sweet. goodbye floppy drive...
tallowwaters

Postby Danchenka » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:23 pm

Cool. I had always wanted to install a card reader into my A4000, but I assumed it was impossible. I gotta get one of those.
Danchenka

Return to Samplers