Yamaha TG500/RM50 RAM cards- loading your own samples?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Yamaha TG500/RM50 RAM cards- loading your own samples?

Postby gmeredith » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:24 am

Has anyone got one of these machines and installed a wave RAM card and loaded your own samples? I downloaded the owner's manual, and it seems like you can kind of use it as a "sampler" by uploading wav samples from your computer if you have a wave memory RAM card installed, such as these:

http://www.sector101.fsnet.co.uk/index.html

I want a "sampler" module that I can make my own samples, but all the standard samplers don't retain the samples when you switch them off eg. Akai's, ESI's etc. The SP404's do, but they're more loop kind of samplers, and can't do keyboard range samples, splits, velocity layer etc. The TG500 seems to say it can do all this.

Anyone tried this? What is your opinion of the TG500 or RM50 modules as a standard synth or drum module as well?

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Advertisement:

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:33 am

Yes, I have an RM50 with the sample RAM. You have to load samples via MIDI sample dump which is slow but seeing as the memory is limited it's not too much of a chore.

At least you could load a bunch of drum samples or waveforms, and I used to use this a lot before I could do computer sampling.

The RM50 and TG500 engines are very similar, but with differences, the RM50 is optimised to being a drum module, and although it does have some quite good synthesis facilities (and indeed onboard synth single-cycle waveforms for the purpose), if keyboard sounds are your main focus, go for the TG500 instead.
desmond

Postby gmeredith » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:45 am

Thanks, Desmond, that's good info. I would kind of want it to be used for both drum and keyboard samples. Which makes the choice lean towards the TG500, except that it doesn't say in the TG500 manual anything about a multi-split across the keyboard for more than 4 samples, which, if I were doing drums, would want more than that. I may have to buy both modules :D

Does your RM50 enable you to do more than 4 splits? I was thinking like of having a drum sound on each individual key, and have maybe 20 or so drum sounds available at once. Is this possible? Also, can each of these have a velocity layer of several samples?

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:33 pm

gmeredith wrote:Does your RM50 enable you to do more than 4 splits? I was thinking like of having a drum sound on each individual key, and have maybe 20 or so drum sounds available at once. Is this possible?

Yes, the RM50 is optimised for that. You can create your own drum voices, using the internal or your own samples, and you can create "kits" where you assign voices to all of the 128 MIDI notes. Or you can use a voice in pitched voice mode, where you can play it all over the keyboard. And as the RM50 responds to all 16 MIDI channels, you can put any kit or pitched voice on any channel, making it quite flexible - ie you can have instant access to 16*128 drum voices if you want to.

gmeredith wrote:Also, can each of these have a velocity layer of several samples?

I haven't used mine for ages, so I'm fuzzy on the details without checking up. If I remember correctly, each voice can use two oscillators (ie samples), and you can affect how the velocity fades between the two. Don't forget, it's not a fully fledged sampler as such, simply an expandable drum synth.

You should be able to get the manual online as well, if any of that needs clarifying, and I can look stuff up if you need anything else...
desmond

Postby gmeredith » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:22 am

Thanks, again, Desmond. That sounds really good, and probably more along the lines of what I want, if it can also do note spanning voices for keyboard sounds as well as drum mulitsplits, rather than the TG500, which appears to only do 4 layers/splits on the keyboard. Although the TG500 manual does say it has multi-drum kits with user-changeable sounds....hmmm...I'll have to do more research on the TG500, but at least I know now the basic ability of the RM50, which seems pretty good.

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Return to Samplers