casio sk 100

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

casio sk 100

Postby indigoguy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:53 pm

hey, thinking of getitng hold of one of these for basic chromatic samplingwas wondering if anyone used these, they any good?Seem sorta like a big/better sk-1, i've tried googling it but can't find out certian things:
you can store 4 samples on this apparently, anyone know how long they can be? Do they stay in memory when you switch it off?
Finally does each sample act as a patch that you can play up and down the keyboard or do you have to assign them to certian keys or something?
Any help/opinions on these things greatly appreciated
cheers x
...this isn't vodka, it's not even chocolate...
Gear: mc-505, an1x, sp-404, mustang, big baby, glockenspiel, cubase
indigoguy

Advertisement:

Re: casio sk 100

Postby konvert » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:02 pm

indigoguy wrote:hey, thinking of getitng hold of one of these for basic chromatic samplingwas wondering if anyone used these, they any good?Seem sorta like a big/better sk-1, i've tried googling it but can't find out certian things:
you can store 4 samples on this apparently, anyone know how long they can be? Do they stay in memory when you switch it off?
Finally does each sample act as a patch that you can play up and down the keyboard or do you have to assign them to certian keys or something?
Any help/opinions on these things greatly appreciated
cheers x

Hello. First thing, here's the manual if you don't have it already:
http://www.konvert.net/manuals/Casio/SK ... MANUAL.pdf

Ok.

You can't have 4 samples, only 2:
Sample 1 which is 0.81 secods long and Sample 2 which is twice that, 1.62 seconds

As fas as I remember (I have lent my Casio to a friend) the samples do stay in the memory even after it's powered off.
When you sample, you just choose Sample 1 / Sample 2, record and then it maps the sample automatically to the keyboard.
There's even effects of a sort on that thing, you can reverse the sample, there's 4 preset-envelopes to choose from and you can alter the pitch of the sample also.

Hope this helps.
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior
konvert

Postby gmeredith » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:15 am

The Casio SK5 and SK8 can sample 4 different samples and retain them when the power is switched off, if batteries are in the keyboard. They also have 4 sample pads which you can use like a drum machine, at the same time as playing the sample across the keys. There is much more work being done on these keyboards than the SK100, because they're far more numerous and can be readily picked up on Ebay for less than ridiculous prices. They only have 37 keys, which is less than the SK100, but if that's not a problem, get an SK5 or SK8, they're easy to get hold of. Lots of info here, where us SK'ers hang out:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasioSK/

And here:

http://www.jz-server.de/forum2/e107_plu ... /forum.php

Lots of work has been done in these 2 forums on expanding, modding and bending these keyboards. I've done a memory expansion mod for my sk8 so it now has 128 samples instead of 4!!! Also, separate drum and voice output mods are described there, sample input quality improvement mods, adding LFO's, pitch bending etc.
As well, there's a well known MIDI IN retrofit interface kit for $44, which not only plays the Casio's notes through MIDI but also can do program changes:

http://highlyliquid.com/kits/skm/

My SK8 has all of these, and it really starts to turn it into a useful, decent lo-fi, budget sampler.

Cheers, graham
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby indigoguy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:27 am

Hey thanks guys thats all great stuff.
Might check out the smaller ones actually, saw a sk100 on ebay which is still quite cheap, not wanting to spend too much, pity about them having such a small sample time but i'll check out the mods...
what would be a reasonable price for these by the way, i'm not really wanting to spend more than about £25, the sk1s seem to go for silly money but was hoping the others were less iconic and therefore cheaper!
indigoguy

Postby indigoguy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:11 pm

ended up going to someone for over £60 yikes! Why do even toys have to be so expensive :(
indigoguy

Postby gmeredith » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:12 am

You should see the prices some of the modded SK's are asking, like $250+ :x
Sk5's go for around US$60, Sk1's for a bit less sometimes.

The Sk100 can have all the same mods done to it as the SK5 and 8 I mentioned, so if you were after it for the larger keyboard, it's a good buy. The only difference is that the SK100 has only 2 samples where as the SK5 and 8 can have 4, and they are each the same time length as the SK100's. It's a shame about the small sampling time on these keyboards, but I suppose they were made kind of as a toy back in the 80's for $100, which is pretty amazing considering sampling was fairly new and expensive back then. The Ensoniq Mirage was released only a couple of years earlier than them, and it was about $2000 with a similar sample time and quality.

Did I also mention that there is a bunch of guys working on swapping the Casio's preset sounds with their own?
They've had some sort of success, making up their own sample ROM chips:

http://www.stormscorner.com/ewb/?cat=3

Another small sampler keyboard to watch out for is the Yamaha Vss-30, 100 and 200
They do much longer (up to 8 seconds) sampling, much better sound quality and editing features. Unfortunately, none of them retain the samples when you switch them off :(

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby tallowwaters » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:24 am

i have a vss100, if you would like to buy it...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby indigoguy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:13 am

Hey thanks again graham, all good info.
Tallow: cheers for the offer but i think the shipping might be a bit steep!!, are the vss100 not the full size type ones as well? Am after sth teeny really...
indigoguy

Return to Samplers