SP-202 and 303

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Postby JSRockit » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:30 pm

Yeah, I understand Tofuik, but it's not that usable by todays standards. Sure, you can do some cute little things with it, but in the end, it isn't really worth bothering with. Can I ask...what role would this machine have in your set-up?
Arturia Microbrute / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Advertisement:

Postby ridethefader » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:11 am

not to defend the sp 202 but some great artists have made interesting use of it . tortoise and air come to mind just to name a couple. not that you should buy anything based on what other people are doing with it. i just felt bad for the little sp 202 with everybody killing it
ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Postby killedaway » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:21 am

i plan on picking up an SP202 when the price is right. depending on what kind of music you're doing, you can usually find a good use (mix and music-wise) for anything.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Postby JSRockit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:28 pm

killedaway wrote:depending on what kind of music you're doing, you can usually find a good use (mix and music-wise) for anything.

That's true about the 202, but there are also better examples of the same box (303 / 404)...that will give you even more opportunities for use.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby killedaway » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:28 pm

JSRockit wrote:
killedaway wrote:depending on what kind of music you're doing, you can usually find a good use (mix and music-wise) for anything.

That's true about the 202, but there are also better examples of the same box (303 / 404)...that will give you even more opportunities for use.

agreed. by the way, did you get rid of both of your SP404s? if so, why?
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Postby Tofuik » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:00 am

JSRockit wrote:Yeah, I understand Tofuik, but it's not that usable by todays standards. Sure, you can do some cute little things with it, but in the end, it isn't really worth bothering with. Can I ask...what role would this machine have in your set-up?

I want something as a cheap sampler to take around and collect sounds, so the battery powered and built in mic I thought would be nice additions. But if it doesn't so any sort of sequencing.. I might have to find something else or spend more money.
the cheese stands alone
Tofuik

Postby brian.only » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:37 am

I would find a minidisc recorder w/ a mic input and a binaural mic- you could do it for $150 and cheaper if you find it used.
Also the M-Audio Micro-Track is cheap and decent.
sell me your KS5!
brian.only

Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Postby Tofuik » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:41 am

my MD is on the fritz... been dropped one to many times.
the cheese stands alone
Tofuik

Postby JSRockit » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:57 pm

killedaway wrote:
JSRockit wrote:

No, I just decided to put the Sp-404 away for awhile... since my last batch of songs were made using them. It's time for some MPC songs now. :lol: I don't list everything I own all the time. Just my favorites.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby JSRockit » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Tofuik wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Yeah, I understand Tofuik, but it's not that usable by todays standards. Sure, you can do some cute little things with it, but in the end, it isn't really worth bothering with. Can I ask...what role would this machine have in your set-up?

I want something as a cheap sampler to take around and collect sounds, so the battery powered and built in mic I thought would be nice additions. But if it doesn't so any sort of sequencing.. I might have to find something else or spend more money.

The built in mic isn't worth a shit for serious sampling... too much handling noise and stuff... but it is ok for super lo-fi messing around. The MD and mic is the best cheap solution IMHO.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby ridethefader » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:05 pm

JSRockit wrote:
killedaway wrote:
JSRockit wrote:

No, I just decided to put the Sp-404 away for awhile... since my last batch of songs were made using them. It's time for some MPC songs now. :lol: I don't list everything I own all the time. Just my favorites.

just curious but what os are you running on your mpc.
ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Postby JSRockit » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:25 pm

ridethefader wrote:
just curious but what os are you running on your mpc.

I use OS 2. whatever from Akai. I don't use the JJ OS since I am used to the Akai one, it does everything I want, and I do all of my sample editing on the computer before loading them into my MPC. I guess I'm not the norm when it comes to the 1000, but if something works for me...I stick with it.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Computer Controlled » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:24 pm

I would suggest the Yamaha SU10, but since you need a sequencer on board....

:?
Computer Controlled
No Longer Registered

Postby diezdiazgiant » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:50 am

i still have my 202. the only thing i would suggest using it for is simple one, maybe 2 bar bass accompaniment loops.

even then its a bit of a random crap shoot as its easy to go out of sync due to the way you have to record and crop loops.
diezdiazgiant

Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap cuntfuck

Postby hageir » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:56 am

Computer Controlled wrote:I would suggest the Yamaha SU10, but since you need a sequencer on board....

:?

had one, it's terrible
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers