Akai MPC1000: only good for Hip and Hop or can i use it too?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Akai MPC1000: only good for Hip and Hop or can i use it too?

Postby killedaway » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:20 am

i find myself once again looking at the MPC1000. my music is loop/pattern-based, but sometimes i want a little more flexibility than that offered by my 'tribes. the sequencer in my Fantom makes me want to die, but i did like its sample storage, which was large enough to store some really long samples and even vocals, which my ESX cannot do (at least, not without filling up too fast).

so i've got a few questions:

how is the sequencer in the MPC1000? is it "fast"? intuitive? i love tapping record on my EMX and just gunning in a pattern. if i hate it, i tap Clear Part, and try again. no menus, no hassles. is the MPC the same way, at least in terms of ease-of-use?

how does it handle sequencing other gear? is anyone using this as their "linchpin", sending sequences to their synths and other gear, too?

how is it for remixing? composing complete tracks consisting of samples (including vocals)?

how's the clock's timing?

thanks for any help you folks can offer.
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Advertisement:

Re: Akai MPC1000: only good for Hip and Hop or can i use it

Postby ridethefader » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:28 am

killedaway wrote:i find myself once again looking at the MPC1000. my music is loop/pattern-based, but sometimes i want a little more flexibility than that offered by my 'tribes. the sequencer in my Fantom makes me want to die, but i did like its sample storage, which was large enough to store some really long samples and even vocals, which my ESX cannot do (at least, not without filling up too fast).

so i've got a few questions:

how is the sequencer in the MPC1000? is it "fast"? intuitive? i love tapping record on my EMX and just gunning in a pattern. if i hate it, i tap Clear Part, and try again. no menus, no hassles. is the MPC the same way, at least in terms of ease-of-use?

how does it handle sequencing other gear? is anyone using this as their "linchpin", sending sequences to their synths and other gear, too?

how is it for remixing? composing complete tracks consisting of samples (including vocals)?

how's the clock's timing?

thanks for any help you folks can offer.

what kind of music are you doing? i love my mpc for sequencing other synths. the sequencer is very user friendly and easy to use. real time sequencing is as easy as hitting record and play. the mpc is great for all forms of electronic based music.
ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Postby killedaway » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:51 am

ridethefader wrote:what kind of music are you doing? i love my mpc for sequencing other synths. the sequencer is very user friendly and easy to use. real time sequencing is as easy as hitting record and play. the mpc is great for all forms of electronic based music.

i don't wanna say Industrial, but... i don't know how to finish that sentence. :wink: i guess that's the closest description. some of what i want to start making is linear, so i'd like the MPC to help in that arena as well -- to sequence some synth/orchestral kinda stuff.

what style do you compose on yours, RTF?
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Postby ridethefader » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:02 am

killedaway wrote:
ridethefader wrote:what kind of music are you doing? i love my mpc for sequencing other synths. the sequencer is very user friendly and easy to use. real time sequencing is as easy as hitting record and play. the mpc is great for all forms of electronic based music.

i don't wanna say Industrial, but... i don't know how to finish that sentence. :wink: i guess that's the closest description. some of what i want to start making is linear, so i'd like the MPC to help in that arena as well -- to sequence some synth/orchestral kinda stuff.

what style do you compose on yours, RTF?

of course the use of the mpc in hip hop is well documented but really its a great external sequencer. of course an awesome sampler. you can use it in whatever music you do. and the more creative you get with it the more rewards you get. oh and i do glitchy type stuff. i actually make patches on my nord modular with the idea of sampling. i dont sample other peoples work that often. but you can do so much either way
ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Postby Bryce1888 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:05 am

The mpc 1000 is a great machine. It is great for sequencing and easy to use. It is great for remixing and other applications. I have seen it used a lot in hip hop, but also artists such as lcd soundsystem and hot chip use it, so it's flexible.
Bryce1888
No Longer Registered

Postby ridethefader » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:06 am

Bryce1888 wrote:The mpc 1000 is a great machine. It is great for sequencing and easy to use. It is great for remixing and other applications. I have seen it used a lot in hip hop, but also artists such as lcd soundsystem and hot chip use it, so it's flexible.

autechre have made great use of it as well
ridethefader
No Longer Registered

Postby JSRockit » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:27 am

The MPC is good for any music that uses a drum machine or a synth sequencer. It is that simple.
Korg Microsampler / Korg Volcas
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby killedaway » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:16 am

JSRockit wrote:The MPC is good for any music that uses a drum machine or a synth sequencer. It is that simple.

and that's precisely what i was hoping for. thanks. now to buy one...
killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Return to Samplers