Sniffing on a Roland S550. Experiences?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Sniffing on a Roland S550. Experiences?

Postby Spadz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Nice. I'll try to remember that!
It reminds me that the first thing I have ever sampled, and it was on a rented S-10 when they where selling new (yeah, I'm getting old), was a the flush of a toilet. When playing a key 2 octaves lower than the root key, it sounded like thunder!
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?
Spadz

Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Advertisement:

Postby Bitexion » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:35 am

Well, if you sample a good fart, and pitch it down lots, it turns into a raging bassdrum beat.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Spadz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:02 am

I got the unit yesterday, but I haven't installed it yet... I tried it at the seller's place and it sounded deceivingly good... I mean it sounded much better than I thought and I bought it before I wanted something that sounded lots less nice than my E-Synth.

Anyways, I will make sure to experiment with it.
Spadz

Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Postby aeon » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:20 am

Spadz wrote:I got the unit yesterday, but I haven't installed it yet... I tried it at the seller's place and it sounded deceivingly good... I mean it sounded much better than I thought and I bought it before I wanted something that sounded lots less nice than my E-Synth.

That's the thing - the S-550, even at 12-bit, was sound-quality competitive with the new 16-bit samplers back in the day - or so said the synthesizer rags at the time. I had no access to anything other than an Akai S950 back then.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Postby Spadz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:36 am

All this started a while ago where I decided I'd get a lower-fi sampler. I would have wanted the Emax because of the analog filters in it. I might get one eventually, but the S-550 looked interesting because of the Monitor thing and they seem to be more reliable than the E-mu. I looked at Ensoniq ones but the filters are not resonant and that sort of annoys me. And when an Ensoniq breaks, it's not so obvious to get repairs I heard of.

I almost got an S-50 about a year ago for about 125$, but I was too slow to get it... So a few months there was a S-330 for sale for about 150%, but I changed my mind when I discovered the S-550 had more ram. So I decided to wait.

No I have the S-550, with a huge pile of FD's, monitor and mouse. If I don't like it, I'll just resell it and that's all.
But I don't think it's going to happen soon.

BTW Aoen, who's picture is it in your avatar?
Spadz

Postby monolith » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:49 am

Bitexion wrote:Well, if you sample a good fart, and pitch it down lots, it turns into a raging bassdrum beat.

Note to self: dont Sniff on anyone's S550. :shock: :shock: :shock:
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Spadz » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:10 am

monolith wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Well, if you sample a good fart, and pitch it down lots, it turns into a raging bassdrum beat.

Note to self: dont Sniff on anyone's S550. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just stay away from the mic that recorded it. Luckily, the sampler doesn't sample the smell...
Spadz

Postby aeon » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:36 am

Spadz wrote:BTW Aoen, who's picture is it in your avatar?

That is a photo of Lena Katina of the pop duo T.A.T.U.

cheers,
Ian
aeon

Postby Bitexion » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:11 pm

You can see her boobies in their last video. TATU was a girl-duo band created to entice grown men who liked "lesbian" young girls. They pretended to be lesbians by kissing heavily in their videos and stage shows, but eventually it was revealed that they both had male boyfriends and it was all a hoax to make profit off guys who like the "teen lesbian" fantasy. And who doesn't? Pretty girls, horrible pop music with super-high pitched voices. THey'd frequently turn up at MTV award shows and "shock" people by kissing or fondling each other on stage.

I remember they participated in Eurovision song contest for Russia, and everyone anticipated a sex scandal on stage, and they "disappointed" everyone by appearing clothed and decent instead.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Spadz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks for the description Bitexion.
She's cute. Quite a special face. I'll stop my imagination flow before my wife finds out....
:lol:
Spadz

Postby Frayo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:41 am

Hardware samplers are great. I love mine.
You have to make them work...spend a lot of time with them.
WOW SCSI! I dream of what SCSI would be like....
I do spend a lot of time with mine....unfortunately a good 60% of it is LOADING time. I have a bucket of floppy disks and a DOS computer to do all the technological stuff.

I am quite content. I have an Akai S-900 with the hookup to the AX-60, an Emax, and a Korg DSS-1. You can so drop the sampling frequency and bit depth and go low-fi. I sample my synths...random noises, spectral patterns of stars converted into wavetables, electrical flukes, other samples, my air conditioner, the random things that come from the piece of crap known as my sound card, etc. I sample with high frequencies if I create a good patch (a synth patched through another synth MIDIed to God-knows-what with wires running from the back of the sampler all over the gearpile...a funky configuration that I will probably never think of again).

Get a hardware sampler. They are fun.
An Akai S-900 is so easy...you can approach it blindly with no manual and have gritty low-fi samples in a minute or two.
Emax takes more time....requiring an OS disk and has some crazy awesome parameters and an analog filter and digital editing ability....controlled with one data slider. I need to get and Emax II with SCSI and an Emax SE.
DSS- rocking. Too many parameters to count. Make your sample a wavetable...sync it with another sample or a hand-drawn waveform. Morph it and run it through a subtractive synthesis algorithm...it is solid....just like the keyboard...which weighs 8 million pounds and keeps looking like its going to eat my DX-7 for breakfast.

Plus there are really good sample libraries out there.
I'm looking to add a Mirage to complete the set!
Frayo

Gear: Too much to list!

My wonderful gf maintains a page on it: http://yserasaurus.tumblr.com/gearslut

Postby Spadz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:39 pm

I have a Zip drive I intend to try connecting to the S-550. I've been playing with the S-550 here and there with the 100 floppies I got, where there like 3 f?%n copies of each...

I like samplers too a lot. There is no limit with these. I see you have a DSS-1, and I think I might get one eventually... Mirage? No thanks.... the HEX interface is too much...
My first sampler was EIII when they were hot. I had to sell it for cash after a few years... This is THE piece I really miss from my past. I've been sort rebuying the synths I had before my personal "crash" about 15 years ago. I hope I get another one in the futur. I just can't afford that right now, with the house/wife/kids/cars/whatever else...

I like your ideas what you do with it. I did a lot a few years ago. It's more lack of time now that keeps me from experimenting more.
Spadz

Postby Frayo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:22 pm

As long as you can find one that's not coming from a yacko trying to sell it for $1,200, you can find EIIIs for not too much on the bay.

I know the hex is sucky, but I really want to go 8 bits.
Frayo

Gear: Too much to list!

My wonderful gf maintains a page on it: http://yserasaurus.tumblr.com/gearslut

Postby Spadz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:34 pm

No shit! I'm not going to pay 1200 or 1500$ for an EIII. They sound like a ton of bricks, but they can be a pain in the ass in terms of reliablility. I'll wait...

I agree the Mirage most probably sounds cool. I have an ESQm and the architecture is pretty close and it sounds really fat. But I work with computers all day and the last thing I want to play with on a synth is hexadecimal! [-X

Anyways, eventually I might start a thread about creative use of sampling for fun and to get new ideas.
When I have more time.
Spadz

Postby premieklovn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:14 pm

I was actually drooling at the same sampler Bitex!
I'm looking for a hardware sampler to put some nice mellotron/choir sounds in.

Could I for instance get a Akai MPC(500 or 2000XL) and use it as a choir-module/midisequencer/drum machine?
premieklovn

Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers