Casio FZ1

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Casio FZ1

Postby gmeredith » Mon May 19, 2014 1:06 am

It's a passive cable, just looks like any normal parallel port PC cable, only it's wired differently.

Here is the wiring information for both the FZ-to-PC cable, and also the FZ-to-FZ cable. The FZ-to-FZ cable wiring is towards the bottom of the document, under the heading "FZ to FZ cable pin-outs. DO NOT EVER CONNECT THIS TO A PC"

http://www.warningwillrobinson.com.au/I ... mation.pdf

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Advertisement:

Postby ahaigh01 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:46 pm

I didn't realize the FZ to FZ cable was different. So as Robber said, a good way to get dumps saved to HxC virtual disks would be to send dumps from one FZ to another FZ fitted with an HxC.
ahaigh01

Gear: Juno60, JX8P, Emulator II, FZ-1 FZ-20m, TX81Z, 01W, K2000, SY77, RX11, DR110, R8M, D4, MIDIBASS, Akai CD3000, CZ1000, Atari MegaST2, Mac Classic, PC
Band: The Advance

Postby Robber1956 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:57 am

Allright! It's working flawlessly in both directions.
No smoke coming out of the samplers.

Thanx a zillion Graham.

Yesterday I was already looking at the Casio_Data_Structure pdf file by T. Sasaki and the NEC uPD7055 datasheet but it would take me years to figure out how to make a FZ to FZ port cable from that.

No worry about connecting this (6 ft) cable to a PC because it will stay in between both samplers permanently.

Splendid!
Robber1956

Gear: Yamaha DX100,FB-01,TX81z,TX802
Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Stratocaster, Ampeg VT40
Atari MegaSTE, MegaST4, STe (wrong DMA) , STf

Postby gmeredith » Tue May 20, 2014 4:36 am

Hey, that's great news! Glad it worked to keep the beasts going.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby Robber1956 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:44 am

I found that picture again of Jeff McClintock's FZ-Dump Cable Box:

http://web.archive.org/web/200910221405 ... ample.html

and some links still work though downloading samples and tools might not be possible anymore:

http://web.archive.org/web/200910221337 ... atalg.html
Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110

Postby Grentzmann » Tue May 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi..

The diskdrive is prone to fail, but I have had a FZ1 where I installed a HxC floppy SD emulation, worked just fine.
The backlight is easy to replace.
Kindly regards
Grentzmann
XV5080/MKS30/PG200/MKS70/PG800/PCR500/DEP-5x2/E4XT/ESI32/SCI Prophet VS/MOOG Voayager XL/Drumstation/HR16-B/DBX2000/ATR-1/Onyx Blackjack/Cubase.
Grentzmann

Gear: MKS70/PG800, XV5080, PCR500, SCI Prophet VS, Moog Voyager XL, Drumstation,
HR-16B, E4XT, DEP5x2,MDX2000, ATR1, Blackjack, Cubase.

Postby Robber1956 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:09 am

Hi Morten,

if I hadn't bought those spare parts from you for the FZ1, I never would have come this far ;) .
I am still very happy with the FZ1's new display and panel, it's HxC Floppy Emulator from Lotharek (everybody with a FZ sampler needs one) and this wonderful port cable I could make thanks to the info I got from Graham.

But you're saying you "have had a FZ1 where I installed a HxC floppy SD emulation".
Did you sell it? If so, why if I may ask?

Regards,
Hobbe Faber
Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110

Postby Robber1956 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Hello FZ1,-10 and -20 users,

FYI, about loading 2 megs into the FZ through HxC Floppy Emulator.
1 meg is simple but for 2 meg you need 2 "floppies". The FZ asks for 'next disk?'

You have to remember that you have to use the HxC as an ordinary FZ floppy drive.

So this is how I do it:
Put 2 empty disks/hfe files on the Sd card you're using. You can make them on the PC with the HxCFloppyEmulator_soft v2.0.20.1 in the 'Load Raw image' menu.
Predefined Disk lay out: "Casio FZ1 3"5 DD floppy disk" and then "create empty floppy". Here you can name them already, use 'A' for the first and 'B' for the second disk. You can also name them later from HxC but that is a very tedius procedure with those tiny buttons at the front.

Start up the FZ with the SD card containing the empty "floppy disks" and go to the FZ's menu and format both these "floppies". You can nam them here again. Just don't forget to mark the first and second disk so you will know which flops to use and in which consecutive order to recall them from the SD card when asked for the next disk.
Formatting, just like saving, takes a little longer than loading.

Load the FZ through the port cable you just solderd with any 2 meg fzf file.
That file is coming from the other end of the FZ port cable where the other FZ sits and was loaded into that FZ using the floppy drive or with mididump (it takes almost 30 minutes to load a "full" full dump!).
After transfering the 2 meg file (in +/-73 seconds!) to he FZ with the Emulator you can save it to the 2 newly formatted "floppy disks" on the SD card in the HxC Floppy Emulator.
Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110

Postby ahaigh01 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for all that info Robber,

Since there is a bit of FZ love going on right now I thought I would post my experience with the sampler.

I got my first Casio FZ-1 (1 Meg- no memory upgrade) new in 1989. The local music store was selling FZ-1s at a big discount because they had ordered too many of them a couple years before and they weren’t moving. I also got my JX8P around that same time - new old stock - pretty cheap.

The FZ-1 was my first and only sampler for about 4 years until I got a Kurzweil K2000 with 8 megs of ram and removable Syquest 44 disk storage. I did lots of my own sampling of acoustic instruments as well as drum and instrumental hits and loops off CDs, etc. I used the individual outs of the FZ quite a bit. I also bought many sound disks from the factory library and the Soundwaves library. I had never heard of the 142 disk user group shareware library until years later when they were put on the internet. There was only one occasion when I got together with another local FZ-1 user to trade sounds but I got quite a few disks out of it.

By the mid 90’s I wasn’t using the FZ much anymore and many of the keys and buttons had problems. The disk drive never stopped working though! I eventually got rid of that FZ but kept all my disks.

Around 2011 I decided to start buying all my old gear back from Ebay so I could reconstruct old projects, since I have kept all my old disks, files, tapes etc. over the years. I bought an FZ-20M off Ebay and it’s in great condition and fully working. The vast majority of my FZ disks still worked. I started transferring all my disks to the computer over MIDI and it’s been a very slow process, and not fully complete yet. I have also bought quite a few more FZ disk collections off Ebay so there are always more to transfer.

A few months ago I bought another FZ-1 off Ebay with a disk collection. The FZ-1 was described as non-working, but I really just wanted the disk collection, which turned out to be pretty good. Also it was a local pickup so I didn’t have to pay any shipping. The real surprise was that the FZ-1 turned out to be fully working and in mint condition! It has the 2 meg upgrade in it as well. I won the auction for $27! This was probably my best score ever. The backlight is dimmed out but that is normal, and the keys are just a bit sticky because the foam rubber strip that the keys rest on is starting to go bad. I would like to replace that.

Floppies and drives: I have had great luck so far with FZ drives. My original FZ’s drive never failed even when the unit was in fairly poor condition. My current 2 units both have working drives, but they are also in excellent condition for their age. I always pop the disk out immediately after loading or saving because it will spin constantly - this saves on wear to the drive! I also use a cleaning disk regularly. In the event that one of my drives dies, I have a spare FZ floppy drive waiting.

Back in the day we would sometimes use DD disks to save money or in a pinch. I have found that every old DD disk formatted for FZ has now died. It was a bad idea! Good thing I didn’t do it often. I did buy a couple FZ disks off ebay that were DD and they were also dead, while the HD ones were fine.

It has been suggested that one of the reasons the FZ-1 was never a big hit like the S900 was because it used HD disks. (I believe the biggest reason was the Casio name was not taken seriously by “pros” - people used to cover up the Casio name with black tape). In 1987 HD disks were new and expensive. I still remember the first time I bought a box of 10 HD disks for my FZ-1 it cost almost $100! I was shocked, but paid it anyways. I soon found out I could find them at other stores for ½ the price, but still it was almost $5 for a blank disk. Of course over time HD disk became very cheap. By the way, I recent won an Ebay auction of 50 new HD disks for $1.25. The shipping was $6.00. :)

Sound: Of course the FZ-1’s claim to fame is that it was the first 16 bit sampler at an affordable price. The original list price was $2500. I got mine new for $1500 on clearance in 1989. I’ve always found it to be great sounding.

The filters are real analog although digitally controlled. You can hear some stepping going on when they sweep up or down. They are definitely aggressive sounding.

Even though the FZ is considered to be “close to CD quality” I feel that it does change the sound slightly and in a good way - we want our vintage samplers to do this! The sound comes back a little bit harder, tighter, crunchier, more aggressive - whatever you want to call it. Also you get some pretty strong aliasing depending on the transposition of the note. I’ve found that playing a sound down 2 steps introduces very noticeable aliasing.

Sound library: Perhaps another contributing factor to the FZ lukewarm reputation at the time of it’s release was the sound library. Official library I guess you could say good but not great. It consists of all acoustic or traditional instruments. The disks were fairly expensive to buy as well. By contrast, the Roland S50 library was available to copy for free if you brought your own disks into the music store. The disks from the first 6 volumes (there were 14 volumes of 5 disk sets) are the most commonly found as they were the first group released. In just about any FZ disk collection there will be some of these. I would guess that by the time the remaining volumes were released there was little interest in the FZ line and very few were sold. Anyway, it is extremely rare to come across these later disks. A few years ago I saw an Ebay auction of the entire 14 volume set of the original disks. It was expensive and I didn’t bid on it but now I wish I had.

The Soundwaves library was the other main source of commercial disks. It was 50 disks in 10, 5 disk sets (I’m still missing 1 disk - Classical Splits). These are also commonly found in FZ disk collections. It’s a mix of electronic and acoustic sounds and a good 80s sample library.

Then there is the Shareware library. It’s quite large (only by 1980s standards) and has tons of varied material, but is a bit uneven in quality because it was done by a mix of different people.

I have lots of original disks as well done either by myself or others. I bought a collection off Ebay recently that turned out to be a great find. Whoever created these disks was very good at sampling and I feel lucky to have come across a unique and good quality FZ disk collection. I will post them when I have gotten them transferred. I really need to build that cable and a DOS box!

An HxC version F will probably be my next big move. I will probably install it in the FZ-1 rather than the FZ-20m as I have heard the rack mount units are extremely hard to access the drive in. That will begin a whole new chapter and I hope to create a complete collection of virtual disks that will be easy to share!
ahaigh01

Gear: Juno60, JX8P, Emulator II, FZ-1 FZ-20m, TX81Z, 01W, K2000, SY77, RX11, DR110, R8M, D4, MIDIBASS, Akai CD3000, CZ1000, Atari MegaST2, Mac Classic, PC

Postby Robber1956 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:44 am

Hi Alan,

here is some more info:

ahaigh01 wrote:the keys are just a bit sticky because the foam rubber strip that the keys rest on is starting to go bad. I would like to replace that.

I had the same problem for years. So last year or so I decided to do something about it. I went to a litttle shop downtown where they sell ship equipment and found a self adhesive cell.rubber strip 10mm (0.4 inch) wide and 3 mm (0.1 inch) thick for 50ct a meter (about 3 feet, enough to cover the whole length of the keyboard). Fitted just right. You can find this everywhere on the internet. Just cut away the old rubber strip with a utility knife and remove the remains with some sticker remover and put the fresh one in. The keyboard now plays as smooth as if it was brand new and is really quiet, no rattling noise anymore and no sticky keys.

ahaigh01 wrote:Back in the day we would sometimes use DD disks to save money or in a pinch. I have found that every old DD disk formatted for FZ has now died.

Are you sure? 25 years ago when I had my FZ1 's floppydrive replaced for the first time, the guy who did this for me also removed the little pin that prohibited the use for Double Density floppies so I could use those as well. Same reason, HD floppies did cost a fortune those days. The High Density disks have this extra hole in them. When I bought the FZ10 25 years later I'd forgotten about that and when I inserted the DD floppies they didn't work. So after some thinking what in Heavens name could be wrong, almost all the HD disks where still working but none of the DD disks "that's just not normal" I thought, I suddenly rememberd that little adjustment. The FZ10 still had that pin inside!
So I drilled a hole in one of the DD floppies in the exact place where that hole in the HD floppies sits, inserted it and there it went. Bingo.
With my finest cobalt drill bit I put a hole in every of the 80 something other DD floppies. Almost everyone of them were still readable containing the data I had put on more than 20 years ago.

Man, I really hope I'm not too late and that you didn't throw away those DD floppies yet if this scenario is applicable to the story of your "failing floppies".

Best of luck with building those cables, the PC to FZ one will be far more difficult to solder than the FZ to FZ one I guess. Perhaps I'm going to try to make one as well but there's is no immidiate need for it a this moment since fzf files can be converted with HxC software.
I have the dump utility of course, it would be interesting to see if it all works.

Regards,

Robber
Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110

Postby ahaigh01 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:53 am

I'm working on making the FZ to FZ cable at the moment. I'll post how it comes out in a day or two.
About the DD disks, I have some with the holes drilled and they don't read. I will have the play with the ones I have some more though ...
ahaigh01

Postby Robber1956 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:34 am

Some of the drilled disks I tried didn't go at first. When I widened the hole, all of a sudden some of them became readable again.
Some holes were quite big but situated just a little out of the right place.
To check I had to lay a HD disk underneath the drilled ones and then look through the hole to see if there wasn't a corner missing. Eventually I managed to save some I already had given up on. But quite a few were just beyond recovery.
Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110

Postby ahaigh01 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:44 am

Ok, I finished the FZ to FZ cable and it works! Now I just need to get and install the HxC rev F.....
ahaigh01

Postby wjmwpg » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:44 pm

ahaigh01 wrote:Ok, I finished the FZ to FZ cable and it works! Now I just need to get and install the HxC rev F.....

Seems like you were on quite a roll there for awhile. I'm very curious how you've made out since then?

I just bought an FZ10m today and like many others am immediately curious what the best method for storing/loading sounds is these days. I've looked into the Lotharek floppy emulator, (which looks great), but my larger concern is software (and it's compatibility with modern OS's) that can put the FZF files onto an SD card in a way that the FZ will recognize and read them. I've just put in a request to join the FZ yahoo groups so perhaps I'll find some answers there.

I love the sound of the FZ but am quite afraid of the time I might have to sink into creating a viable working environment for it. In years gone by I'd have happily dumped endless hours into research and experimentation myself, but as I did that for more and more vintage gear I realized one day that I was no longer actually making any music (because I didn't have any time left over!), so I'm now hoping with this FZ that I can benefit from the experience of others and get it all up and running relatively quickly (it doesn't have to be painlessly, or cheap, just quick).

Cheers,
James
wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Tokai LoveRock

Postby xparis001 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm

I have a FZ1 screen and PCB, but I need an FZ0m screen / PCB. anyone in the opposite boat?
xparis001

Gear: MPC, XBase888, Machindrum, TX7, TeeBee, Virus, MWII, ESQm, NL3, DRM1, Wavestation, Pro One, SH09, Odysseus, MEK, Prophet08, JD800, A6, CZ5000, Polysix
Band: Platform One

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers