Casio FZ1

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Casio FZ1

Postby wjmwpg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:57 pm

I think I have this mostly figured out, but there's one part I still have trouble with:

Step 1: load a Casio sample set 3.5" floppy disk into the FZ's internal RAM.

Step 2: export that disk's contents as a .fzf file from the FZ's RAM to computer via MIDI cable?

Step 3: On computer convert the .fzf file to a .hde file using the HxC software

Step 4: Load the .hde file(s) from computer onto SD card

Step 5: Put this SD card into HxC floppy emulator (installed in FZ's drive bay in place of original FZ floppy drive) and load those .hde "disks" for use in FZ RAM.

Now here's the part I can't wrap my head around:

Let's say I get my hands on some "new" FZ sample sets on 3.5" diskettes, now that I've removed the original floppy drive from my FZ, how do I get the files from these new diskettes onto the computer in either .fzf or .hde format? Because surely not every single FZ sample set diskette in existence has already been converted to .fzf and shared somewhere online for easy download . . .

Cheers (like to think I'm thinking things through, or at least trying),
James
wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Tokai LoveRock

Advertisement:

Postby ahaigh01 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi James,

Well I haven't yet purchased the HxC yet but I plan on still doing it. Did just buy a collection of FZ floppies off ebay, but they haven't arrived yet.. Your steps 1-5 look correct. But yes, once you have removed the actual floppy drive you face a dilemma. My solution will be based on the fact that I have 2 FZ units and one will retain a floppy drive for loading real floppy disks. Then with the FZ to FZ cable I built I can transfer the banks to the FZ with the HxC installed and save to a virtual floppy. It should be possible to get the data from an FZ disk on a PC that has a floppy drive using Omniflop and then the HxC software. I don't have any first hand experience with this however....
ahaigh01

Gear: Juno60, JX8P, Emulator II, FZ-1 FZ-20m, TX81Z, 01W, K2000, SY77, RX11, DR110, R8M, D4, MIDIBASS, Akai CD3000, CZ1000, Atari MegaST2, Mac Classic, PC
Band: The Advance

Postby wjmwpg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. Posted the same question on another forum and got quite a detailed reply from Jeff at HxC. He outlined 4 or 5 options that would enable me to continue to read and dump FZ diskettes after the HxC emulator install. The last option was a great surprise - Jeff said I could send diskettes to him at HxC and he'd transfer them to .fzf / .hde for me! How's that for customer service?!?
wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Tokai LoveRock

Postby Robber1956 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Hello,
edited update

i have a problem which I really need to solve.
When connecting the FZ1 to the FZ10 with the FZ to FZ port cable (see previous posting) there is an audible noise of approximately actually +/- 196 hertz (key G3, I said 50Hz before :oops: ) coming from all outputs of both samplers. It's there all the time and is really disturbing. Disconnect the cables and it is gone.
I tried everything like resoldering, earthing and unearthing the power plugs, put them in the same and in different power outlets, different mixer. Kept them away from other power- and datacables, swapped the cable etc. The noise coming from the FZ1 is more distinct than from the FZ10. Even if I shut the FZ10 down it is still coming from the FZ1. The other way around there is less noise.

When transferring data through the port cabkle that becomes audible as well. I guess we all heard that sound before in other audio equipment like synthesizers and digital mixers.

Data transfer itself is no problem and goes smoothly. No corrupted data or time outs.
Did anybody who is using a simalar set up face the same problem?
Is there a solution? Will putting resistors between the pins and wires help? Or is the wiring described by Jeff McClintock in the pdf.file correct?

http://www.warningwillrobinson.com.au/I ... mation.pdf

The main problem of course is that if I want to use the FZ10 and the FZ1 together I want to be able to load the FZ10 through the floppy emulator of the FZ1 using the port cable and not use the floppy drive in the FZ10 or, least of all use mididump.

I will make another cable now because I didn't try a proper shielded cable, just an old 25 wired printercable (need only 16 according to the wiring scheme), but I'm very pessimistic about the result. Worst case scenario is that there is a error in design of CASIO's FZ1 port. That leaves me just using the cable occasionally for data transfer from the FZ10's floppy drive to the FZ1 floppy emulator's SD card and afterwards disconnect the cable. :( Not really an option.
Robber1956

Gear: Yamaha DX100,FB-01,TX81z,TX802
Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Stratocaster, Ampeg VT40
Atari MegaSTE, MegaST4, STe (wrong DMA) , STf

Previous

Return to Samplers