Elektron Octatrack!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Elektron Octatrack!

Postby TrondC » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:50 pm

http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack

finally some new info on this! Apparently this is going to revolutionize the very concept of samplers and I am QUITE excited to see just how radical this will be. They are still using the concept of "Machines" as different ways to treat the samples, including the "static" machine that reads directly off a SD card, meaning you can have whole albums (or entire songs atleast) in there, reading off in realtime, thus enabling fx and time-stretch/pitchshift realtime..
considering the insane amount of possibilities you had from just 12,5 mb of sample time in the UW, I bet this thing will be bottomless...

they will release more info every week (can you say hype machine?), so I for one will be watching the elektron site like a deranged madman the next couple of weeks...

I'm really excited :D
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Advertisement:

Re: Elektron Octatrack!

Postby kuroichi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:06 pm

The second demo has some really nice quality shifting going on...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Syn303 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:09 pm

TrondC wrote:http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack

finally some new info on this! Apparently this is going to revolutionize the very concept of samplers and I am QUITE excited to see just how radical this will be. They are still using the concept of "Machines" as different ways to treat the samples, including the "static" machine that reads directly off a SD card, meaning you can have whole albums (or entire songs atleast) in there, reading off in realtime, thus enabling fx and time-stretch/pitchshift realtime..

You better sell your other Elektron's, looks like the Octatrack will make them redundant.

TrondC wrote:considering the insane amount of possibilities you had from just 12,5 mb of sample time in the UW, I bet this thing will be bottomless...

I don't have 12.5mb on my UW+ How did you manage get that on your UW then ?

TrondC wrote:I'm really excited :D

Waste of a machine if your just going to use it for making that minimal stuff ;)
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Syn303

Postby prinsen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:43 pm

After listening to the new demos and watching the old NAMM demos my prediction is that it'll be harder to master the Octatrack, ie. make music on a level that's above merely showing off gimmicks, than it was to master the Machinedrum and the Monomachine. I'm really curious to see and learn how well the rigor of a step sequencer and the non-linearity of live sample mangling work together.

Not bitching, just thinking out loud. I expect a lot from Elektron, they've done very well so far.
prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Postby shaft9000 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:09 pm

i reckon it will be best used w/ another drumbox and synth, at least.
i wouldn't try squeezing an entire dance mix out of this (or anything, except maybe a Spectralis) , even with the multiple outs. i have yet to hear a looper that doesn't sound worse and worse once more tracks are piled up.
i hope that it at least has a LoFreq-cut for incoming audio, to prevent rumble and other unwanted frequency build-ups.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby balma » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm also quite excited about it, my favorite instruments, are the hardware samplers. If you don't have a synth, but have several synths and hdw samplers, go for it! layer and resample!
I'm simple addict to hardware samplers.

but for me, revolution would mean, a sample that can be played on realtime:

I assign the sample length to a knob, at the total left (0) I have the start of the sample, and at the right (127)I have the end, so moving the knob backwards and forward, I can advance or rewind inside the sample without having to retrigger. That would be heaven, samples that can behave like transwaves..... I'm drooling.

I'm more concerned about the methods to play samples and squeeze them, than the amount of them. 1000 samples on a machine, are simple enough for tons of music, more and more, means messing too much with thrash and things you maybe will never use.

but I smell one of these electrons on my setup.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:16 am

balma wrote:but for me, revolution would mean, a sample that can be played on realtime:

I assign the sample length to a knob, at the total left (0) I have the start of the sample, and at the right (127)I have the end, so moving the knob backwards and forward, I can advance or rewind inside the sample without having to retrigger. That would be heaven, samples that can behave like transwaves..... I'm drooling.

Why not just do that on your V-Synth?
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby TrondC » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:44 am

Syn303 wrote:
TrondC wrote:http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack

You better sell your other Elektron's, looks like the Octatrack will make them redundant.

TrondC wrote:considering the insane amount of possibilities you had from just 12,5 mb of sample time in the UW, I bet this thing will be bottomless...

I don't have 12.5mb on my UW+ How did you manage get that on your UW then ?

TrondC wrote:I'm really excited :D

Waste of a machine if your just going to use it for making that minimal stuff ;)

haha yeah :) actually considering selling off the Monomachine (after sampling it to bits of cource) and just download a softsynth to create base sounds for the octatrack, if I ever buy it...

and I thought the extra .5 mb of sample memory was one of the "upgrades" (if you can call .5 mb an upgrade) from MK1's to MK2's? I haven't filled up all the sample slots yet, but I know I've heard somewhere that the MK2's have 12.5 mb sample memory. I could be wrong of cource, but in the end it doesn't really matter :)

..aand one of the core reasons for getting an octatrack would be to move away from the "minimal" techno sound. I've actually tried quite hard to push the MD elsewhere, but it seems simple techno music is where I'm most likely to end up anyway.. somehow I can't seem to make techno that does not fall into the "minimal" category..

more ambient stuff coming up soon tho, and I'm having a good time imagining just how the DPS-1 will add a new dimesion.

anyway, even if I don't buy the DPS-1, I am quite excited to see what some people will be able to do with it.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Postby TrondC » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:47 am

oh, and Balma: you can already do that in the MD UW, samples are assigned with start point 0 and end point 127, one knob for each meaning you can warp a sample from beginning to the end and back again during playback, or go really wild with the p-locks
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Postby Mush » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:55 am

2.5 MB in UW mk2

2 MB in UW mk1
Mush

Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Postby Dubersive » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Mush wrote:2.5 MB in UW mk2

2 MB in UW mk1

So how many samples on average does that provide space for? Just curious, because I bought a used SPS-1 MKII, thinking the extra 500-600 extra dollars wasn't worth it for 2.5mb on the UW. I keep hearing otherwise though.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]
Dubersive

Postby Joey » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:04 pm

depends on what kind of samples you are loading in - i used to have an MK2 and have an mk1 on the way, but I would just drop samples straight from my comp, of all varying format (stereo and mono), all drums, and managed to have like 40ish samples at any given time on my mk2.

will see how that goes on the mk1, but I'm going to be a bit smarter this time and convert stuff to 12 bit mono to save space
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Make Noise, Harvestman, WMD, Schippmann, Addac, Doepfer, Wretch Machine, Poly Evolver, Minibrute
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Syn303 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Dubersive wrote:
Mush wrote:2.5 MB in UW mk2

2 MB in UW mk1

So how many samples on average does that provide space for? Just curious, because I bought a used SPS-1 MKII, thinking the extra 500-600 extra dollars wasn't worth it for 2.5mb on the UW. I keep hearing otherwise though.

With the new UW +drive version, there is room for 6000+ samples over 128 samplebanks, but it's still 2.5mb (48 samples in ROM) per samplebank.
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Dubersive » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Well, shit. Looks like I might want to move up to a UW+ then. Would probably be a better alternative to getting a Yamaha a5000, anyhow...thanks for the info, guys.

Sorry, don't want to derail the thread. I take it we can expect the price of the Octatrack to be similar to their other products then?
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]
Dubersive

Postby Syn303 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Dubersive wrote:Sorry, don't want to derail the thread. I take it we can expect the price of the Octatrack to be similar to their other products then?

I have heard that the price for the OT will be roughly around £1350
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member

Next

Return to Samplers