Elektron Octatrack!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Elektron Octatrack!

Postby kuroichi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 pm

blavatsky wrote:Boy this thread sure died off once the thing came out ;)

Anyone doing anything great with this? For awhile I was thinking about selling gear and trading up but there is a lack of quality demos out there it seems....haven't heard either if they got the FX section filled out more.

The hype hit overkill I think, there is an on going thread on Elektron Users, but most of the time the Octatrack talk is just people reporting bugs or checking with other members.

I think a lot of people either didnt buy one because it was essentially sold (and still is) in beta form. Or theyre off somewhere learning how to use it.

At the moment though some of the functions are still absent and the OS hasnt reached 1.0 yet (it got stuck somewhere around 0.99542S mark III alpha last I checked).
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby TrondC » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Go to Elektron-users.com, the sheer amount of octatrack-threads is intimidating...

depending on my finances I might afford one by summer
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Postby blavatsky » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Cool i'll check out the elektron site....having never used their gear the terminology/workflow is a little intimidating but seems very cool. I was hoping to replace the SP555 (and ESX1) with this but the 8 track limitation (ie, not having a bunch of samples on pads + 8 tracks, or maybe I missed something...) seems like it may not be suited as a drum/single shot machine but more of a long length phrase sampler/overall remix tool for other gear.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: A4, Bass Station II, Juno 106, x-station, venom, fusion, MV8800, SP555, SP404sx, ESX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby THEODICY » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:44 am

There are 128 sample slots available per step per track with the flex machines. Yes, you can use it as a drum machine if you wanted to, but that duty is best suited for the machinedrum. OT is better for, as you said earlier, phrase/remix tool, but deeper than what you might think! I loaded a ton of single cycle waveforms from classic synths into mine and the results were stunning. Think a little further than that and you get wavetable capabilities. There are a lot of little tricks Elektron gear possesses that is not really published which makes it pretty fun and cool. I hated even saying that!!
THEODICY

Postby kuroichi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:57 am

The OT cant replace an sp555, as the machines workflow is too different, you could use it for drum/one shot samples, but it would be a very tedious affair.

The MD can do one shots as THEODICY said, but sampling things and editing them is not as quick or convenient as an sp555, however the sequencer is far superior.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby gosh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:25 pm

It's an incredible piece of kit. Has a few bugs still but updates have been fairly constant. OS is still not v1, although another beta (0.998) is out on Monday whcih will add midi-in capabilities (playing samples from keyboard etc). Midi out sequencer will be implented in the not too distant future (I have a cirklon coming so don't care anyway :-)).

I've you've used a MD-UW it's the sampling aspect of that x100. It's not as immediate as the MD (imo) to start with but once you get the hang of it i's very fast.
The filters are indeed bloody lovely and the other effects are cool too. The delay is wicked in that you can use it as a freeze echo effect. Use this in conjuction with crossfader and scenes for much FUBAR action.
Load some single cylcle waves and go to town or re-construct a loop frmo the ground up.

I think it's got some bad press because it's confusing and the manual isn't that great (plus people have had trouble with the flash card- i haven't). Anyway I love it. I'll try adn post some workings over the weekend!
gosh

Postby blavatsky » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:05 pm

thanks for the info - I think for now it is not for me (at least given current price and gear I have) but I'm very interested to hear what can be done on it. I could see running an entire track ( or a track broken into stems) into that things and making some insane remix.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: A4, Bass Station II, Juno 106, x-station, venom, fusion, MV8800, SP555, SP404sx, ESX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby TrondC » Sat May 14, 2011 10:19 am

So, I bought one and even with very limited time this week just messing with the demo patterns shows immense potential. Anyone who have used the UW version of the Machinedrum: this is like a dedicated, 8 track UW with almost unlimited amounts of sample time :) So far the only thing that is not making me smile as much is that you can only have two effects per track, and that inlcudes filter. I see no reason why it could not have a smiliar effects section like the Machinedrum, but maybe thats just me being spoiled by the MD.

First impression also suggests that this is first and foremost a performance tool, and a bloody good one at it. even just using the preset settings for the "scene" fader yields immense performance potential. They set out to make the piece of kit that does all the things you'd miss with the Monomachine/Machinedrum combo and I think they've done it well. Currently the OS is heavily delayed, so there is quite a buzz over at the elektron-users forums from angry customers who are dissapointed because they've bought a machine with an unfinished OS. it is then worth mentioning that they very clearly stated that the current OS is not finished and that any machines bought before the final OS is released will not be 100% functional. By the time OS 1.00 comes out I will not even have had time to scratch the surface, this thing is very deep, and any buyer should be aware that learning to use one might take more time than your average electribe/microkorg...

will try to deliver a broader report as I progress through the learning-stages, and after this insane exam-period ends in june ....
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Postby THEODICY » Sat May 14, 2011 7:57 pm

You CAN have more than two fx on a track but you have to sacrifice another track and use a neighbor machine. If you get down with re-sampling effected audio you can push things a bit further and gain back lost tracks. Loving mine. I like using it as a single device for production most of the time, with vinyl samples, single cycle waveforms, drum hits, etc. It's all one needs to make great sounding tracks. I look at the beta stage OS as a learning period for what's already available. It's so deep as it is that there's plenty to explore and figure out.
THEODICY

Postby TrondC » Sun May 15, 2011 8:52 am

THEODICY wrote:You CAN have more than two fx on a track but you have to sacrifice another track and use a neighbor machine. If you get down with re-sampling effected audio you can push things a bit further and gain back lost tracks. Loving mine. I like using it as a single device for production most of the time, with vinyl samples, single cycle waveforms, drum hits, etc. It's all one needs to make great sounding tracks. I look at the beta stage OS as a learning period for what's already available. It's so deep as it is that there's plenty to explore and figure out.

Yeah, thats always an option, but like with the Monomachine, it feels heavy to sacrifice a track "just" for effects. That said I have one or two effects machines in every pattern on my Monomachine so.. But unlike the UW, I will load some whole loops, both my own and others (if I am remixing). Hm. I dont have a problem with 2 fx per track, had it not been for the fact that the filter suddenly counts as an effect.. in the MD & MnM the filter is not on the fx page, so thats a bit odd, same goes for sample rate reduction, bit rate reduction, distortion and amp mod, which are all readily available on every one of the 16 Machinedrum tracks, yet only available as the "lo-fi" effect on the OT.

That said the OT sound sculpting abilitiues far surpasses any sampler/machine I've used yet, and live looping/sampling/chopping/stretching the MD and MnM is making for a pretty powerful live trio :)

(I have still only had time to use the OT for about one hour, expect deeper diving during the summer)
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Postby Hugo76 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Does this mean it's possible to have 4 tracks with 4 effects each? Very interesting, if that's the case. I might have to look closer at the Octatrack
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby TrondC » Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Hugo76 wrote:Does this mean it's possible to have 4 tracks with 4 effects each? Very interesting, if that's the case. I might have to look closer at the Octatrack

that should be possible yes :)

or you could, in theory, have one track with 6 neighbour machines, thats access to 14 different effect slots on that one track, then the last track assigned to reasmple the output of the last neighbour machine, quite nice for a hardware box :)
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Postby THEODICY » Sun May 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean about the filter and lo-fi. BUT the filter in the OT is SO MUCH NICER than in the MD and the MM. Hugo, yes, you can have what you are asking and at much more complexity. Take a look at the manual at "neighbor machines." Like I suggested before, if you are doing bread and butter fx processing, you can re-sample the audio after filtering or chorusing, etc. and then replace the neighbor machine with another flex machine because the re-sampled audio is saved in the flex machine list. It's the work around I've been using sometimes but I rarely run into situations where the fx are holding me back.
THEODICY

Postby Hugo76 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Wow, that sounds very nice indeed. Must check it out asap :D
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby TrondC » Tue May 17, 2011 6:47 pm

while not everybodys cup of tea, this guy makes some pretty unique stuff with his Machinedrum and Octatrack:

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Korg KP3 & Zero 4

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers