Elektron Octatrack!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Elektron Octatrack!

Postby elphcoil » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Hell yes! That was done well. :D
MV-8000, juno-106, vp-330, mks-7, mks-30, mc-202, pro-one, cs-5, dx-7, 770, k2000rs, pulse+, k-station rack, evolver, chroma polaris, filterbank2, drumfire, revolution, mobius, 565T, srv-3030d, rnc-1773, 1591a, vc1-q, 266xl, kaosspad2, and alienator.
elphcoil

Advertisement:

Postby elphcoil » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:20 am

I ordered one today. I'm sure I'll be pretty busy with it this weekend. :D
MV-8000, juno-106, vp-330, mks-7, mks-30, mc-202, pro-one, cs-5, dx-7, 770, k2000rs, pulse+, k-station rack, evolver, chroma polaris, filterbank2, drumfire, revolution, mobius, 565T, srv-3030d, rnc-1773, 1591a, vc1-q, 266xl, kaosspad2, and alienator.
elphcoil

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:33 pm

I got one of these two days ago and had most of the day today with it in the studio to start learning how to use it properly. Wow. My mind is blown by what I could do with it just hooked up to the modular, with a drum machine, midi keyboard and poly synth too it should be game over.

Edit: oh shit just after I posted that I got an email about the 1.1 OS update. Trig modes is gonna make it easy to do something I need in my live set that was easy on the MPC but tricky on the octo. And the chromatic mode will be awesome for midi sequence tracks.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby hyphen nation » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey Guys,

I had been mulling on one of these bad boys for a long time, then put it out of mind [other studio needs taking priority] but as I am wrapping up a studio renovation, I was thinking about the music I want to be making. Like many I am sure, I work back and forth with sequencers and synths/guitars I play live. I am looking to integrate integrate these two ways of composing even more. One of the things I have been thinking that the Octatrack could help me with would be being able to capture phrases [performed on synth or guitar]and then have the flexibility to shift time, have some control to then craft sequences around these parts, instead of my current work flow which is notate what ever I am composing, translate elements of that into sequences, then perform over it...I don't always have a means to capture that initial inspiration that I may have when noodling on a synth, or guitar in a way that would let me build up a track around it...also, the price drop on this right now is nice...I'd like to get on that if it was something I should be serious about picking up.

Two questions:

- Am I making sense? I feel like that paragraph was about 15x more complicated than it needed to be.
- Anyone with the Octatrack believe this would be a viable application of it?
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby foodeater » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:28 pm

hyphen nation wrote:Hey Guys,

I had been mulling on one of these bad boys for a long time, then put it out of mind [other studio needs taking priority] but as I am wrapping up a studio renovation, I was thinking about the music I want to be making. Like many I am sure, I work back and forth with sequencers and synths/guitars I play live. I am looking to integrate integrate these two ways of composing even more. One of the things I have been thinking that the Octatrack could help me with would be being able to capture phrases [performed on synth or guitar]and then have the flexibility to shift time, have some control to then craft sequences around these parts, instead of my current work flow which is notate what ever I am composing, translate elements of that into sequences, then perform over it...I don't always have a means to capture that initial inspiration that I may have when noodling on a synth, or guitar in a way that would let me build up a track around it...also, the price drop on this right now is nice...I'd like to get on that if it was something I should be serious about picking up.

Two questions:

- Am I making sense? I feel like that paragraph was about 15x more complicated than it needed to be.

I'm reading that you want to capture phrases and then arrange them in a more non linear manner later on.

First, I feel the octatrack really shines as a performance tool, it does have lots of "awkward" key combinations to access functions - if you don't treat it like an instrument, play it and get the controls in your muscle memory.

So, while you could use how I think you want to I have a feeling you might be frustrated, at least going by other users that want to use the octatrack in a more "traditional" manner. I do think the octatrack is one of the best things ever, but that's another story! :D

Not to say the Octatrack can't be used as a good phrase sampler or loop grabber, but if that's all, or the main thing you want to do you might want to look at a MPC, a SP404sx or Zoom r8/r24 in hardware to capture phrases.

If you want to use software, Live and it's clips is unmatched for this kind of usage. Also, if you want something that does timing stretching among phrases, software is the way to go.
foodeater

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:29 am

foodeater wrote:

Two questions:

I'm reading that you want to capture phrases and then arrange them in a more non linear manner later on.

First, I feel the octatrack really shines as a performance tool, it does have lots of "awkward" key combinations to access functions - if you don't treat it like an instrument, play it and get the controls in your muscle memory.

So, while you could use how I think you want to I have a feeling you might be frustrated, at least going by other users that want to use the octatrack in a more "traditional" manner. I do think the octatrack is one of the best things ever, but that's another story! :D

Not to say the Octatrack can't be used as a good phrase sampler or loop grabber, but if that's all, or the main thing you want to do you might want to look at a MPC, a SP404sx or Zoom r8/r24 in hardware to capture phrases.

If you want to use software, Live and it's clips is unmatched for this kind of usage. Also, if you want something that does timing stretching among phrases, software is the way to go.

I kind of get what you're saying here but I pretty much totally disagree. Maybe I'm missing what you're meaning though.

The Octatrack is great for jamming with, capturing loops and layering stuff over the top. None of the other things which you said would be better for it (MPC, 404, Zoom recorder) can even capture a sample while a sequence is running so I'm not sure what you mean when you say they would be better. There are a few combination key presses to get to all the functions in the OT, but that's just because it packs a lot into such a compact box. I agree with you that it's better if you learn to play it like an instrument, but then it is an instrument, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't learn to play it as such.

The Octatrack doesn't work like a traditional HD recorder so you can't just jam for half an hour and then come back and pick out the good bits to build tracks from later, maybe that's what you're saying foodeater and I just missed it? You can only record to the flex tracks and you only have a total of 85MB to record to, even though now that entire amount can be reserved for one track that's still only about 15 minutes of 16 bit mono recording. If you want to jam stuff out and then come back and make tracks from the best bits Ableton Live is the best thing I've ever used to do that, but once you've got those loops of the best bits the OT is fantastic for playing them back in creative ways.

In my opinion the realtime timestretch algos in the OT are better sounding than in Live. I'm sure there are people who would disagree and I still really like some of the artifacts that you get pitching vocals down in Live but the OT sounds great.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby foodeater » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:01 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
foodeater wrote:

Two questions:

I kind of get what you're saying here but I pretty much totally disagree. Maybe I'm missing what you're meaning though.
[...]
The Octatrack is great for jamming with, capturing loops and layering stuff over the top. None of the other things which you said would be better for it (MPC, 404, Zoom recorder)
[...]
The Octatrack doesn't work like a traditional HD recorder so you can't just jam for half an hour and then come back and pick out the good bits to build tracks from later, maybe that's what you're saying foodeater and I just missed it?

Heh, that's I was attempting to say. :) I wasn't sure if hyphen nation was looking for something to capture phrases to work with later, which a lot of people seem dissatisfied with the octratrack for, or I guess some people on the elektron forums are very vocal! :roll:

As an in the moment instrument playable instrument, I don't think there is anything else like the octatrack (I could really go on about it. I've never been this into gear before!), but you have to devote instrument time to it. In my experience it's not like Live or an MPC where you sample in a bunch of clips/phrases and bang around on them until something takes shape. They are great tools too.

I'm in the minority, but I actually really like loading long static machines on the octrack to cut up because it helps me stay on task and go quickly from cutting samples to actually using them rather than amassing a ton of chunks to theoretically use later (that I never do).

And I like the sound of the time stretching, but not something I would use to "fix" miss timed parts personally.
foodeater

Postby hyphen nation » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:34 am

thanks guys...

So, I am not actually looking for a phrase sampler, or a software solution. I've got an oberheim echoplex that I can do a midi synch with that does it's job pretty well. Being familiar with the Elektron products, I was just starting to wonder if this might be an interesting instrument to integrate and evolve the way I craft music these days...kind of a scratch pad that is easily integrated into the rest of my tools. Given that I ordinarily have a sense of the melodies, and what not of a song, what I am looking to do is riff around it...build up a different bass line, instead of scoring something first, same with drums...does that make more sense? Right now, I look at the songs I am writing, capture signature bass hooks and drum beats and then add layers...I'm wondering about building back...letting the melody drive, or other inspiration drive, and let the rhythm section come in to support...

Additionall, I'm interested to see how it could effect a live performance...I dig the echoplex/looper world, but it'd be nice to move beyond...

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. They are much appreciated.
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby Tymus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

I ordered mine few days ago...

can't wait
Tymus

Postby Sir Nose » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:09 am

Been working on getting an Octatrack for a bit now. Put the idea away for a month, but now it is back. I think I have another way of funding it instead of sell/trading my phatty. Sell off a bunch of little bits. More time consuming, but easier sales due to lower pricetags. A couple pieces might be missed, but easily reacquired. The price drop is just amazing. Got to get on taking photos and writing ads.
Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Postby Tymus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:45 pm

I have it, tonight and the coming days I will play with it
and than put a small review on it.
Tymus

Postby Sir Nose » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:11 am

I am an official club member.