New Fairlight is born

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: New Fairlight is born

Postby madtheory » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 pm

OK, but that's a different issue. Yoozer was implying that the current machine can't sound exactly like a IIx, that's clearly not the case.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Advertisement:

Postby ItsMeOnly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:07 pm

madtheory wrote:OK, but that's a different issue. Yoozer was implying that the current machine can't sound exactly like a IIx, that's clearly not the case.

Truth to be said, we won't know it for sure until there's A/B recording available, although CMI voice card was fairly simple circuit as audio path goes. Besides, I'd be very surprised SSM2044 would be difficult to duplicate in a FPGA.
ItsMeOnly

Gear: In: Wavestation, 01R/W, K3m, TX802, TG77, VZ-10m, CS1x, D-550, U-220, S2000, S1100.
Broken: CR-78, DX100.

Postby kirk keyes » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:18 am

I look at it as being similar to the modern recreation of vintage automobiles. It's like a 2005 Mustang vs. a 1965 Mustang. They look similar - but the amount of the technology inside each is totally different, the feel of the cars are different, and the sound is different, but they both have an appeal and there canbe fun in driving either one.

The Fairlight 30A is much like the IIcx - they look similar, but the technology inside is very different. But fortunately, other than the silly iPod, the feel appears to be very similar between the two. And at least the sound is going to be very similar - much closer than the old Mustang compared to the New Mustang sound.

That said, if I had $20K sitting around, I would have ordered the 30A. Well, maybe if I had $30K, I would buy a IIcx and the 30A...
kirk keyes

Gear: Minimoog, Arp2600, Prophet 5 Rev 1, Pro One, Emu EII, JP-8, SH-101, D-50, S-50, S-550, S-760, JX-3P, JX-8P, JD-800, JP-8000, OB-8, Linn LM-1, MS-2000B

Postby D-Collector » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Ok this is the most explanatory video from NAMM so far:

Watch on youtube.com

MusicRadar: "Have you any other plans for future things after this, like possible software emulations, Fairlight sounds, things like that?"

Peter Vogel: Yes, absolutely. This product (the CMI30a) is aimed squarely at the high-end collectors market, were only gonna make a limited edition of a 100 of these. They're all being hand built, built to order. You obviously pay a premium for the packaging...

After we've sold this edition we'll obviously then have the software that we've developed for this, which we can run on other platforms. So we will be offering a.. It's not quite a software only system because there is a proprietary device in there which is a field-programmable gate array, FGPA, which does all the audio processing..."

Interesting. I see his angle, but that still is some expensive "packaging". As for future plans I take it he wants to sell some kind of software/hardware package for PCs like we discussed here earlier. Time will tell.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madtheory » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Sounds promising!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby D-Collector » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Here is a fresh video from Peter Vogel, a peek at the new CMI-30A:

Watch on youtube.com
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby D-Collector » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:23 am

A closer look at the sampling capabilities of the CMI-30A:

Watch on youtube.com