New Fairlight is born

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: New Fairlight is born

Postby majkemi » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm not buying anything PC/Windows based and that box down below looks just like that. I'm very disappointed.
Moog 55 System modular,Jupiter8,Prophet5,Elka Synthex,MemoryMoog+,MiniMoog, Moog RME,OBXa,Xpander,PPG 2.0,VP330,Emulator II,MKS80/MPG80,Yamaha DX5,Macbeth M3X
majkemi

Gear: see my signature

Advertisement:

Postby madtheory » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:41 pm

D-Collector wrote:Doesn't look like the light pen is working too well in the first minutes, and the sequences he plays in Page-R does little to convince anyone. A little sad I think.

It's working fine- he uses it to point at the screen but it only activates a control when the screen is touched. The sequence is fine too- what can be heard of it anyway!- above the noise of the NAMM floor.

These handheld videos are of no use in demonstrating the instrument, to be fair, they're just a novelty.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby D-Collector » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 am

You can hear it well enough. But just in case I attached a better demo from Vogel here, showing off the same sequence and a bunch of sounds. He says it is the original series IIx demo sequence with the original 8bit sounds. That woud explain it. But I mean if they wanted this thing to turn heads and impress they should have cooked up something better than that, taking use of this new CMIs capabilities.

Look at 09.55. PV: "It's built on an HP workstation..."
Yup, it's a windows PC with Crystal Core card connected to the I/O device on top.

And they are making 100 of them.

Watch on youtube.com
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 am

madtheory wrote:
D-Collector wrote:Doesn't look like the light pen is working too well in the first minutes, and the sequences he plays in Page-R does little to convince anyone. A little sad I think.

It's working fine- he uses it to point at the screen but it only activates a control when the screen is touched. The sequence is fine too- what can be heard of it anyway!- above the noise of the NAMM floor.

These handheld videos are of no use in demonstrating the instrument, to be fair, they're just a novelty.

BUY A F***ING TRIPOD!!!!!

Or at least a monopod.

Think these guys have someone holding their mics in their hand in the studio? no. Why treat a camera that way?
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby D-Collector » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Even more video:

Watch on youtube.com
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby ItsMeOnly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Interesting observation: the CMI-30A host OS might actually be Linux, but I'm waiting for confirmation if it is.
ItsMeOnly

Gear: In: Wavestation, 01R/W, K3m, TX802, TG77, VZ-10m, CS1x, D-550, U-220, S2000, S1100.
Broken: CR-78, DX100.

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:29 am

ItsMeOnly wrote:Interesting observation: the CMI-30A host OS might actually be Linux, but I'm waiting for confirmation if it is.

I wouldn't be surprised.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:55 am

majkemi wrote:I'm not buying anything PC/Windows based and that box down below looks just like that. I'm very disappointed.

Who cares what's inside it, it's what you can do with it and what sounds that come out of it that matter.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby ninja6485 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:01 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
majkemi wrote:I'm not buying anything PC/Windows based and that box down below looks just like that. I'm very disappointed.

Who cares what's inside it, it's what you can do with it and what sounds that come out of it that matter.
maybe not if you think about it solely from the sound designing musician's standpoint, but don't forget that we also have to be smart consumers. From a consumer perspective, knowing whether or not what you're about to buy is a repackeged pc in a nice looking box for 15-20x the cost matters. not that the new fairlight necessarily is that, but it's not not unreasonable to be cautious and speculate, and it's also not unreasonable to pass up buying said product because it is revealed to be a mashup of pre-existing technology for an outlandishly high price. again, this is not to say that the fairlight actually is this. i also should add that there's nothing wrong with knowing what it is and paying the 20 grand if you're in it for something like nostalgia or collectable value. after all, it is the new official fairlight reissue. i really like the sound brew feature. not sure how i feel about the perminently integrated iphone as a controller.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:22 am

OMG, I bought Pro Tools 9 which is a whole recording system, but when it arrived it was just a couple of DVDs in a box. Did I get ripped off? :D
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby D-Collector » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 am

IF, and I repeat, IF it is really a Windows / Linux PC based thing, why can't they sell the Crystal Core card, I/O interface and software as a much more affordable pack? So we could use it with our own PC, screen and mouse etc.. That was as I understand it mr. Vogels original idea, and it would make a lot more sense.

I am in fact much more curious now about the iPad / iPhone apps and look forward to seeing some proper demonstrations of them.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby ItsMeOnly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 pm

D-Collector wrote:IF, and I repeat, IF it is really a Windows / Linux PC based thing, why can't they sell the Crystal Core card, I/O interface and software as a much more affordable pack?

Like I said in now defunct post, this is to kickstart the R&D/production, I wouldn't exclude it being the final product.
ItsMeOnly

Gear: In: Wavestation, 01R/W, K3m, TX802, TG77, VZ-10m, CS1x, D-550, U-220, S2000, S1100.
Broken: CR-78, DX100.

Postby balma » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:13 pm

D-Collector wrote:IF, and I repeat, IF it is really a Windows / Linux PC based thing, why can't they sell the Crystal Core card, I/O interface and software as a much more affordable pack? So we could use it with our own PC, screen and mouse etc..

Because they are selling memorabilia. It is not intended to enter the competitive market of PC sampler applications.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby ninja6485 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:OMG, I bought Pro Tools 9 which is a whole recording system, but when it arrived it was just a couple of DVDs in a box. Did I get ripped off? :D
that depends, are you a mac user? ;) buying software is a totally unrelated situation. the dvd is a medium for the product, and not the product itself. besides, if you know what you're buying and you're ok with the price, you diddn't get ripped off. like if you bought the new fairlight as a fairlight fan to support them and have it in your collection. or if you just like it and don't care.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby madtheory » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:10 am

The bone of contention is, I think, the price. We know we don't need the PC, keyboard, audio interface etc. to get our greedy hands on a Fairlight. But we can't do it because we can't afford it. It makes us feel like paupers. That makes us angry. Suck it up.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers