New Fairlight is born

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: New Fairlight is born

Postby Hugo76 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 am

So, what can this thing do? Are there any specs somewhere?
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby ninja6485 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:53 am

Hugo76 wrote:So, what can this thing do? Are there any specs somewhere?
try the beginning of this thread ;)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby balma » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Yeap maybe all the units they are going to make on factory already have the names of the guys that are gonna purchase it. NAMM stand was just a distractor. Evil.
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby majkemi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:40 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
majkemi wrote:I'm not buying anything PC/Windows based and that box down below looks just like that. I'm very disappointed.

Who cares what's inside it, it's what you can do with it and what sounds that come out of it that matter.

I hate pc and i hate windows and yes i care what's inside. If i'm buying something for $ 20k i don't want bloody pc with windows inside because this will never work. Maybe it will work but you'll have to press "restart" every couple of hours.
Moog 55 System modular,Jupiter8,Prophet5,Elka Synthex,MemoryMoog+,MiniMoog, Moog RME,OBXa,Xpander,PPG 2.0,VP330,Emulator II,MKS80/MPG80,Yamaha DX5,Macbeth M3X
majkemi

Gear: see my signature

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:10 am

majkemi wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
majkemi wrote:I'm not buying anything PC/Windows based and that box down below looks just like that. I'm very disappointed.

Who cares what's inside it, it's what you can do with it and what sounds that come out of it that matter.

I hate pc and i hate windows and yes i care what's inside. If i'm buying something for $ 20k i don't want bloody pc with windows inside because this will never work. Maybe it will work but you'll have to press "restart" every couple of hours.

This thread is not going to turn into a Mac versus PC debate.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby CS_TBL » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:11 am

majkemi wrote:I hate pc and i hate windows and yes i care what's inside. If i'm buying something for $ 20k i don't want bloody pc with windows inside because this will never work. Maybe it will work but you'll have to press "restart" every couple of hours.

tempting.. tempting.. I'm weak... there are a couple millions around the globe who will tell you that "it's you, not the PC". ..oops! :lol: :oops:

But back to CMI30: yes, as far as I can see, the CMI30 is an ordinary every day product wearing extraordinary expensive clothes.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby tallowwaters » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:55 am

This poor thread, it's been through so much.

I'm really tempted to lock it, but I just want to believe...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby madtheory » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:42 pm

CS_TBL wrote:But back to CMI30: yes, as far as I can see, the CMI30 is an ordinary every day product wearing extraordinary expensive clothes.

Yes a PC is an ordinary product, but a Fairlight is not. You're not seeing the wood for the trees here, probably, as I said earlier, because of the price tag. Are you familiar with the sound of a IIx? There's nothing like it. Furthermore, it has a funny way of doing pretty much every sampler and sequencer function, all of which conspires to give anything you do on it a strong flavour of CMI. Plus there are still a few things it did/ does that nothing else does. Finally, the factory library is uniquely wonderful- the Korg M1 and the Kawai K1 and K3 owe a lot to it! But ya, the price= Grrr.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Yoozer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:13 pm

madtheory wrote:as I said earlier, because of the price tag.

The computer part of it should be easy enough to price. Say, $5K - that nets you a pretty hefty workstation nowadays. I can believe they picked those for stability and quality and whatnot - totally acceptable. The retro case will add to the cost, but not $15K. Then there's the card in there doing the actual work, which can indeed be expensive - PT cards carry a pretty hefty pricetag.

But that expensive? And then there's of course enough profit margin required to keep the company solvent, because hey, you kind of want to see what they come up with next year at NAMM and not see 'm go bankrupt.

It appears that there are only two ways to start in the music business. Big or small. Hartmann had a $4K computer-based synth that did awesome stuff. They're gone. The Solaris is a big $4K synth, but quite a number of people are still waiting for it (but things seem to be going well and I'm really hoping that John can make it a hit). DSI, who started again with a diminuitive box called the Evolver - is still there. Moog, who started again with a bunch of Moogerfoogers - still there, too.

The price tag is not objectionable. The price tag says "This is BIG." And we've got a pretty good history of what happens with BIG music gear, and it usually ends in tears.

Are you familiar with the sound of a IIx? There's nothing like it.

Yes, but this is not a IIx, this is something that "faithfully recreates" that sound - in their own words. I think they use the same words in brochures for virtual analogs ;).

This revolutionized music back then. Nobody's debating that - but that was a time where people already went apeshit about how you could record someone's voice and play it back at a higher tempo.

Nowadays you now expect romplers to have 128+ voices, and that you expect virtual analogs to do this and that, and that you expect sequencers to have audio and MIDI tracks. Expectations have gone up, and there's nothing jaded about it to say that.

tallowwaters wrote:I'm really tempted to lock it, but I just want to believe...

I want to believe too.

The forum's filled with posts of people who roll their eyes so hard that they launch themselves out their sockets when any other manufacturer releases something new and they'll complain and whine about everything for the stupidest of reasons - but nothing happens in those threads. This one has actually legitimate criticism - or more correctly, concern about the viability.

It'd be unfair to lock this thread again - but of course your full privilege as a moderator.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madtheory » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Yoozer wrote:Yes, but this is not a IIx, this is something that "faithfully recreates" that sound - in their own words. I think they use the same words in brochures for virtual analogs ;).

:lol: So the original designer of a digital instrument may not be capable of making a digital recreation of it? I'll see your ;) and raise you a :roll:
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.

Postby Yoozer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:38 pm

madtheory wrote: :lol: So the original designer of a digital instrument may not be capable of making a digital recreation of it? I'll see your ;) and raise you a :roll:

viewtopic.php?p=505889#p505889

That's quite a bit of R&D you have to pull off there, and not just digital either. It does however perfectly illustrate the reason for the name of the card. I just hope that's enough to get people to fork over their cash.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madtheory » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Except that in the case, the guy doesn't need to do R&D because he designed and built the thing in the first place?

Link is a red herring in this case- at a glance, the IIx didn't have interpolation or oversampling, the 3 did not have oversampling. Neither one implemented filter resonance. The big DAC in the Prophet is easily emulated these days.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Yoozer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:52 pm

The Crystal Core was announced in 2005. This press release is from 2011. Is the assumption that R&D is required so weird, then?

Shit, I want to see these folks do awesome stuff. I don't want to have this as the only blip on the product radar. I don't care if I can't afford it - I love synthesizers, samples, musical gear and I'd love it if as many people as possible can have access to it and that crazy awesome stuff is done for the sake of crazy awesome stuff. But as any "waah why won't they make a $200 Jupiter" post proves you can't ignore the business side of things.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madtheory » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:47 pm

I don't understand, R&D for what? Crystal Core is well established, Vogel knows his machine...?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ItsMeOnly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:14 am

madtheory wrote:I don't understand, R&D for what? Crystal Core is well established, Vogel knows his machine...?

Well, this is just speculation, but Fairlight ESP doesn't seem to mass produce CC-1 in the first place - that would explain the outrageous cost of the pilot run.

I'm starting to believe that the next step will in deed be PCI form factor with bundled software. From what we know, there IS a PCI-form factor CC-1, but I didn't see any standalone unit being offered for sale (although there's anecdotal reference to AU$5000.- price). Also, I'd have hard time convincing people to buy a PCI card just for the "sound" of, let's face it, archaic device - ESPECIALLY with 4-number price tag. So my speculation is that money is gathered to start mass-production of Crystal Core based cheap(er) cards.

BTW, from CC-1 brochure - the thing that's sitting on top of PC is SX-20 "Compact remote I/O" - no info on the price, but I don't think it's below 1k...
ItsMeOnly

Gear: In: Wavestation, 01R/W, K3m, TX802, TG77, VZ-10m, CS1x, D-550, U-220, S2000, S1100.
Broken: CR-78, DX100.

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers