question about the akai mpc60 as a sequencer+sampler combo..

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

question about the akai mpc60 as a sequencer+sampler combo..

Postby muteoscillator » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi guys,
I'm writing you after reading the manual and reading tons of posts on various forums... still, I didn't find a proper answer to my question, even if I have the suspect that the (negative) solution is near... But I want to be sure so here i am tapping on your shoulder...

I own both the 2500 and the 60, and i want to use the 60 as my main sequencer, cause the timing is much better than both my daw and the 2500 IMO...

I've started without reading the manual, and i've connected my mpc midi out 1 to the s950 midi in, and i wish to use the 950 just with its tone program to create an easy but effective bassline.

first of all I've sampled some drum shots and made a beat on a drum track of the 60.

then I've assignned the right out channel on the mpc and set the trk to midi, but soon realized i went wrong at all... No midi signal were send to the s950...I was thinking in a 2500 way... mistake...

Then I've realized that if I wanted to send midi notation to external sources using the pads I had to set the track in drum mode.
There start my struggle... while I was playing around with pads to made the bassine notation, I hit a pad in which a drum sample was assigned and realised that the sequencer recorded not only the bass note of the s950 but also the drum sample... i could using pad's bank b and transposing the bass sound on the s950 but i find it really annoying...

same problem occuring even when i changed the external module, changing the s950 with a waldorf microwave.

Do you understand what I mean? the 64 midi notes (35 to 98) are not all available cause some of them are already assigned to drum samples...

how can I avoid this sound overlap?

i want to feel free to use all the midi notes available without having to renounce at the mpc sampling engine cause i love it...

Can I reach this in the mpc60 or not?

I've tried almost everything... local on then off, soft thru on then off, changed the midi notes value from gm to chromatic progression, in program and master, i've check the midi connection and channel a tons of times but nothing seems to work...

Sorry again, I know this must be annoying for you but I can't figure this situation out...

thx for your help
muteoscillator

Advertisement:

Re: question about the akai mpc60 as a sequencer+sampler com

Postby nogginj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:42 am

Howdy
Let me preface this with I am on a 2KXL...forgive me if things are wildly different on the older models.

It might help to know, which OS are you using...the original OS or the mpc3000 OS?

I can assure you though, that there is a solution...this is a fundamental function of the mpc, sequencing external midi along with internal drum samples.

How I do it in my mpc, is I change the track mode to 'midi' instead of 'drum'.

I got curious, so I looked at the MPC60 manual...page 206...
The "OTHER" section:
This third section of the screen contains only one field, MIDI DRUMS
CHAN, an abbreviation for "Midi drums channel". This field selects the
midi channel over which the internal drum generator receives its "play
note" commands from the internal sequences (or from another midi
source- see note below).
The setting of this field is very important because THE ONLY WAY OF
DETERMINING WHETHER OR NOT A TRACK IS A "DRUMS"
TRACK OR A "NON-DRUMS" TRACK IS WHETHER OR NOT THE
TRACK'S MIDI CHANNEL MATCHES THE NUMBER IN THIS
FIELD! Also, any track assigned to this channel is a drums track, regardless
of the track's output jack selection (A, B, C, or D). For further information
on this subject, read the section entitled "How to assign "drums" and
"non-drums" tracks" in the "Recording sequences" section of the manual.

So it sounds like, just make sure you've got one channel dedicated to the MPC and then only use that channel to play internal drum sounds. I hope this helps get you going in the right direction.

One other idea...assign the internal drum tracks to unused midi out ports....hook your 950 up to A and assign internal drum tracks to B, or C, or D.
nogginj

Postby Nannerfan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:35 am

I'm confused... are you saying than when you are trying to trigger the s950 TONE,, you also trigger the drum sounds of the 60?

I used to have this problem. It's been awhile since I used the 60. And remember the MPC1000 much more clearly. But I believe the answer is ... turn off the program.
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:41 am

I haven't used a 60 but on the MPCs that I have used you set the Program to 'OFF' on any track you want to use to sequence external stuff.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby nogginj » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:55 pm

My quick scans through both manuals (standard and new OS) lead me to believe that the solution to this behavior is unlike almost any other mpc.

v3.1
New MIDI Local Mode internally disconnects the pads from the
sound generator. This is useful when using the pads and sound
generator with external sequencers.

v2.0
THE ONLY WAY OF
DETERMINING WHETHER OR NOT A TRACK IS A "DRUMS"
TRACK OR A "NON-DRUMS" TRACK IS WHETHER OR NOT THE
TRACK'S MIDI CHANNEL MATCHES THE NUMBER IN THIS
FIELD!

So in v3 it's a matter of changing 'local mode', and in v2 it's a matter of channel selection.
nogginj

Postby Nannerfan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Off topic - I personally think having the MPC60 without v3. Is not worth the hassle.
Nannerfan

Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Postby muteoscillator » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:42 am

thanks to all of you for your answers!
maybe my bad english, especially when I read tech stuff, turn me on the wrong side of things... :oops:
muteoscillator

Return to Samplers