Fairlight IIx library, floppy conversion! UPDATED 13.01.13

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Here is the Fairlight IIx library, straight from floppy!

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:11 pm

kushwonder wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:they weren't sampled 'from' a Fairlight, they are the original samples on floppy.

...let me clarify...how do you know what note the "original samples" are so that you can scale it correctly on a keyboard?

...without being able to recognize the note by ear or use a device.

I've been assuming they were middle C
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Advertisement:

Postby kushwonder » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
kushwonder wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:they weren't sampled 'from' a Fairlight, they are the original samples on floppy.

...let me clarify...how do you know what note the "original samples" are so that you can scale it correctly on a keyboard?

...without being able to recognize the note by ear or use a device.

I've been assuming they were middle C

I was hoping it would be that easy...that would be awesomE!

...anyone else know whats up with this?
kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby madtheory » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Ever tune a guitar?

What's "up" is that these are the samples as they are stored on the disk, but without any indication of the original sample rate or pitch (because we only have the PCM data, not the "metadata", so to speak, that is in the rest of the VC file). You'll need to have a reference- I usually use a piano because that's what I'm used to. Switch between the piano sound and the sampler so you can compare. Then position the sample on the sampler's keyboard til it's roughly in tune, then tweak the pitch in cents.

Technology is no substitute for old fashioned musical skills...
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby kushwonder » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 am

madtheory wrote:
these are the samples as they are stored on the disk, but without any indication of the original sample rate or pitch (because we only have the PCM data, not the "metadata", so to speak, that is in the rest of the VC file). You'll need to have a reference- I usually use a piano because that's what I'm used to. Switch between the piano sound and the sampler so you can compare. Then position the sample on the sampler's keyboard til it's roughly in tune, then tweak the pitch in cents.

thank you for the info! ...I figured that is what I would have to end up doing, but was secretly hoping it was going to be uber easy like all the samples were middle C or somthin ;) ...I have not had anytime to play around with these samples yet, so thought I would save some time by asking.
kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:59 pm

madtheory wrote:Ever tune a guitar?

What's "up" is that these are the samples as they are stored on the disk, but without any indication of the original sample rate or pitch (because we only have the PCM data, not the "metadata", so to speak, that is in the rest of the VC file). You'll need to have a reference- I usually use a piano because that's what I'm used to. Switch between the piano sound and the sampler so you can compare. Then position the sample on the sampler's keyboard til it's roughly in tune, then tweak the pitch in cents.

Technology is no substitute for old fashioned musical skills...

Or if any of you enlightened sampling people use Keymap, import the sample, hit the "Remap -> pitch detection" key command, and have the samples instantly mapped to the correct pitches automagically... ;)

Technology is sometimes a good substitute for old fashioned musical skills. If you have both, so much the better... :)
desmond

Postby madtheory » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Ya Keymap is great- but he just sold it all to Apple, so no more updates! :(

I'm hoping the next Logic update incorporates the ENTIRE Redmadica suite, I'm a big fan.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:33 am

madtheory wrote:I'm hoping the next Logic update incorporates the ENTIRE Redmadica suite, I'm a big fan.

I think it's unlikely - I think Apple bought Redmatica to get Andrea and his intellectual property and audio coding genius - the assets are a necessary part of the deal but not the main reason for it, imo.

Will some of that code end up with an Apple logo on? Who knows - it's possible that Logic might get some of that functionality, like auto sampling and easier creation of sampled instruments, but I can't see Apple wanting to integrate something of the power of Keymap Pro - it's just way overkill for 95% of Logic's current user base.

We'll have to see, but obviously the fruits of this union will take a while to bloom.

It is good however that Apple are still showing an interest and commitment to us pro audio types, though...
desmond

Re: Fairlight IIx library, floppy conversion! UPDATED 13.01.

Postby D-Collector » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Major update of the library, see first post!

;)
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madtheory » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Very cool! Thank you very much, glad I could help. But you've done so much work! I never got around to converting every disk so this is really great. Happy new year! :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby madtheory » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Cool- the right version of LOWSTR2. Been looking for that one for years! But no Humans disks?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby bionary » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:59 pm

is there a trick to download this? i installed iLivid and made an account, but it doesn't let me download. Thanks.
bionary

Postby D-Collector » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 am

madtheory wrote:Very cool! Thank you very much, glad I could help. But you've done so much work! I never got around to converting every disk so this is really great. Happy new year! :)

Same to you madtheory! :drinks: It's strange, for some reason I thought you had converted it all. I was gonna ask you for the "good" library, but thought that it could be fun to check out CMIOS9 myself. ;) Btw. this was no work at all compared to the horror 2 years ago. All those hours I could have made music instead.. :lol:

I think the "humans" disk contains the same as "choral"? There was no disk named humans on Fairlight US' site. And I've checked the disk ID of every disk image in CMIOS9. Also named all folders exactly according to their respective disk ID name. It may be that the guy who made the images from floppy named them differently.

Just to clear up a bit more, there are two sets of IIx disk images on the US website. The second set is named "new voice disks". I double checked and the content is the same, and both sets contain a fair amount of duplicate disks, and I have of course skipped the dupes after verifying the content. Other than that, everything that CMIOS9 would acknowledge has been converted. None of the "organs" disk images (from any source) could be read for some reason, the same with the 2 "keyboards" disks. But these samples are included in the previous set I posted, the ones I ripped from the bin files.

I've done all I can with the material I have from Fairlight US. It's complete enough, at least for me. The quality stuff is here. Btw. I am finding some great loop points in Fast Tracker 2. Will try to make a set of XI instruments. I believe those can be used in Renoise too?
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby D-Collector » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 am

bionary wrote:is there a trick to download this? i installed iLivid and made an account, but it doesn't let me download. Thanks.

Ah, you clicked the big DOWNLOAD button. The ad link.. :lol: Sorry. It's like that with free services.
Whatever you installed, remove it.

On the filesend site there is a countdown timer in the lower left corner, after the count the download button will appear. That is the correct one. ;)
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby bionary » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:37 am

Ah, you clicked the big DOWNLOAD button. The ad link.. :lol: Sorry. It's like that with free services.
Whatever you installed, remove it.

On the filesend site there is a countdown timer in the lower left corner, after the count the download button will appear. That is the correct one. ;)[/quote]

Domo Arigato D-Collector san.
bionary

Postby LBN » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:22 am

I've mirrored the updated library. Direct link here:

http://synthpop.com/FAIRLIGHT.CMI.IIX.LIBRARY.zip
LBN

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers