Waldorf Blofeld as a sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Waldorf Blofeld as a sampler

Postby ColorForm2113 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:53 am

i have been very intrigued by this little guy lately. is anybody really using the sample features on it much? i know its only 64MB or something but can you drag and drop pretty easily from pc via the usb connection? i really like the idea of using the samples within the synthesis modes, especially fm!

thanks for the feedback
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Advertisement:

Re: Waldorf Blofeld as a sampler

Postby Barely » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:01 am

Hi there :)
The sample function is very basic, that means you will have to have cut, looped, whatevered your sample on your computer before you send it to the blofeld. The transfer software is called "Spectre" and can be downloaded here:
http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/blofeld-spectre.html
There's also a third party wavetable editor (windows only):
http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/blofeld-spectre.html
The transfer itself is painstakingly slow, so all in all a quite basic sample implementation. I haven't even touched the sample import functionality yet, as I have some other gear that does that better - and the Blofeld has enough to offer me with his other forms of synthesis.
HOWEVER, at least to my ears, the Blofeld is a really great synth worthy of his predecessors (Waldorf/ PPG Wave, Waldorf Microwave, Q, etc.), and the possibility to include your own samples (at extra cost if you have the desktop version) really makes this one of the most interesting VAs around. I would never ever give mine away ;)
Cheers,
Barely.
Barely

Postby ColorForm2113 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 pm

hey thanks. kind of a bummer having to use the computer to edit samples but not to bad. As for being slow it can't be as slow as my s-550 lol. I think I'm going to put this on my GAS list.

On a side note, has anyone made or bought wood end pieces for it? Looks like someone forgot to attach them
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:44 pm

No velocity sensitivity so it's not great as a rompler.
No stretching or mangling and slow transfers so it's not great as a modern sampler.
It is great for wavetable and VA though, but I sold it to get a Roland V, which is much more capable for sampling.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:13 am

I think you mean 'no layer switching with velocity' because it certainly can detect and use velocity as a modulation source.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby ColorForm2113 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:28 am

so basically its a neat feature to have to further individualize your sounds, but not great for all your sample duties. thats kinda what i was expecting, ill be looking forward to playing around with one of these. thanks for the input
ColorForm2113

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:39 am

If you're not looking for a fully-featured ROMpler, but are content with something more akin to a Mirage (i.e. a sampling synthesizer), how does it stand up in that realm? To me it looks the same as the MD in terms of slow loading/non-existent editing, but once inside, I imagine being able to use samples in such a complex synth engine is pretty rad!
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby th0mas » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:10 pm

I had a blofeld and upgraded it to the sampling engine before selling it.

note this is from ~2 years ago, i assume their OS has dealt with some of these issues by now.

good:
- i loved the editing matrix + big screen. fastest synth I've ever had for programming.
- it sounded great

bad:
- samples were slow and when I made a multisample patch that sounded in-tune in spectre, it was out of tune after I (slowly) transferred it to my blofeld. Since this took hours to get working I kinda gave up soon after importing sounds. it was great to use their default sounds anyways though.
- having to transfer and re-transfer the entire sample bank every time is incredibly inefficient.
- in multitimbral mode you could find some modulations would affect other modulations. like my noise modifying filter cutoff on track 1 could inject noise into track 2. This was really weird.
- converter DACs were not great once using multitrack. quickly got into mud territory without very extreme bandpass filtering and even then you had to keep the volume down for head room. This wouldn't be a problem except the blofeld had very quiet output to begin with and needed a lot of makeup gain which increased the noise floor so much I had to put a noise gate after it when playing live.
- my knob encoders began to fail. This is a common problem with the blofeld and the fix is to open the thing, desolder the existing encoders and replace with higher rated replacements. Shame on them for using parts with a low life expectancy (I think the stock encoders are rated at 10,000 turns?)
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby ColorForm2113 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:57 am

th0mas wrote:I had a blofeld and upgraded it to the sampling engine before selling it.

note this is from ~2 years ago, i assume their OS has dealt with some of these issues by now.

good:
- i loved the editing matrix + big screen. fastest synth I've ever had for programming.
- it sounded great

yeah those are the main things that attracted me to it in the first place

th0mas wrote:bad:
- samples were slow and when I made a multisample patch that sounded in-tune in spectre, it was out of tune after I (slowly) transferred it to my blofeld. Since this took hours to get working I kinda gave up soon after importing sounds. it was great to use their default sounds anyways though.
- having to transfer and re-transfer the entire sample bank every time is incredibly inefficient.
can you elaborate on this some more? did it really take hours to transfer sample banks? and do you have transfer sounds every time you power on, nothing gets saved in the internal memory?
Thanks
ColorForm2113

Postby th0mas » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:59 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:can you elaborate on this some more? did it really take hours to transfer sample banks? and do you have transfer sounds every time you power on, nothing gets saved in the internal memory?
Thanks

Sorry. It saves in flash so the samples are there when you turn the thing on/off. But if you want to say, remove sample #5 and add in a new sample, you have to edit the entire sample bank on your computer and then re-send the entire 64 megs of samples.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby ColorForm2113 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Ohhhhh, that kinda sucks
ColorForm2113

Postby amenmodem » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 am

I've found the sampling feature useful by mapping drum samples to the keys. Running drums through the filters can result in some great sounds. Unfortunately, pitch modulations do not work how I would expect (they play the samples mapped to the midi note pitch shifted to rather than change the pitch of the current sample).

Single-cycle looped samples can be fun too. Although I can never get FM to work how I'd expect. There's also software that lets you design your own wavetables. Haven't had time to mess with that yet though.
amenmodem

Return to Samplers