I just realized what I want - A true hardware Maschine

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

I just realized what I want - A true hardware Maschine

Postby cram1960 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:06 am

I don't want to go through my DAW, no software, no VST.

I just want a big-assed number of samples and drum kits, already made,
ready for me to scroll through and sequence.

I use a Cirklon as my sequencer ( moving away from SONAR for creation, using it only for audio recording and mixing).

I want Maschine without the software interface.

Does this exist? I hope someone here knows of such a product.

(but I'm not hopeful sigh.)

Craig
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image
cram1960

Advertisement:

Re: I just realized what I want - A true hardware Maschine

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:47 am

I'd call that an Akai MPC.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby ninja6485 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:00 am

yea pretty much...what ashe37 said. although i find it much more satisfying to actually play my loops and one shots rather than sequencing them per se - sit down in front of a keyboard and play your song, literally. much cheaper too: i'm currently working with just my esi4000. i have almost a whole keyboard filled with loops and what not all together as a whole project that's constantly evolving. i figure i'll jam out with it, maybe play some live mini shows for a few friends, get them to play around with the pool of stuff and then record some mixes as midi data and then clean them up. i find it helps put back what i lost from when i used to write songs on the guitar vs. working with a daw. you need some way to live with the material in a dynamic sense to really get a good perspective on what your creating. i bought that esi for $70 btw. the scsi card reader was twice that, but that's still only $210 ;). i'm assuming you have a keyboard...anyway, just food for thought. i've used maschine to create a lot of the samples i've loaded into the esi on this project. another plus is if you have a recording device, you can get a nice classic sound by mixing in house in the esi (or uber cheap rack sampler of your choice) and simply recording the output. sounds like old techno or 90's drum and bass, which was my main motivation! just not the same when you multitrack it and start fiddling. if your going to do it, do it to the samples before they go in! not sure if anyone's ever taken this advice, but never the less i feel i should at least suggest it. otherwise, it's mpc all the way!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:53 pm

I'd look into a Roland MC-909, Yamaha rs7000 or similar. Or, if you have the money, Electron Octatrack would probably be a great choice.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby cram1960 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks guys.

Each of those potential solutions fall short however.

I am not interested necessarily in rolling my own samples.

The Maschine came with a 6gb library of samples, that was already arranged into kits!
All you have to do is scroll, load and play. (You can of course do more than that if you choose).

I'd like this same functionality, without the computer and/or DAW.

I guess the MPC model is closest but i'd have to find and load all of the samples into it myself...then I'd be set.

I understand the gestalt behind creating your own sampled sounds for your compositions. I just would like a really really big drum machine ...6 gb big. :)

<sigh>
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image
cram1960

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Roland MC-909 sounds like your best bet
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:56 pm

There are many multiple GB of libraries available for the MPC series. Lots and lots of them...

I'd be real hesitant about the MC-909. I had a really bad experience with an MC-303 and the interface on the 909 isn't that fundamentally different. There's a reason the 909s aren't made anymore and they made nothing to succeed it.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:20 am

cram1960,

When Maschine came out, many saw it as providing an MPC-like hardware front end to powerful software. That's why you won't be finding a 6GB sample library in hardware anywhere and Maschine sells for a fraction of an MPC5000. NI even has managed OS updates to Maschine that allow you to run their huge library of other instruments (Reaktor, Absynth, Massive, FM8 plus their flagship Kontakt) inside the Maschine environment. You will not find anything like that in hardware, guaranteed.

Some of the suggestions made above for alternatives are actually long discontinued...the Yamaha RS7000 and Roland MC909 for example have been out of production for more than 5 years now.

I'm hesitant to suggest the Beat Kangz Beat Thang, but one of it's selling points is a huge sound library. It's pretty expensive and has a checkered history to date. Your call :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby cram1960 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:49 am

While i have few posts here, I am no newb.

My post was more about wishful thinking than the realistic belief that what I wanted exists at this time.
I don't think that it's likely to ever exist, seeing as the current movement is towards ITB and away from hardware
( except of course for the modern analog synth and modular synth movements).

I want the pads...but not the sequencer
I want the samples/kits, FX and editing
...but not the PC/Mac/DAW

I am an anachronism, and I know it. I'm moving backwards, away from ITB towards completely OTB.
Away from software to completely hardware. Damn you, Cirklon <shaking fist>.
(and I don't make hip-hop, or trance :lol: )

That's why I sigh. I know I'm doomed :D
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image
cram1960

Postby foodeater » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:41 am

Why not just dedicate a mac mini (with SSD?) and a RME babyface to a Maschine? I'm sure you could set it up so Maschine standalone loaded on startup and it wouldn't even be hard to make a custom case. If all you're doing is playing back samples it shouldn't have any of the problems associated with software. Can't you load drumkits from the Maschine controller?

Although I'd argue that wanting 6 gigs of pre-made drum kits is an inherently "software" desire. Not sure I see the sense in fighting it.

As an aside, I use an MPC w/ JJOS to sequence my soft and hardware synths/samplers/drum machines. It works great!
foodeater

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 am

foodeater wrote:Why not just dedicate a mac mini (with SSD?) and a RME babyface to a Maschine? I'm sure you could set it up so Maschine standalone loaded on startup and it wouldn't even be hard to make a custom case. If all you're doing is playing back samples it shouldn't have any of the problems associated with software. Can't you load drumkits from the Maschine controller?

A Mac Mini and RME Babyface just to run Maschine? so $1500 to just run Maschine? There are much less expensive ways to set up a dedicated Maschine station....
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby cram1960 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:38 pm

foodeater wrote:Why not just dedicate a mac mini (with SSD?) and a RME babyface to a Maschine? I'm sure you could set it up so Maschine standalone loaded on startup and it wouldn't even be hard to make a custom case. If all you're doing is playing back samples it shouldn't have any of the problems associated with software. Can't you load drumkits from the Maschine controller?

Although I'd argue that wanting 6 gigs of pre-made drum kits is an inherently "software" desire. Not sure I see the sense in fighting it.

As an aside, I use an MPC w/ JJOS to sequence my soft and hardware synths/samplers/drum machines. It works great!

C'mon man. I 'm moving out of the box. I would just run Maschine on my PC, through SONAR if that was the end game. I certainly wouldn't buy another computer.

You mischaracterize my plight as "fighting it". I'm not fighting anything. I have Maschine on my pc now. I'd rather work without a computer, without a DAW, and with discrete hardware. That's it. Since I got the Cirklon and began sequencing outside of SONAR, i really enjoy NOT having a computer involved. I like the immediacy. Personal preference, no fight or dogma.

The MPC with jjos is probably in my near future, and I'll just have to get my own samples loaded up.
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image
cram1960

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:47 am

You already have Maschine, so just buy an MPC and sample Maschine into it. Then sell Maschine.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby cram1960 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:32 pm

yep. sounds like that's the ticket.

or just manage to work Maschine into my regular routine and forget about going all OTB.

I did just get a Jomox Airbase 99, though. <wide grin>
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image
cram1960

Postby nogginj » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:12 pm

my two cents ....
those midi out ports on the mpc are gateways to massive amounts of sounds, in that you can just plug in whatever you want.
sure, not built in, but infinitely expandable.

are the maschine drum samples stored as wav? seems like you wouldn't even really need to do any sampling to get them into the mpc if you build the programs on your pc.

one thing to point out about an mpc though is that, unlike maschine, you've got to load your samples up before you can audition them. many mpc / maschine heads say that is one of the biggest benefits maschine brings .... being able to instantly audition new samples even while the sequence is playing.
you COULD do this with an mpc, but the samples would have to be in RAM already.

just so its all out on the table, im not a maschine user, and i'd never do what you are trying to do, but more power to you! :D

also just wanted to add that the mc-909 and mc-303 are worlds apart .... ive actually seen 909s on stage many times doing good stuff.
nogginj

Next

Return to Samplers